Planescape Planescape Factions preview

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
No the energy planes enclose the Astral and Outer Planes, they are as far out as you can get before hitting the Far Realms.

The Doomguard's had been placed in the Quasi Elemental Planes, but now are in the Elemental Chaos.

Honestly the Shadowfell would have made mire sense then Hades, why would a none evil Faction set up shop in an evil plane that turns folks into Larva?

The Larva thing should really only be the first level like the disease thing. makes no sense to put that on the levels ruled by Greek and Norse
This is why I'm sticking with the 2e Great Wheel. Wheel Redux (with the possible exception of the Feywild/Shadowfell) feels weird to me.

Really the positive and negative energy planes were too boring to be visited and explored, and the Feywild and Shadowfell are better options. I hope the sourcebook suggested new (no-canon) planes, for example mentioning the plane of the mirrors, or the "Spiritfields" as a "Shadowfell with daylight and lots of kamis" or D&D version of the precious anime "Spirited Away".

The glimmerfolk and the ghost elves from Dragon magazine should be recovered, with the rest of paragenasi, and why not the Abyssal genasi? Technically these are like a mixtur of (supercool and popular?) tielflings and the genasis.

This is why I'm sticking with the 2e Great Wheel. Wheel Redux (with the possible exception of the Feywild/Shadowfell) feels weird to me.
I thought it was in the DMG, but I think it's been mentioned elsewhere by the designers, that Feywild is sort of an echo of the Material Plane mixed with the Positive Energy Plane, and that Shadowfell is sort of an echo of the Material Plane infused with the Negative Energy Plane.

But since those seem to be more comments from the designers instead of in the DMG like I thought it was, they're not really canon, but it seems it's something they were intending with the directions they were going.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I thought it was in the DMG, but I think it's been mentioned elsewhere by the designers, that Feywild is sort of an echo of the Material Plane mixed with the Positive Energy Plane, and that Shadowfell is sort of an echo of the Material Plane infused with the Negative Energy Plane.

But since those seem to be more comments from the designers instead of in the DMG like I thought it was, they're not really canon, but it seems it's something they were intending with the directions they were going.
Yeah, I agree there was room for those concepts. I'm just always going to be against removing lore, as I see it as rewriting history, which barring actual time travel is to me an unequivocal bad in stories.

JEB

Legend
Didn't look at this until now, but they appear to have reimagined most of the factols as they did the Ravenloft darklords:
  • Factol Pentar went from a human to an elf. (There may have been a gender shift as well, but not sure.)
  • Factol Rowan Darkwood went from a human to a tiefling.
  • Factol Hashkar appears to have been changed from male to female. (There may have been a species shift as well, but not sure.)
  • Factol Sarin also appears to have been changed from male to female.
  • Factol Erin Darkflame went from a human to probably a halfling.
  • Factol Rhys went from a tiefling to a dragonborn. (This is also notable, as it contradicts the depiction in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything of "Guildmaster Rhys". So Tasha's is no longer canon under the current paradigm, either?)

Factols Terrance, Lhar, and Skall don't appear to be significantly reimagined, however. It's also hard to tell if Factol Alisohn Nilesia changed, with her face mostly covered. Factol Saladryn is a new character, near as I can tell.

Basically, though, they likely did a Ravenloft, not a Dragonlance.

EDIT: Update, see posts from @MonsterEnvy and @Veltharis ap Rylix further down, at least four of the classic factols (Sarin, Rowan, Hashkar, and Rhys) do not appear to have been changed according to preview art. So the recruitment art probably doesn't represent reimagined designs for the factols, and a Dragonlance approach remains possible.

Last edited:

Remove ads