Planescape Planescape IS D&D Says Jeremy Crawford

Front & center In 2024 core rulebooks.

Planescape is Jeremy Crawford's favourite D&D setting. "It is D&D", he says, as he talks about how in the 2024 core rulebook updates Planescape will be more up front and center as "the setting of settings".

clearstream

(He, Him)
Um, how about no? I don't need someone else saying "this has to be the way it's going to be." If I want to chuck FR, Ravenloft, Planescape or Dark Sun out the window in favor of the cosmology of my homebrew, that's the way it used to be and how it should be.
Unfortunately, you're only allowed to play D&D if you use the default setting. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

teitan

Legend
Well sure. Almost by definition you don't need external sources to homebrew. They can be helpful though.

My take is that 5e is great at encouraging homebrewing, but less good at supporting it. Plenty (most?) of 5e material is written with the assumption that DMs will steal bits and pieces of it to use for their own campaigns. And, in my opinion, the 5e DMG does a better job of supporting homebrew campaigns than any previous DMG. But since the DMG, we haven't seen as much material specifically supporting homebrew campaigns, at least compared to previous editions.
My take on homebrew is making it up myself. I don’t need WOTC to do it for me.

AndersH

Explorer
I've been running a D&D 5e Forgotten Realms campaign for the last 4 years.

It ended poorly - partly because of my missing oversight, partly because of a player's insistance on a destructive behavior and mostly because of the system.

So I've given up on D&D.

Then this comes along and will probably drag me back in. I love the versatility in Planescape - I just need a different system.

Forgotten Realms has never been 5e’s default setting. Jeremy Crawford has been on record for years as saying that 5e’s default setting is “the multiverse,” in which FR, GH, Eberron, Ravenloft, and all the other various worlds exist.

In other words, Planescape has always low-key been the default setting, and they’re finally just saying the quiet part out loud.

Jeremy Crawford says alot of things you should take a face value.

dave2008

Legend
I really wonder if the 2024 DMG is going to be as encouraging of homebrew as the 2014 DMG is. Homebrew doesn't help their top priority of getting every gamer to buy every one of their books and so maximize their shareholders profits for the "undermonitized" game of D&D. If anything it does the opposite.
IDK, I am a homebrew only DM. We have never used a published setting at all and never a published adventure since 1e. However, I have pruchased more 5e products than all other editions combined (which is mostly 1e & 4e with a little 2e). I buy the adventures and setting books to steal ideas and encounters (the anthologies are great for this) and for monsters, magic items, and interesting locations.

So I don't know what the 2024 DMG will have or what will be its focus (and I do worry it will have less variant & optional rules when I want more), but homebrewing as lead me to but more WotC (and 3PP) products than I ever have.

Just my opinion mate. Across the Spiderverse wasn’t nearly as good as the first one, and Mortal Kombat 1 isn’t nearly as good as the one released just prior. Multiverses are played out, because they are hard to pull off and most are creatively bankrupt. But if you think that WoTC and it’s Corporate sanitized Shareholder approved DnD can pull off a multiverse as good as Everything Everywhere All At Once, well, I don’t know how to help you. I read what Crawford said and it comes across as boring and derivative. But again, just my opinion, and if you feel the need to correct the wrong think of a stranger on the internet who wrote his comment in less than 20 seconds on the phone, that’s on you.

It depends on the type of Multiverse, D&D Cosmology VS D&D Parrell Timelines.

D&D Cosmology is awesome and hasn't been a disaster for D&D, the upcoming Vecna Adventure on the other hand which likely was inspired by Everything Everywhere All At Once, may very likely prove to be a Spell plague level disaster, but on a multiversal, multi setting scale (much like March of the Machine was). I just had a sinking feeling Vecna is going to be an epic disaster.

They can't even handle their own canon in this edition, they won't be able to handle the complexity of what they might be trying to do.

It won't be 5e24 core books that kills 5e, it'll be the Vecna Adventure if they screw it up.

Remove ads

Remove ads