• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Planescape Planescape Pre-order Page Shows Off The Books!

Take a look at the books, poster map, and DM screen!

You can now pre-order Planescape: Adventures in the Multiverse from D&D Beyond. The set comes out on October 17th.

Scroll down through the comments to see more various peeks at the books!

• Discover 2 new backgrounds, the Gate Warden & the Planar Philosopher, to build planar characters in the D&D Beyond character builder
  • Channel 7 otherworldly feats, new intriguing magic spells & more powered by planar energies
  • Explore 12 new ascendant factions, each with distinct cosmic ideologies
  • Face over 50 unusual creatures including planar incarnates, hierarch modrons, and time dragons in the Encounter Builder
  • Journey across the Outlands in an adventure for characters levels 3-10 and 17
  • Adds adventure hooks, encounter tables, maps of Sigil and the Outlands & more to your game
This 3 books set comprises:
  • Sigil and the Outlands: a setting book full of planar character options with details on the fantastic City of Doors, descriptions of the Outlands, the gate-towns that lead to the Outer planes, and more
  • Turn of the Fortunes Wheel: an adventure set in Sigil and the Outlands designed for character levels 3-10 with a jump to level 17
  • Morte’s Planar Parade: Follow Morte as he presents over 50 inhabitants of the Outer Plane, including incarnates, hierarch modrons, time dragons, and more with their stats and descriptions

2321b38bdbc2d8e550f36556ba5a79e9_1920_KR.png

Honestly, now that expectations are that it's just going to cover Sigil and the Outlands in depth and not be a new Manual of the Planes (which we basically have known since the book titles were released) and also know what the adventure levels are (3 -10 is actually pretty substantial), this is looking to be pretty good, especially compared to the definitely lacking Spelljammer set. I'm sure there will still be those who will make some fuss that it won't be a full Manual of the Planes, but as anyone who has played Planescape previously knows, Sigil and the Outlands are vital to the setting, while the remaining planes are far less necessary.

Lol one of the responses is "I hope we see a stat block for the Lady of Pain." That's certainly a minority view!
While I get the urge to want to quantify, to know, yeah, that completely misses the point of the Lady of Pain. She is supposed to be a cosmic mystery, unquantifiable, unfathomable. And I'm pretty sure Chris Perkins has reiterated that one of the design principles of Planescape has been and still is that the Lady of Pain doesn't have stats.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
"Over 50" monsters is a bit less than expected, given that Spelljammer was around 70 for the same page count. The hierarch modrons will be 9 or 10 of those (depending on whether we get a stat block for Primus), which is a significant percentage of the total. We've previously seen a demodand in one of the illustrations, so all three types are presumably in. The game seriously needs more celestials, and this would seem to be the perfect place to add some, but how many can be squeezed in before they take up too much space? Or will they not appear at all?
The Spelljammer box set description says "over 60" for the same page count. Probably a case of just a few more Monsters with two page statblocks.

The Spelljammer box set description says "over 60" for the same page count. Probably a case of just a few more Monsters with two page statblocks.
The more I think about it, the less I'm worried about needing room for celestials. Even if they add in the 6 or 7 archons and 5 guardinals along with 9 or 10 modrons and 3 demodands, that's still not quite half the 50+ monsters in the book, which still gives room for a good variety of other creatures. And even then, if the celestials are completely skipped, I'm still very happy to get the hierarch modrons and demodands. And there's always room for an appendix on D&D Beyond like there was for Spelljammer creatures that didn't make the cut.

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
A couple of further bits of speculation...

"Over 50" monsters is a bit less than expected, given that Spelljammer was around 70 for the same page count. The hierarch modrons will be 9 or 10 of those (depending on whether we get a stat block for Primus), which is a significant percentage of the total. We've previously seen a demodand in one of the illustrations, so all three types are presumably in. The game seriously needs more celestials, and this would seem to be the perfect place to add some, but how many can be squeezed in before they take up too much space? Or will they not appear at all?

Secondly, there are 12 Factions in the book, compared to the traditional 15. We've even had mention of another faction in KftGV. So, any speculation on what our new Faction line-up will be? Which ones made, and didn't make, the cut?

Keys from the Golden Vault specifically mentions the Fated (a classic faction) and the Fixers (a new faction).

The presence of the Tower Sorcerous on the Sigil poster map strongly suggests the Incantifers (an ancient, previously defunct faction) have made a return, as it was their headquarters and disappeared from the city when the entire faction hierarchy was Mazed by the Lady of Pain.
My hunch is they're playing the ball where Faction War dropped it. Here's the original 15 and what befell them, plus the new one we know about (The Fixers), and some conjecture...

1. Athar
2. Believers of the Source & Sign of One = combined to form The Mind's Eye
3. Bleak Cabal
Doomguard - were wiped out in the fighting, and only small numbers remain in remote citadels
4. Dustmen - nobody knows who Factol Skall is... could this lich be tied to Vecna?
5. Fated - seems to be confirmed in Keys from the Golden Vault
6. Fraternity of Order
Free League - may or may not be considered an official faction
7. Harmonium
Mercykillers - were wiped out in the fighting and fractured into smaller groups: Sodkillers & Sons of Mercy
8. Revolutionary League - may or may not be considered an official faction, since Faction War makes them sound pretty unsure of what they're doing in its wake; might be replaced with another new faction?
9. Society of Sensation
10. Transcendent Order - we saw a picture of "Guildmaster" Rhys & the faction symbol in TCoE
11. Xaositects
12. The Fixers - new from Keys from the Golden Vault

In Faction War, the Bleak Cabal, the Dustmen, the Free League, the Society of Sensation, the Transcendent Order, and the Xaositects all disbanded. HOWEVER, we saw art promo for Planescape 5e that depicted Society of Sensation symbol & NPC who resembles Bleak Cabal, and we saw Transcendent Order symbol in TCoE.

My hunch is they're playing the ball where Faction War dropped it. Here's the original 15 and what befell them, plus the new one we know about (The Fixers), and some conjecture...

1. Athar
3. Bleak Cabal
Doomguard - were wiped out in the fighting, and only small numbers remain in remote citadels
4. Dustmen - nobody knows who Factol Skall is... could this lich be tied to Vecna?
6. Fraternity of Order
7. Harmonium
Mercykillers - were wiped out in the fighting and fractured into smaller groups: Sodkillers & Sons of Mercy
8. Revolutionary League - may or may not be considered an official faction, since Faction War makes them sound pretty unsure of what they're doing in its wake; might be replaced with another new faction?
9. Society of Sensation
10. Transcendent Order - we saw a picture of "Guildmaster" Rhys & the faction symbol in TCoE
11. Xaositects

In Faction War, the Bleak Cabal, the Dustmen, the Free League, the Society of Sensation, the Transcendent Order, and the Xaositects all disbanded. HOWEVER, we saw art promo for Planescape 5e that depicted Society of Sensation symbol & NPC who resembles Bleak Cabal, and we saw Transcendent Order symbol in TCoE.
It may also be a situation where these twelve, whatever the list ends up being, are the Factions that came back to Sigil and/or formally (re)incorporated after the ban was lifted - others may still exist out on the planes and even be thriving, they're just not as active in the Cage anymore or are keeping a more informal organizational structure.

Last edited:

1. Athar
3. Bleak Cabal
6. Fraternity of Order
7. Harmonium
9. Society of Sensation
11. Xaositects

You could definitely do worse than that selection, though it'd be a pity to lose both the Doomguard and the Mercykillers, they're a lot more interesting than the Fraternity of Order.

Also I wonder what "ascendant factions" means, whether it's just a turn of phrase meant they're currently doing well, or if there's more to it. Presumably lesser factions will still exist just not have much in the way of detail.

EDIT - Christ now thanks to the DiTerlizzi covers I need to work out how to buy my first non-digital books of 5th edition (I have a PHB/DMG/MM but they're long-term borrowed) from an FLGS, I'll have to see if Leisure Games can preorder me some.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads