• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Planescape Planescape Pre-order Page Shows Off The Books!

Take a look at the books, poster map, and DM screen!

You can now pre-order Planescape: Adventures in the Multiverse from D&D Beyond. The set comes out on October 17th.

Scroll down through the comments to see more various peeks at the books!

• Discover 2 new backgrounds, the Gate Warden & the Planar Philosopher, to build planar characters in the D&D Beyond character builder
  • Channel 7 otherworldly feats, new intriguing magic spells & more powered by planar energies
  • Explore 12 new ascendant factions, each with distinct cosmic ideologies
  • Face over 50 unusual creatures including planar incarnates, hierarch modrons, and time dragons in the Encounter Builder
  • Journey across the Outlands in an adventure for characters levels 3-10 and 17
  • Adds adventure hooks, encounter tables, maps of Sigil and the Outlands & more to your game
This 3 books set comprises:
  • Sigil and the Outlands: a setting book full of planar character options with details on the fantastic City of Doors, descriptions of the Outlands, the gate-towns that lead to the Outer planes, and more
  • Turn of the Fortunes Wheel: an adventure set in Sigil and the Outlands designed for character levels 3-10 with a jump to level 17
  • Morte’s Planar Parade: Follow Morte as he presents over 50 inhabitants of the Outer Plane, including incarnates, hierarch modrons, time dragons, and more with their stats and descriptions

2321b38bdbc2d8e550f36556ba5a79e9_1920_KR.png

BB Shockwave

Explorer
It's another plane that, by default, is pretty hard to use for gaming purposes without either the DM creating some special exceptions for an adventuring site or the PCs being prepared for a special mission there.
Not really. Planescape's Planes of Chaos books gives a very easy to use system where a character can concentrate on say, creating solid ground for the party to walk on. The area/distance depends on wisdom score, and you can do it while fighting, it is similar to concentrating on a spell. So the rest of the party can just focus on other stuff. Also, this gives you great freedom as you can create anything really as long as you have a high wisdom score - even animals (though you needed 19+ for that).
Githzerai have specialized people with iron discipline who can even maintain whole cities with their minds, even while sleeping.

That's why I said "by default."

When you have to buy a second product to make a setting usable, it's not usable by default.

The outer planes were originally created as a way to match up with the nine-point alignment grid first, and as a gamable setting second.

I think Ysgard, Aborea, Tartarus, Archron are usable by default.

Aborea is a mix of Greek Mythology mixed Faerie Land flavour, but with way, way more Celestials and some odds and ends like the City of Bright water added. I have a feeling the Celtic Gods moved here. Straight up Mythic Epic adventures.

Ysgard has giants and extreme environments, most of its based on Norse Mythology, but with more Celestials, and some other odds and ends. You rise from the dead when you die in battle hear, so that could offer an interesting twist on dungeons.

Archron is the evil version of Ysgard, but with more Orc and Goblin influences.

Tartarus, mix of Greek Myth and magic Prison Plane lore, occursionally the Blood War leaks over into it. Basic campaign theme, escape and survive. Maybe something or someone important has to be liberated at the same time.

The lawful planes I think take more work, although that work has been done for Hell. A couple of Chaotic planes aren't great their like Limbo, Pandomodium, Abyss is a mixed bag, depends on the Layer.

Thinking about the maps of the Outlands and Sigil, and how clearly Forgotten Realms linked it is (Outlands at least) maybe it could be the solution to at least some of BG3 issue with high level play. Maybe for through a dungeon in BG to get to a portal to the Outlands or Sigil. BG3 already uses alot of portals to get around.

Thoughts?

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Is there an easy to find list of the monsters in this thing? That's the only part of it I have any interest in getting (i did the same for Spelljammer).

Is there an easy to find list of the monsters in this thing? That's the only part of it I have any interest in getting (i did the same for Spelljammer).
Not at the moment, other than a few bits that have been previewed, either in art (dabus and briaurs are featured) or, in the demodands' case, showing a couple of pages from the bestiary. The product description mentioned that hierarch modrons would appear as well. It's over two months from release, so we'll get more info over time.

Not yet, but before release certainly.

So far we know about the Demodand, Guardinals, Barbiars, Dabus, Time Dragons, Modron Hierachs, Planar Incarnations, and a few more monsters.
We don't quite know about guardinals yet. Yes, the humanoid mouse could be a mustaval guardinal, but that's just supposition right now - it might be something else entirely...

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
We don't quite know about guardinals yet. Yes, the humanoid mouse could be a mustaval guardinal, but that's just supposition right now - it might be something else entirely...
Thanks all. I'll decide once I've determined if their versions are better than the 3pp ones I already have.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads