Planescape Planescape to languish in purgatory?

Aldarc

Legend
If the "three classic settings will be attended to" holds to be true, as far as legacy settings, I think they fall into the following groups:

Top contenders: Dark Sun, Planescape, Greyhawk, Ravenloft, Spelljammer
Unlikely, But Maybe...: Mystara, Council of Wyrms, Dragonlance*, Al-Qadim, Birthright, Nentir Vale
A Snowball's Chance: Jakandor, Hollow World, Blackmoor, Kara-Tur*, Maztica*, Ghostwalk
I would put Nentir Vale in the "A Snowball's Chance" category since it wasn't even listed as a setting in WotC's recent survey. It also shares its Dawn War pantheon with Exandria, and I suspect there would be some ignorant fans who would accuse the Nentir Vale of ripping off Exandria's lore.

Consider me daunted. I've really only purchased a small handful of things from DMs Guild. I know that I'm missing out on a lot. Heck, in theory I think it's an awesome concept. There's just so much out there, when I start to look at it I'm reminded of the worst glut days of 3e.

It can be daunting to separate the wheat from the chaff on DMsGuild because there is just so much stuff, but there are products on there that compare very favorably to official content.

Rules Material from Planescape that could be updated as they aren't in the core rules would be for:
-Various monsters like Bladelings, Guardinals, Archons, Eladrin, Rilmani, Demons and Devils not already covered in other books and many more.
-PC races, new (Bariaur and Rogue Modron) and reprinted (Aasimar, Genasi, Githzerai, Githyanki). It's also been mentioned by Mearls that Planetouched Tieflings are different from PHB Tieflings but nothing substantial was ever presented.
-Mechanics for factions which I assume it would be similar to Ravnica's Guilds, and they dump the 2e bad ideas of roleplaying drawbacks for mechanical advantages and abilities.
-Environment/hazard rules of various planes (and I think they should dump most of the changes to magic rules on different planes such as losing effective spellcasting levels or +'s to magic weapons)
-Mechanics on portals

I'm in favour of a timeline advance where Faction War happened, but now many of the factions are back. Most of the unique cosmologies of various other campaign settings can be downplayed or handwaved away in that the Great Wheel is the peer-reviewed consensus among most planewalkers based in Sigil that mostly maps out everything but leaves a few holes.

Of changes I'd be ambivalent about but they'd probably do, I'd guess they'd try to de-emphasize real-world/historical pantheons in the setting, as Planescape was strangely enough the only campaign setting where the Greek (and Norse and Indian and Celtic and Babylonian and so on) Gods were a major thing, as basically every campaign setting has their own pantheons, but the real-world pantheons were always shown as being placeholder examples for homebrew settings.

They'd probably also de-emphasize the use of the Cant in the setting. As amusing as it is that the word "Berk" gets used a lot which is Cockney Rhyming Slang derived from "Berkshire Hunt" which rhymes with "naughty word", I feel that all of the Cant will be downplayed. There's also the differences in the word "Nick" which in PS means to cut or attack vs the modern English usage of "Nick" which means to steal or cheat.

Dioltach

Legend
Okay, but WotC is not designing for you specifically.
Are you sure? I mean, that's @Morrus you're talking to ...

Anyway, I think one factor with these "I wish WotC would republish old settings" arguments is a desire for affirmation. "It's my favourite setting, and I want others to agree that it's amazing."

Otherwise ... you have the lore, you know the rules - update the setting for yourself to suit your own wishes.

TheSword

Legend
With Modrons in the Monster Manual, A lot of planar information in the DMG, The Bloodwar detailed in Mordenkainen’s Tome and products like Descent into Avernus expanding the fiendish, I wouldn’t hold my breath on a Planescape setting, not even a Manual of the Planes.

We may get Sigil released as part of a compilation book, or another adventure released set in the planes but I think it’s gonna get drip-fed through other products.

So much of what was Planescape has been baked into the core rules pretty deep that I just can’t see them splitting things out.

Remove ads