Planescape Planescape to languish in purgatory?

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Yeah, I had a hard time understanding this too.
I'm not @dave2008 , but At least in my case, it was a lot of work to slowly introduce that humanoids in general have bandits/raiders/war criminals/etc. Meanwhile my group of mostly newbies (one veteran player) had slowly been acclimated to the orc civilization they met being kind of naturalist gentle folks living ear the border between droaam & shadowmarches. In short, these folks which was pretty much the opposite of
all of the highlighted stuff is written entirely for FR with almost no consideration for settings where it doesn't apply & I called out in rage one of the pants on head bad assumptions wotc makes over & over again in 5e on the page itself
1606319148725.png
Well it tells me my gm will work with me not that I should initiate vice versa & that I should look at chapter 1 for details on my chosen race's culture...
1606319967095.png

who the bleep is gruumsh?! he sounds bad & orcs worse! do we need to go back to that poor little border village of orcs & cyran refugees we saved from war criminals?
1606319327186.png

1606319345419.png

1606319363354.png

1606319379894.png

1606319405409.png

1606319415047.png
"Holy crap".. and I thought those karrnathi war criminals experimenting on refugees that we took down were bad...

1606318637385.png

Not only are they bad, they are stupid, menacing, looking for a fight
VGTM gave the veteran guy who kept being quick to educate newbies on orcs/goblins/any other monstrous race they asked about something in the blackest shade of absolute morality black & white that he could point at & the race itself doesn't even fit. Orcs were already fairly settled for me when vgtm came out, but other monstrous races (gnoll especially cmes to mind) had a much higher bar for me to overcome when introducing them

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Snarf Zagyg: "Pretty soon, we will see a Monopoly Setting."

It's clearly a dog. You could fit all the adventure potential in a thimble. Prove me wrong and I'll eat my hat!
Maybe we'd better pack the rulebook in the Car and drive it away ...

dave2008

Legend
Because I can easily ignore the Orc stat blocks in the Monster Manual, but having an official race is something that actually effects my table, forcing me to either homebrew non-evil, non-stupid orcs.
Really? Are you worried about using the PC rules or what it means for the wider world? I am confused about your issue. If you were fine with accepting non-evil, non-stupid orcs in deference to the MM, its seems less than trivial to accept them for PCs. I feel I must be missing something

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Really? Are you worried about using the PC rules or what it means for the wider world? I am confused about your issue. If you were fine with accepting non-evil, non-stupid orcs in deference to the MM, its seems less than trivial to accept them for PCs. I feel I must be missing something
I think you're misunderstanding me, or I am misunderstanding you.

I don't like orcs always having to be evil and stupid, as that depends on setting. Thus, I didn't like the original Volo's Orc Race, and prefer the Eberron/Exandria one. I like that they errata'd the book to get rid of that original race. It is easier for me to just ignore the orc monster stat blocks in the MM than it is for me to homebrew an Orc race (before Eberron/Exandria Orcs came out, that is).

Remove ads