• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Playable races: few or plenty, common or variable, native or outsiders?

beancounter

(I/Me/Mine)
Fewer. I have never had a player who asked to play anything more than the "standard" races.

It seems a lot of those new races are just a crutch for new players or optimizers (e.g. the ability to fly and a high natural AC)

Mallus

Legend
It seems a lot of those new races are just a crutch for new players or optimizers (e.g. the ability to fly and a high natural AC)
Or it gives people the chance to play a turtle-man with a law degree and anger management issues.

Note: actual PC in my upcoming 5e campaign (tortle barbarian, background sage - law).

There's more to D&D than just pretending to be an elf, you know. Not every preference is a 'crutch'.

Voadam

Legend
Or it gives people the chance to play a turtle-man with a law degree and anger management issues.

Note: actual PC in my upcoming 5e campaign (tortle barbarian, background sage - law).
I call the tortle hexblade in my current campaign the reverse ninja. Old and cranky as opposed to teenage and wisecracking, slow, and no stealth whatsoever.

In the last game he discovered that in 5e when someone else casts invisibility upon you so you can spy out the BBEG's lair while the disguised bard is doing a performance, casting your own utility spell in the audience chamber during the performance breaks the invisibility. And the kobold had rocked both his insight to guess what type of music the BBEG liked, then his perform check for his three song Yacht Rock set list.

Mallus

Legend
I call the tortle hexblade in my current campaign the reverse ninja. Old and cranky as opposed to teenage and wisecracking, slow, and no stealth whatsoever.

In the last game he discovered that in 5e when someone else casts invisibility upon you so you can spy out the BBEG's lair while the disguised bard is doing a performance, casting your own utility spell in the audience chamber during the performance breaks the invisibility. And the kobold had rocked both his insight to guess what type of music the BBEG liked, then his perform check for his three song Yacht Rock set list.
This sounds like a scene from one of our games. Down to the bardic Yacht Rock, even.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
1) Few or plenty?
Do you prefer having a small bunch of races available to PCs, such as the PHB set or a cherry-picked group of favourites? Or do you think a large array available is better? Or do you even think the sky's the limit and would like to have as many as you can find for the edition you're currently playing?

2) Common or variable?
Do you prefer a more monolithic approach on racial mechanics i.e. all PCs of the same race X or subrace Y must use the same stats, or do you like having mechanical variants for each race and/or subrace (without narrating them as a different group)?

3) Native or outsiders?
Do you want playable races strictly from the fantasy setting you're adventuring in, or do you consent to PCs of a race that normally doesn't belong to it? This is a more nuanced question... you can make a distinction between the case of a race that belongs to the setting but not the world (like are you ok with PC races from the elemental or the outer planes) and the case of a race that belongs to a different setting entirely (like a Forgotten Realms race in Dark Sun) or even a different genre altogether (like a Star Wars or DCU race).

Bonus question (kind of a combination of questions 2 and 3): how do you feel about using different versions of a race from different settings? Examples could be allowing Zendikar elves or Ravnica goblins (assuming you already have native elves or goblins), would you be ok with allowing the mechanical variant (i.e. different stats and abilities) from another setting? If you would allow the mechanic, would you disallow, allow or even require the narrative that the race comes from another world?
writing this from the perspective of a [theoretical] player

1) I don't mind lots of races to pick from but i don't want them all happening at once, and i don't like having redundant races in a general sense, pick the ones you're going to have in a setting and stick to that, don't start going all kitchen sink on things,
Personally i'd sort races into three groups:
Common: humans, elves, dwarves, halflings, orcs, those who are standardly present in all settings unless specifically noted otherwise, around 60-80% of the general population, may be treated as Uncommon where Exclusive races are the Common ones. Found in every setting
Uncommon: dragonborn, tieflings, gnomes and suchlike, present in most settings but to not to the degree of the common races, could be treated as a common race in an apropriately themed setting, 37-17% of the general population. found in any but not every setting
Exclusive: I don't really know what the non-standard races are myself but, These are races that are treated as exclusively odd to see in a setting outside of the ones they're not 'native' to but considered as a Common race inside those settings, if one appears in a setting they are not native to they should be treated as a foreigner to that land, 3% of the general population.

2) I lean hard to the side of common myself, fixed ASI and abilities, yes have subclasses that provide more granular choices within a race is fine, but fixed choices, just because you wanted to become a bard your inherent dwarven hardiness can't be 'trained' into a CHA bonus, that's what the high number from your rolled scores/point buy/standard array is for.

3) I essentially answer this in 1 already didn't I, I guess, i'd allow them but with the caveat that their race is specifically noted as strangers to the setting, sure maybe they might have been born and raised in the setting but the fact that they're there is treated as an anomaly in a general sense.

Bonus) So long as you can justify it narratively it's fine IMO, developed in some highly specific environment, exposed to some magic that changed them, travellers from another dimension, whatever, great, just give them a reason to be there, but if they're functionally an entirely different race in all but name [like comparing DnD elves with say, Santa's elves] reskin them or just rename them i'd say.

Last edited:

nevin

Hero
Honestly depends on the game. I don't mind a large amount of options as long as every party member isn't playing a party of Oxymorons that no amount of justification could ever make right. (for that I'd play paranoia anyway).

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
Lots of talking about playable character races in the last year or two... what are your preferences regarding the following approaches? (You can specify whether you are answering from a player's or DM's point of view)

1) Few or plenty?

Do you prefer having a small bunch of races available to PCs, such as the PHB set or a cherry-picked group of favourites? Or do you think a large array available is better? Or do you even think the sky's the limit and would like to have as many as you can find for the edition you're currently playing?

2) Common or variable?

Do you prefer a more monolithic approach on racial mechanics i.e. all PCs of the same race X or subrace Y must use the same stats, or do you like having mechanical variants for each race and/or subrace (without narrating them as a different group)?

3) Native or outsiders?

Do you want playable races strictly from the fantasy setting you're adventuring in, or do you consent to PCs of a race that normally doesn't belong to it? This is a more nuanced question... you can make a distinction between the case of a race that belongs to the setting but not the world (like are you ok with PC races from the elemental or the outer planes) and the case of a race that belongs to a different setting entirely (like a Forgotten Realms race in Dark Sun) or even a different genre altogether (like a Star Wars or DCU race).

Bonus question (kind of a combination of questions 2 and 3): how do you feel about using different versions of a race from different settings? Examples could be allowing Zendikar elves or Ravnica goblins (assuming you already have native elves or goblins), would you be ok with allowing the mechanical variant (i.e. different stats and abilities) from another setting? If you would allow the mechanic, would you disallow, allow or even require the narrative that the race comes from another world?
Plenty, Variable, Native

Mos Eisley Cantina setting (every official lineage plus a few of my own has a place in my world and they might all interact at a bar in a particularly cosmopolitan city, but otherwise will be limited in rarity based on a part of the world the game is set in); will work with players to tweak their backgrounds (and multiple lineages might reflect the same people, like Half-orc and Orc might be of a continuity, rather than a strict boundary between them); if we're playing in my world, we're playing with my world, not with Zendikar or Eberron versions of the lineages.

Last edited:

I had a human druid PC reskinned into a White Wolf Werewolf the Apocalypse werewolf who was a werewolf wolf who turns into a human.
This is a thing! I've seen several Werewolf: the Apocalypse and Werewolf: the Forsaken players be druids who use their wildshape to become reskinned werewolves (Usually Dire Wolf to start, but reskinning other things as levels increase). Also Skyrim players, but we don't talk about them.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
1. Down the middle. A typical game/group would be given about 10 "standard" options...then there are...well, about 10 more for those that want things a little different.

2. There are the group that are considered 'common" and gradations out to "very rare"...and I'll probably consider a "unique" if the player has a compelling hook.

3. Natives only.
3a. See 3.

My homebrew setting list goes something like this*:
*This chart relays species availability to players for PCs. Goblinoids, for example, exist in a wide array of environs, throughout the world. But to make a PC that is a goblin would be a special case/unique individual who has completely broken with their typical culture.
CommonUncommon
(but not unusual)
Rare &/or Unusual (will attract notice)Very RareUnique or
Special Case
Humans of 4 major nations or culturesHumans of 2, more insular, culturesHuman of 1 region
("Barbarians")
Human of 1 closed nation"Human" clan of shapeshifters
Elf (high)Halfling (hairfoot)Halfling (tallfellow)Elf (wild/wood)Elf ("grey")
Dwarf (hill)SatyrGnome (Rock/ForestDwarf (mountainDwarf (ice)
Half-ElfCentaurSpriteDwarf (fire)
Half-OrcLizardmanHomebrew Bearfolk
Homebrew FelinoidGoblinoids
Homebrew Winged
Humanoid
All Other Singular Individual Creatures

Last edited:

aco175

Legend
I wonder if I can be talked into floating +2/+1 stat bonus if all the players want to play the same race. If the group wanted all dwarves or halflings, I am not sure. Maybe since they did not choose the elf for the mage or something to make me go with the ASI floating.

Remove ads