D&D 5E Played our first D&D Next Session - Questions and Impression

IronWolf

blank
My guess is that we'll see OAs as a 'dial setting' within the core rules, & that this playtest is just using the simplest setting.

I hope this to be the case. I do suspect it is easier to release without that rule and just see what happens. We all know what happens with AoO's in the game. Let's test it without and see what folks say.

I've played without before and am not a fan of not having AoO's, but this is a good way to get the concept widespread exposure.

phloog

First Post
I would guess Spiritual Hammer is in addition to normal actions - I believe this for no other reason than it matches the OLD way this spell worked...and as others noted, it's not much of a spell if you have to use your actions to 'drive'

The Team has said they purposefully inflated the PC's and some monsters HP to err on the side of caution and initial playability whilst they formalize the math. I would not expect 1st level characters at release to have this many HP.
Sorry where did you get that info, or is that just supposition/guess?

Our wizard never used this spell, and just spammed shocking grasp all the time. Since the hobgoblins had metal on their armor, the DM gave the wizard combat advantage every time (per the spell description). Since movement was free without OAs, he would just run up, shock a monster, and run back behind cover or an ally.
Remember the Hobbos etc can do that back, if a wizard jumped out and zapped me or a buddy I would most certainly have my enraged humanoids chase him behind the fighter (with impunity) and attack him there!

Last edited:

jsaving

Adventurer
Thera are no OAs in the current playtest rules yet. They might appear later. IIRC it was mentioned on a semester or an interview, that it's possible you're going to need a feat to for that.
The 5e team members don't seem to care for mechanics like AoOs that give people additional actions beyond what they'd normally receive during their turn. I seem to recall one of them saying that if AoOs do make their way back into the game, you'd probably have to sacrifice part of your next turn in order to execute it, essentially "shifting" part of your next action forward. Interrupt actions are apparently also going to be scarcer than they once were, for similar reasons.

Mercutio01

First Post

in 3rd edition, a crit from an orc usually fell a firstlevel fighter.

1d12+3 on a crit is 3d12+9 against a figter with 10-14 hp. 12 on average. That is most surely unconscious in one blow. And not unusual full hp to death in one blow.

Remove ads