• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Player Distractions.

Gardukk

First Post
The group I DM for has one player who is always on his phone, but is quick to act in combat and pays attention to and participates in roleplaying scenes. I also have another player who doesn't even have a phone and still manages to zone out all the time and needs scenes re-capped for him. I don't think electronics really plays as big of a role in uninterested behavior as people think.

To answer the question, I don't have a problem with phones and whatnot at the gaming table as long as you're paying attention to the game and not bringing initiative to a halt.

Tortoise

First Post
Back in 2007 while running my Ptolus campaign people always had their phones at hand and once in a while a call might come in. We sometimes used texting for simulation of a special magic item one character had (see Piratecat's adventure - Of Sound Mind) that let him hear a bit of conversation following someone speaking his name. We used it heavily when he was stuck at work one day instead of being able to join the session to hilarious effect.

One session managed to get the rules about cell phones changed. Everyone at the table got several phone calls each during the session and that forced us to go to the no phones rule. As players came in their phones went to silent and into a box until the game was done.

TV's and radios in the past have had to be turned off at various people's games. Books can occasionally get someone's attention, but usually that is brief and doesn't hold things up.

The only other thing that comes immediately to mind is one guy's teenage daughter who always wants to play with the group and then plays with her phone or puts her head down on the table until her turn to do something comes around again. This was the case in three different groups she was in. When she left the room for a couple minutes on one occasion, I convinced everyone to just get quiet and stair at her until she looked up to find out why it was quiet. It was funny, but didn't do anything to discourage the behaviour sadly.

Fortunately my current group has none of these issues.

DragonLancer

Adventurer
So for people who say they only distract themselves when it is not their turn, why?

Why do you not enjoy watching what other players are doing when it is not your turn?

For me it is not a case of not enjoying it. It's a case of my character isn't involved. The other character is somewhere I am not so I can't weigh in nor do I know what is happening. I don't want to know. I want that character to tell me when we get back together IC. It's also not an attention span thing, it's a case of I need to be doing something and if that means stacking dice or checking Facebook, emails or texts at such a time then I see it as fair play providing I am there when me character is.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
I do not have hand held devices myself, and we do not allow phones at the game table. At all. You are here to play, you leave your mobile with your shoes outside the room and put it on silent. All that belongs at the gaming table are your gaming utensils (which does include tablets/laptops in some cases). Exception the doctors and the EMT.

Another exception is when someone is missing and can only call in to participate. But then the phone is on speaker and everyone can hear.

Would it be rude to do unrelated things at the table which stop you from paying attention? Yes, very much so.

People doodle and fidget (or rather stim) all the time though. That's fine. We used to have a grandma playing who knitted whole baby outfits during the games, never a problem either.

At our table there's an unwritten agreement: Everybody participates. No wandering off, no texting, no internet, no distractions. Granted, conversations frequently wind up wandering onto lots of silly tangents, but I think that's pretty normal for most gaming groups.

Especially in combat, it's important to Pay Attention. It's just polite, and we're all friends at our gaming table.

CherubKid

Explorer
I'm a rabid multi-tasker, and I *need* to keep my hands busy - usually sketching but often reviewing my spells and abilities. The DM always has my full attention, but I can-not-be-still. Can't do it. But I'm usually the most active & engaged PC.

As a DM, I've had Dreamers, who need to be snapped to attention and "recapped" frequently. This requires patience, but it's not an intentional slight.

There are (web) Surfers (and before that Readers) who zone out indiscriminately, but others who hang on my every word as they fill in the empty seconds with keystrokes. And there are Multi-Taskers, like me, who need to paint minis or flip through Google Images while they play and fight.

And then there are Non-Stop Talkers, who take every opportunity to run their mouth, whether or not the DM is mid-sentence. Two of these in one game can be a killer. (If there's only one, they are usually shouted down!)

Ultimately, it's not the additional activities that disrupt a game... it's the level of attention given during those activities that shows either respect or disrespect to the DM and other Players.

Nytmare

David Jose
Back when I was a player, I don't think my mind ever really wandered outside the game. If I was reading something and not paying attention to the action it was always a game book, and I was either checking a rule, or someone was off on a solo run.

I can only ever remember playing with two people (since like 1980) who really had a habit of kicking back and not paying attention to what was going on (one read the newspaper, the other played Pokemon on her Gameboy). Both of them would openly admit that they were only interested in rolling dice, and anything other than being able to see how much damage they dealt bored them to tears.

As a DM/GM/whatever, I've never really had to deal with it. I prefer to run smaller games (usually 4 people tops) and I think that my DMing style focuses on fighting to keep everyone entertained. I don't know if it's how I run though or the people I play with. My normal corral of players tends to really want to play (when they get around to showing up) and aside from the occasional smoke break or real life interruption (wife/work), everyone's focus is on the game.

Wild Gazebo

Explorer
This is a question to the players.

When you are reading, texting, playing video games on your handheld device, stacking dice, doodling, or doing anything else other than paying attention to the game, does that mean you are bored? Or are you just fidgeting and still paying attention?

One must stack dice to keep them warm and supple for the God of Dice...we must not anger the God of Dice.

One must doodle to keep one's imagination sharp and hand keenly away from the cheezies.

One must stay current on rules and options by reading.

One must not ignore one's wife's texts...for all would end poorly.

Video games? One thinks your friend is a jerk.

S'mon

Legend
For me it is not a case of not enjoying it. It's a case of my character isn't involved. The other character is somewhere I am not so I can't weigh in nor do I know what is happening. I don't want to know. I want that character to tell me when we get back together IC.

I know why you do this but it can be really annoying for the other players who have to waste time recapping everything for you, rather than getting on and doing other stuff. I regard it as a selfish style of play and I'd advise you to think of others and try to break your habit.

Li Shenron

Legend
I am both a player and DM.

This is a question to the players.

When you are reading, texting, playing video games on your handheld device, stacking dice, doodling, or doing anything else other than paying attention to the game, does that mean you are bored? Or are you just fidgeting and still paying attention?

Uhm... I don't think I've ever done those, except perhaps unconsciously stacking dice or similar. I am rarely bored during a D&D session, and if I'm idle for long (e.g. someone else discussing) I usually start reviewing my character sheet and description for what to do next...

A question for DMs; do you feel it is rude if a player is doing these things? Would you ask him/her to stop?

Well... playing other games yes, I would definitely find it rude. Also browsing the internet or reading the newspaper. Checking the web once or twice on the mobile for things like the bus schedule doesn't bother me, and of course reading D&D material to use it in the game tonight is totally fine, but better do it when it's not your turn!

Texting depends on how much... they may have a conversation with wife/husband/SO and I wouldn't object that. I suppose there's a limit on how often they write, but again if they do it only when it's not their turn I don't think it disrupts the game.

Fiddling with dice or drawing on your character sheet is usually just a nervous reflex, and some people do it even while they are attentively talking.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads