Level Up (A5E) Player Durability?

Filthy Lucre

Adventurer
Howdy All,

I recently re-discovered LU5e and it's really grabbed my interest. I was wondering, since there's a lot of info to comb through, if anyone could just comment on how durable PCs are expected to be? One of my biggest gripes with 5e (and the reason I play PF2e) is that PCs seem super, super, SUPER durable - to the point where player's just don't ever feel threatened.

How are threat levels shaping up in LU5e?

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Howdy All,

I recently re-discovered LU5e and it's really grabbed my interest. I was wondering, since there's a lot of info to comb through, if anyone could just comment on how durable PCs are expected to be? One of my biggest gripes with 5e (and the reason I play PF2e) is that PCs seem super, super, SUPER durable - to the point where player's just don't ever feel threatened.

I think there are probably too many unknowns at this point to draw a reasonable guess. Once monster previews get to W (wraith) we might have some clues on some

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Howdy All,

I think it's intended to be balanced similarly to O5E, but it will probably be much, much easier to slide the threat toggle up. From what I've seen, the encounter-building guidelines are much easier to understand and the CRs are more strictly defined. You should be able to monkey with the threat level to suit your taste. (Also, I have a feeling that things will "feel" more threatening, even if they are not, what with Fatigue and Strife being involved as a result of combat before you get to Death.) One of the "problems" with feeling threatened in O5E is that you're either dead, or you're FINE (for the most part).

Filthy Lucre

Adventurer
I think it's intended to be balanced similarly to O5E, but it will probably be much, much easier to slide the threat toggle up. From what I've seen, the encounter-building guidelines are much easier to understand and the CRs are more strictly defined. You should be able to monkey with the threat level to suit your taste. (Also, I have a feeling that things will "feel" more threatening, even if they are not, what with Fatigue and Strife being involved as a result of combat before you get to Death.) One of the "problems" with feeling threatened in O5E is that you're either dead, or you're FINE (for the most part).
Well, I'll keep a close eye on the kickstarter. Pretty disappointed that opportunity attacks are still hella, hella nerfed but... we'll stay open minded.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Well, I'll keep a close eye on the kickstarter. Pretty disappointed that opportunity attacks are still hella, hella nerfed but... we'll stay open minded.
Too many maneuvers mention AoOs to think there aren't some changes or hooks for optional changes in that regard. It cold be optimism but it's just too prevalent to think the o5e near removal of them will remain

Howdy All,

PCs should have the same level of durability. I will say that my DM doesn’t have any issue with smacking us around, so I am not sure what issue your having with PCs being too durable. I feel like we fall pretty easy!

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Too many maneuvers mention AoOs to think there aren't some changes or hooks for optional changes in that regard. It cold be optimism but it's just too prevalent to think the o5e near removal of them will remain

Yeah, I think they might be nerfed (when compared to 3e or even 4e) for most characters, but it looks like in Level Up they might be back in full swing for classes with combat maneuvers.

They also added back the bloodied state, in 4e that was PCs started to feel a bit worried

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases