D&D 5E player knowlege vs character knowlege (spoiler)

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
I would never do this as DM. In this instance the DM set the stage for "metagaming" to occur and some DMs would then demand the players don't "metagame" in the face of that. Changing things to thwart the very "metagaming" the DM encouraged is not the way to go in my view. The problem - if it can even be called a problem - is easier solved upstream by reminding the players that assumptions can be wrong and that the smart play is to verify one's assumptions before acting on them.

The DM did not necessarily "set the stage" for metagaming in this instance. The character in question is obscure enough that the DM could easily have been totally unaware that she was a pre-existing character not original to the adventure, and have no way of knowing that a player would know who she is. The DESIGNER set the stage for metagaming, which is why I question the designer using this character in this way.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
The DM didn't adjudicate any action by the player or character. The player just blurted out that the NPC is a lich to all other players.

What you're quoting of mine is a response to practicalm's concerns about metagaming as it relates to rolls made to resolve searching tasks. It does not apply to the issue in the original post.

Yes, players do get to decide what their characters think, but there is an expectation of separation between character and player knowledge about some things. If players are constantly using what they know about the game to make choices for their character when they character would have no reasonable source for that knowledge, I'm going to stop playing with them.

That's your choice, but there's nothing really in the rules that mandates the player must have his or her character think a certain way or base their actions on anything other than what the player decides. The only possible exception is that the DM is advised to remind players that bad assumptions can lead to negative game experiences, so they should do what they can to avoid that.

It's clear you have a preference that exists at the level of social contract or table rules. And I would admonish DMs to consider that things they are doing are incentivizing the very "metagaming" they hope to avoid, either at the level of content presentation or adjudication.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
Given the above, in my game it would look more like "I try to recall the significance of that name, drawing upon [some past experience and/or training] to see if this is someone we can trust." If the outcome of that task is uncertain and there's a meaningful consequence for failure, then I will ask for a check. If I did ask for a check, the failure condition might be something like "she is an evil lich of some renown... and the expression on her face suggests she knows you know it."

As a player I would be very annoyed by that ruling. It presumes that my character has no poker face, which is wholly unrelated to their knowledge.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
The DM did not necessarily "set the stage" for metagaming in this instance. The character in question is obscure enough that the DM could easily have been totally unaware that she was a pre-existing character not original to the adventure, and have no way of knowing that a player would know who she is. The DESIGNER set the stage for metagaming, which is why I question the designer using this character in this way.

The DM set the stage for this outcome knowingly or unknowingly. It doesn't matter. It happened. Perhaps the designer understands what the DMG says which is to remind players that bad assumptions can lead to bad game outcomes, so savvy players are going to take in-game action to verify their assumptions before acting upon them.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
As a player I would be very annoyed by that ruling. It presumes that my character has no poker face, which is wholly unrelated to their knowledge.

That could be one presumption. Another presumption is that the NPC is just very good at noticing when people recognize her. The latter says something about the NPC and not the character.

Bawylie

A very OK person
Friends, if you’re thinking of using an established villain in your games, maybe don’t use their villain name when they’re talking to your party.

“Who me? I’m Questgiver the Betrayer. No, no, it’s just a name!”

And if someone takes the surprise out of your surprise party, you still have a party. You’re just gonna enjoy it in a different context.

Note tomb of annihilation spoiler below.................

So I am a 5th level player in Tomb of Annihilation. We were traveling through the Aldani basin and came across the heart of Ubtao. We have Artus Cimber in the party and he dimension doors up into the heart and drops a rope for the rest of us. I climb first and as I am halfway up I see him talking to an elf, Artis seemed to be having a gay old time talking to her. Ok, I get to the top and join the conversation. She introduces herself as Valindra Shadowmantle ,...... :eek: .... danger Will Robinson danger .....

I think the DM intended her to be treated as just an elf that wanted to join our search for the soulmonger. Of course I (the player) have read Salvatore and other FR lore and I know Shadowmantle was head of part of the Hostower in Luskan, ally to a lich Gleek or Greek or something like that, eventually joined Sazz Tam and became a lich herself. Not sure about the order of all that but I (the player) am pretty sure that is what happened. I of course announced that at the table (she is a lich!) .... so the less FR-savy players know it now as well. The question is what do we do with that? It really suprised the DM that I knew that name and I think I ruined a little part of the module. I would argue that my character, a fighter-ranger with a 13 wisdom, 18 intelligence, proficient in history and arcana would have probably, maybe heard that name as well?

The DM intended her to be treated as a simple elf that joined the party and I guess there is a story later (no spoilers please), but now the whole party .... and it is an entirely good and leaning lawful party .... knows this companion is a lich. We can't live with that but we are honestly probably no match for her unless she is some nerfed version of a lich. We are working on a strategy to surprise attack her involving acid, grappling, silence .... although even with all that and these awesome spells Artis can cast I still don't like our odds. Worse still I am terrified she is going to ESP us or something and figure out the party is plotting to kill her. She is a lich after all and we have no protections against scrying.

So two questions:

1. Do you think I did anything wrong and how am I supposed to play this? I can't like forget that she is an evil lich.

2. What do you think of our strategy to eliminate her? The party is me (fighter2/ranger3), Cleric 4, wizard 5, rogue3/warlock2, two tabaxi hunters, Artis Cimber and a shield guardian (bonded to the cleric). We have a jug of alchemy so we are going to spend the next week or so making acid, since none of us other than Artis have a magic weapon. The cleric could use magic weapon spell, but we need her concentration for silence. So here is the plan so far:
Attack her when she is not expecting it. Hex with disadvantage on dex checks, have the shield guardian cast spiritual weapon (guessing this will be counterspelled) and grapple her with his action. The cleric lays down silence (from over 60feet away). Haste Artis and have him go in and stab her then disengage every round to keep from getting hit by her legendary actions (he might have some awesome spell he can use too???). Have the cleric pound her with guiding bolt while maintaining silence, have the wizard pound her with magic missile and fireball (evoker with sculp to not damage shield guardian), both from outside counterspell range and moving to cantrips when they run dry. Have everyone else throw acid at her. If she breaks the grapple and moves out of the silence shove her back into it and regrapple.

The silence should mean she has virtually no useful spells, but she is still a force due to legendary actions and a pretty good attack. I figure the shield guardian can last about 7 or 8 rounds if she attacks it, more if she trys to break the grapple. After she kills the shield guardian (which seems inevitable), I can have the fighter or rogue grapple her in the silence. They won't last very long though. Probably 3 rounds if they are unscathed until that point.

What are my odds and do you have a better idea?

Since you know already, as a DM, I'd just say, "Yeah, you've heard that name before. You're not sure if she's the same person or if she just has the same name."

Easy as that.

Then you have lots of in-character ways of figuring out if she's the same person.

4th level clerics have DETECT GOOD/EVIL which can detect undead. Super easy. But maybe she's masking her aura with the 'Magic Aura' spell.

So another handy method that I like to use when I'm playing Straight Shooter characters:

"Hey, so your name is Valindra Shadowmantle. Neat. Did you know there's a lich who has the exact same name as you? Or are you the same person?"

cue: sense motive. Insight

If she is a Lich, I see no reason why she wouldn't straight out kill you if that's what she wanted to do. Since they didn't, It might be worth asking what they're doing.

Edited spelling n' stuff

Last edited:

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
That’s a failure condition. A success might well preserve the poker face.

I ask if I can recall hearing this name before. DM calls for a History (Intelligence) check. So whether I succeed or fail at that check, DM is going to rule that I DO recall the name and know who she is. Unbeknownst to me, what I am apparently actually doing is making an Intelligence (History) check to see if I succeed on a Charisma (Deception) check. Yeah, that sort of thing is going to annoy me. So much so that I would tend to shut down and avoid making any skill checks at all if I can help it, since the results are likely to be wholly unrelated to what I was trying to do. In this case, what if my character is a professional charlatan with expertise in Deception? I'm still going to drop my poker face while trying to remember a name?

Having said all that, yes, it's not a huge deal that the cat is out of the bag in this case. She's kind of a weirdo and numerous first-level spells and low-level abilities would blow her cover partially or completely. When I played, we had a warlock with Eldritch sight who detected within one minute of meeting her that she was magically disguised in some way, which quickly led to various proddings and inquiries until the full truth was out within 1-2 sessions.

Last edited:

I don't feel like you actually answered the question. This thread is about recognizing a name from a novel the player read and applying that knowledge as their character. Please answer within that context.

The DM is running a specific world. You personally recognize a name and act on it. That is a truth because it has occurred. Please move forward from there.

If I were the DM, I would reward the player's knowledge and move on. No problem.

Last edited:

Remove ads