D&D 5E Player roles that no longer exist, and why

Panda-s1

Scruffy and Determined
one of the players in my current game decided her character would be "record keeper" and act as a banker instead of distributing the gold out. my character is a monk so he doesn't really care, but everyone else was a little upset lol.
Left out, but not forgotten

The Note Taker -- They kept track of key learnings, NPC names, secrets, rumors, and the like for the group.
I feel like the note taker probably got supplanted once character sheet designers realized spaces for that sort of thing would be a nice addition.

atanakar

Hero
Mapper: After a few sessions in 1981, decided as a DM to draw the map myself as the party moved along.

Record Keeper: Still in use in my groups for money and property. I don't require players to remember everything and every name. It is their character who must remember. We do an intelligence roll with Aid to recall details.

Caller: Never agreed with that concept to begin with so never happened at my table...

lichhouse

Dreamer
Never played without a caller or mapper. We don’t have a formal record keeper although come to think there are some folks that gravitate to it.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
IME, if you don’t have a mapper in a “serious” dungeon crawl, you run the risk of getting lost, etc. Likewise, not having someone track campaign notes risks forgetting vital info, which a GM will probably not remind you of.

But not every game is so serious. In our group, it varies, even between campaigns by the same GM.

Panda-s1

Scruffy and Determined
IME, if you don’t have a mapper in a “serious” dungeon crawl, you run the risk of getting lost, etc.
yeah see I think the problem here is no one really does "serious" dungeon crawls anymore. I agree they're essential, but I only know about this through video games lol.

Left out, but not forgotten

The Note Taker -- They kept track of key learnings, NPC names, secrets, rumors, and the like for the group.

This is definitely a need.

This is an important one.

When I DM sometimes the players ask me what their characters know about such and such. I don't know. What did you find out? I can't remember. I'm not tracking that stuff.

Same. If I know it will be important, and it makes sense for a certain character to have remembered it (usually our Tiefling con artist or one of our two dragon experts) I will create a cheat sheet to give that specific character for the next session. Otherwise, they will have to work harder to learn that info or they will not be able to pick up that side quest unless they stumble upon it by accident.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
This is an important one.

When I DM sometimes the players ask me what their characters know about such and such. I don't know. What did you find out? I can't remember. I'm not tracking that stuff.
The most graphic version of this happened when we were essentially done for the evening, maybe...2-3 adventures into a commercially released adventure path. I was playing a rather brainy magic-user/thief. Everyone is packing up their stuff...and I had an epiphany.

I made a connection between the symbols on the medallions, the drabs of info the NPCs had given us, and so on. It all came together in an instant as a nearly completed puzzle missing only a few pieces. I spoke my theory out loud, and my fellow players thought I was on to something.

Then, because of real-world stuff, we didn’t game against for nearly 2 months. When I tried to recall what I had figured out, I couldn’t, and neither could my fellow players. The DM flat-out said he wasn’t going to remind me, even though only an insignificant amount of campaign time has elapsed- perhaps 1-2 days. I should have written it down, he said.

I was annoyed, of course, but I didn’t stay mad. Not only was he a good friend, he basically did as nearly any one of us would have- possibly myself included- given what he told me later in private- I had essentially figured out the entire plot of the adventure path.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
We've never had a caller.

We've always had a mapper.

We've always had a treasurer (often me, if only so I'm not mapper).

Note-taker is kinda done by committee most of the time.

Beer-deliverer - well, we're still working on that one...

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Mapper
Almost nobody likes this role. But I still like the concept in game. This is what I do. I have software that lets me share a map and progressively reveal it as it is explored. Most VTTs offer this functionality and you can get the same effect for free with GIMP if you are willing to spend time learning how to do layers.

The players like being able to see the map as they explorer. But here's the thing. There must be a character with cartographer tools for me to show the map. If that character dies or is unconscious or doesn't join for the session, I don't reveal anything new. I'll just describe things and we play theater of the mind.

Because of this cartographer tools has become a very valuable skill. Parties will want multiple characters with this skill and may hire out a hireling cartographer because of the advantages of getting the map revealed and shown.

Note that cartographer tool use is basically treated like a passive skill. They are assumed to be focused on mapping, so they do not get to use passive perception or other passive skills. Other players have to take on the duty looking for traps and enemies, etc. If there are architectural or magical tricks I may make the cartographer make an active skill check. Though for exceptionally high illusion magic, etc., they may just fail their passive and keep going until they realize something is off. For this to work, I need to have correct and incorrect versions of the map, also it is annoying if done too often, so this is a rare trick.

Caller
That's because D&D was often played like a war game with war gamer conventions and often with large numbers of players. I refuse to run games for more than six players, and six is pushing it for me.

Initiative Tracker
I used to have a player track initiative, but now I use software for this, which is simpler.

Loot Tracker
It is up for the players to track their loot. Usually there is one player who records loot during the game and it is divvied up at the end of the session.

Note Taker
This is a task for each player. It is their responsibility to take notes. But I'm not a jerk about it. I'll let the player make an intelligence check to remember something from a prior session. I may make minor changes or give more or less detail depending on how well they roll. This still give a strong advantage to players who take notes without punishing players who hate note taking.

Co-DM
One thing I've done long ago and would like to do again is have a co-DM to run NPCs help with combat, etc. As an example of this, see the podcast Dragon Friends.

For milestone BBEG encounters, I'm thinking of bringing in a guest DM to run the BBEG as deadly as they can. Basically they would run the BBEG as if they are competing with the players. I would run minons and track effects etc. Often these settings have multiple BBEGs so it helps to have multiple DMs playing against the characters.

dave2008

Legend
I don't know, I've played since the 80s and we never had a mapper, caller, or record keeper. I can't think of anything we did back in the day that we don't do now.

Remove ads