D&D 5E Player's Handbook Races

fba827

Adventurer
Some of those races haven't historically had sub races. So it'll be interesting to see if they make some or not for them.

Wolfskin

Explorer
What's going to be interesting to see is how they define tieflings, and if it favors the classic 2e/3e version or the rather different 4e version.
IIRC, in the playtest document 2e's Tieflings were renamed as "Planetouched" and are a blanket category for "humans with extraplanar blood". The Tieflings in the PHB will be probably 4e ones.

Remathilis

Legend
I know there are some races in the DMG (warforged and kender) and MM (orcs, goblins, etc) but I wonder how long we will have to wait to see aasimars, goliaths, changlings, shifters, genasi, and other additional races?

Sonny

Adventurer
They aren't my favorite (And why isn't Aasimar a base race if Tiefling is one?), but it's just fine since they didn't exclude former base races to include them.

Because one of the goals they had for the races (as stated way back in 2012) was to have all races that were present in every edition's first Player's Handbook playable right out the gate.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Also known as "My Favorite Book of All Time Ever". The original one, at least. I also think that the Inner Planes and demiplanes influenced by "classical" elements are underutilized. But I know that's not a popular opinion. :D
I agree you can do a lot with them, if you imagine them more thematically and less as a brutally oppressive "AHH, I'm (burning/buried/drowning) alive!". Caverns a mile high, filled with iridescent rocks and glowing fungus for the Plane of Earth, for example. Or cloud palaces, connected by soaring golden bridges for the plane of Air.

shadow

First Post
I'm interested in how the Dragonborn and Tieflings will be handled. I've always like the Tieflings in the Planescape setting - a race with a trace of fiendish ancestry. On the other hand, I didn't care as much for the 4e Tieflings. Maybe, it's because the Planescape Tieflings had varied appearance (reflecting their various fiendish ancestry) and came across as a little roguish, whereas I felt that the 4e Tieflings looked a little like they were trying too hard to be fiendish and bad@$$.

As for Dragonborn, I don't mind the concept, but I didn't like the 4e Dragonborn too much. That was mainly an artwork issue with me. (I know that it comes across as a little petty!) When I first saw the 4e Dragonborn concept artwork, I thought that it was artwork for lizardmen or Yuan-Ti. Where are they wings (even vestigial)? Where are the tails. Anyway, I thought that Monte Cook did a better job with the Dracha from Arcana Evolved. With different artwork and a better backstory, I can see the Dragonborn being a viable race for my campaign.

Just my 2cp

Emka

First Post
I very much liked the Eladrin vs Elf instead of High Elf vs Wood Elf, sad to see it gone. But hey Tieflings so.. !

Paraxis

Explorer
I just hope that female dragonborn look like they do in 4e. They are not lizards so I am happy with dragon boobs.

111128.jpg

Remove ads