D&D General "Players in my D&D Group Sometimes Play Characters of a Different Gender." (a poll)

"Players in my D&D Group Sometimes Play Characters of a Different Gender."

• True.

Votes: 154 91.7%
  • False.

Votes: 14 8.3%

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Is it true or false if I have players who frequently play characters of various genders, but all of the players who do so are nonbinary?

(The correct answer is obviously it’s true, but it’s still an amusing fact.)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
True, and it’s usually me.

Some GM’s I’ve played under didn’t care for cross-gender PC play, so of course, I conformed to their rules. That did mean, however, that certain concepts I had didn’t get played.*

* Some concepts depended on their gender as much as any other aspect, others were gender-agnostic.

Li Shenron

Legend
In my group(s) it happens probably for about 20% of the characters, meaning on average something like 1 PC per group. But I have noticed that some players wouldn't do it unless at least another player makes the same choice, maybe some don't feel comfortable about being the only case at the table.

As for sexual orientation, that's not even usually made explicit by the players or required by the story, since my games typically feature just a minimal amount of romance.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
As for playing a different gender role (I’m a straight male), I’ve only played a gay male and a bisexual female once each. I don’t recall ever playing a lesbian.

True. However, for a while I had a couple gamers that always made super model lesbian female characters. Was good to finally get away from that.

My "favorite" sub-trope of this was the gorgeous hard-core lesbian drow priestess or assassin. :rolleyes: Thankfully, as the gamers I played with got older that trope went away.

In one group we have three male players, myself included, playing female characters. Two other male players are playing male characters.

In another game we have two male players and one female players. All of us are playing characters of our own gender.

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
I’d say about 1/5 of the characters I’ve played have been different gender than me. Then there have been the cases when the character ”race” makes gender completely nonapplicaple.

I have once had a character in my game, who was a non-binary human. The player told me that she didn’t even want to decide what gender they were born with. They were androgynous to the extreme.

jasper

Rotten DM
Yes, the only bad thing is some of them given them generic names so I can't remember if they are male or female in the write up.

Remove ads