• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Players (not DMs): What do you do between games?

Henry

Autoexreginated
I plan my own game, I re-do my character sheet if something changes, and I read gaming supplements and stuff online like a maniac.

And when they are new, I pray to the Altar of Joss Whedon on Monday and Tuesday nights. (Make that Sunday and Tuesday, starting this fall!)

War Golem

First Post
I don't think my players do squat between sessions that is related to gaming. One of them is DM in our group's other campaign, so she prepares for that, but everyone else who just plays... let's just say that even when they get enough XP to level up, they usually end up holding up the game at the start of the next session because they haven't updated their character yet.

One of my players would probably spend a fair amount of time reading through gaming material, except the only book he owns is the PHB. He is always looking through my extensive collection of stuff when he's at my house on game night.

Cheers,

-War Golem

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
I hate down-time between sessions, so in a pinch I will play with myself.

I used to do this a lot more when I was just a kid, and it wasn't really until college that I got a chance to enjoy it with other like-minded folks.

Wulf

EricNoah

Adventurer
War Golem said:
I don't think my players do squat between sessions that is related to gaming.

Sounds like that irritates you. And understandably so, I think. DMs put in a ton of work to make the game fun, and when players can't take 15 minutes out between sessions to make sure they have accurate character sheets, etc., it feels like you're being taken for granted.

Artoomis

First Post
A good thread.

I play in only one game (got a family and a wife who doesn't game, so one day is all I get).

Inbetween sessions I have:

E-mailed the DM to work on certain character issues and rules.
Created a mini for my character (and I mean "created," not just painted).
Post on these boards and work on rules and such a bit0 This keeps me well-informed.
Work on my character so that I will always have current character sheets.

That about covers it, I think. At this point, I don't do a lot on my character between sessions - things are pretty stable and I've gotten almost all the rules interpretation I need for the game.

Last edited:

Kichwas

Half-breed, still living despite WotC racism
Wulf Ratbane said:
so in a pinch I will play with myself.

I used to do this a lot more when I was just a kid, and it wasn't really until college that I got a chance to enjoy it with other like-minded folks.
Really Wulf; is the right place to be talking about that sort of thing?

I plan my own game, work on things like PCGen, do art, browse the boards, or just 'have a life'.

I ponder the character, but the game I'm in doesn't have much in the way of downtime moments.
I suspects most players out there forget they're gamers when they're not there. I've certainly seen enough of the type that War Golem described.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
Myself, I don't generally do all that much. Sometimes I'll go over spell lists if a particualr situation is upcoming and I need to prep, but the main character I have right now is a lug of a fighter so I don't need to do that all that much. I have a priest in Wulf's game that I'll occasionally spruce up his spell lists inbetween games, but not too often. Otherwise I mostly just try to keep my character sheets up-to-date and accurate.

In one game in college, I drew up the floorplans of an Inn my Stonemason-turned-fighter was repairing. I tend to be good at that sort of thing.

In one game I ran, a few of my players would get together for lunch on Mondays after our Sunday game and discuss things and plot - those particular players did some of the most involved player work of any I've ever seen.

Victim

First Post
I read spells and work on my attack strategies. I hate being suprised by a spell I should know but overlooked. In a high risk adventure, I decide how my character feels about ressurection at the moment, and, if needed, create back up characters.

I also forget the names of most NPCs and locations, unfortunately, along with many of my plans.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Victim said:
I decide how my character feels about ressurection at the moment, and, if needed, create back up characters.

Yeesh. I should probably do that, too.

But I think that might be on my list of bad karma. Any one of the following transgressions just screams, Dead Man Walkin'!

1) An unnamed character
And no, you can't just go with "Bob." You better have a name before you roll that first d20. You know what happens to guys on Star Trek who don't have a name, right?

2) Using an unpainted miniature
Nothing broadcasts your intentions to the powers-that-be like an unpainted miniature. If you don't care, why should they care. Buying and painting your miniature doubles your character's life expectancy. At least.

2) An unkempt character sheet
This includes folds, wrinkles, holes in the page where the pencil poked through, and spots where you have erased the sheet over and over until you have worn a hold in it. Oh, and you can add foodstains to the list, too.

3) A new character sheet
Now, I admit it, this is just plain superstitious, and maybe it's just because I'm an unlucky sort. But if you spend hours painstakingly recopying your character, you can be sure he's going down next session.

4) Having a ready back-up character
Your character will hate you for this, and to spite you, he will fail his saving throws. It's like having a "back-up" girlfriend-- "You know, honey, just in case!" No matter how you spin this one, it's not going to go over.

Wulf

Remove ads