D&D 5E Players Self-Assigning Rolls

jasper

Rotten DM
Are you saying that "player rolls dice as he describes his action" means the GM was interrupted as a default? no.

Are you saying no interruption happen except in the case of die rolling by players? No.

Are you establishing any actual tie between these two actions that make them happen together or just writing about how they could be done at the table together? no.

If the latter, what about gm calling for rolls leading to soda spills? That can be very disruptive and bring the whole game to a screeching halt. what the?

Sent from my VS995 using EN World mobile app
No I saying you are a jerk if you interrupt the dm with rolls before he calls for them. I am saying you a jerk if roll dice ahead of time, I will not allow you to keep the die roll. The only exception is during combat. Feel free if you are up next to roll to hit and damage while I am subtracting the fireball damage from the fire giant that Ovinomancer just cast.

5ekyu

Hero
Yes, but I don't do that as any sort of passive aggressive act as some in this thread are calling it. Something impossible is........impossible. However, virtually anything can be failed. I've watches adults with 40+ years of walking trip over nothing(not even their own feet) and fall while walking across a flat surface. Maybe it took 4 or 5 1's in a row, but they managed to fail a task that simple. I was going to grant the simple, but failable task as an auto success, but by rolling ahead of me they made that failure an option. Dice are used when the outcome is in doubt. That said, if a task if just nearly impossible(by my standards, not the DC number), but not actually impossible and they roll ahead of me and drop a 20, I will give them a chance by requiring 1 or more further 20's depending on difficulty.

this is the part that SOME have trouble understanding.

It makes sense in a way for a Gm to say "everything has a chance of failure." As a 40+ who has fallen over nothing, sure... though that "nothing" really turned out to be me not paying attention.

But, if one believes this to be the case, the disconnect is then just offering up auto-success but only to players who don't do the dice thing you have a thing against.

You aren't saying "i gave them auto and that other a die roll cuz their description was better or approach more on track" but based off the player behavior.

I, for one, maybe others too, have a firm rule for me as Gm in my games... i do NOT deal with player behavior problems thru in game "adjustments" that punish certain individuals who might have done something i dislike.

Now, that rule is self-imposed. i don't think it is against the RAW and so its likely legal to do that in 5e so don't take this as a bad Gm thing, but having seen more than enough cases of GM girlfriend syndrome and other examples of GMs letting rela world into their games... its something i absolutely hold back in my own performance.

I don't like it when players do this as I want the intent of the roll to take place before the die is cast. Just chucking a die unbidden and then assigning an intent to the outcome - usually a good one - doesn't fly in my game. I nearly never hear a player say, "I roll a 7 to find secret doors."

So wait until I ask for a roll and then roll in the clear, in front of everyone.

Also, I usually only allow ONE roll for a given purpose. One character makes that roll and gets Advantage if another PC is in a position to Help them. None of this scattergun approach to skill success. One roll.

5ekyu

Hero
No I saying you are a jerk if you interrupt the dm with rolls before he calls for them. I am saying you a jerk if roll dice ahead of time, I will not allow you to keep the die roll. The only exception is during combat. Feel free if you are up next to roll to hit and damage while I am subtracting the fireball damage from the fire giant that Ovinomancer just cast.

OK but can't we agree that we can replace "with rolls before he calls for them" with about a hundred other examples of interrupting the GM?

Interruption is bad, whether its being done by the Gm or players, but it is not married to rolling ahead of time, right? Just like spilling drinks is bad and might occur when a GM calls for a roll, but that doesn't make GMs calling for a roll bad.

As for the idea that rolling ahead is signs of being a jerk - well in your games you certainly may see that as true. In my games, it is seen as efficient. So it boils down to "are you following the table rules".

No argument, not following the table rules is bad and should be avoided.

But again, that is its own topic not tied to "players rolling ahead."

jasper

Rotten DM
"OK but can't we agree that we can replace "with rolls before he calls for them" with about a hundred other examples of interrupting the GM?"
NO. because as you said "players rolling ahead." is the topic. As red leader said when I was doing the trench run. Stay on topic. Which confused me because I had the exhaust port in my target scanner. Then the dm evil npc shot me.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
this is the part that SOME have trouble understanding.

Then bold explains it.

Yes, but I don't do that as any sort of passive aggressive act as some in this thread are calling it. Something impossible is........impossible. However, virtually anything can be failed. I've watches adults with 40+ years of walking trip over nothing(not even their own feet) and fall while walking across a flat surface. Maybe it took 4 or 5 1's in a row, but they managed to fail a task that simple. I was going to grant the simple, but failable task as an auto success, but by rolling ahead of me they made that failure an option. Dice are used when the outcome is in doubt. That said, if a task if just nearly impossible(by my standards, not the DC number), but not actually impossible and they roll ahead of me and drop a 20, I will give them a chance by requiring 1 or more further 20's depending on difficulty.

Pretty much everything has a failure chance, even if it is very small. By rolling I am not adding in a failure chance. I'm simply allowing the natural failure chance to re-assert itself and no longer override it.

It makes sense in a way for a Gm to say "everything has a chance of failure." As a 40+ who has fallen over nothing, sure... though that "nothing" really turned out to be me not paying attention.

But, if one believes this to be the case, the disconnect is then just offering up auto-success but only to players who don't do the dice thing you have a thing against.

I disagree. The alternative is for me to have people roll dice for a chance to fail for every mundane action they take, and that's just absurd. It's far more preferable for me to just give auto-successes when applicable and to allow failures for rolls.

The take-away is this. Don't roll the dice ahead of time. It's cheating(albeit minor cheating) and you could be gimping yourself.

You aren't saying "i gave them auto and that other a die roll cuz their description was better or approach more on track" but based off the player behavior.

Which is no different from the reckless players losing a lot of PCs to death due to hitting traps, attacking dragons solo, etc. Player behavior impacts the game. It's unavoidable and not necessarily a bad thing.

I, for one, maybe others too, have a firm rule for me as Gm in my games... i do NOT deal with player behavior problems thru in game "adjustments" that punish certain individuals who might have done something i dislike.

I don't, either. I have no animosity towards the behavior. It's just has a certain result since rolling happens when outcomes are in doubt and at no other time. That's how I run my game. I'm not into punishing players and would never do that. I'm not their parent.

Now, that rule is self-imposed. i don't think it is against the RAW and so its likely legal to do that in 5e so don't take this as a bad Gm thing, but having seen more than enough cases of GM girlfriend syndrome and other examples of GMs letting rela world into their games... its something i absolutely hold back in my own performance.
It's not "legal" to roll without the DM asking. No rule allows it. You can house rule it in, like with your lasso example, but the DM is the one who calls for rolls. Players don't get to just roll first by RAW.

Last edited:

5ekyu

Hero
I wouldn't really call it a crack in the approach, given that the players don't need to know what mechanics apply if such an approach is being used. If players decide their own roles, it's important for them to know what skills and abilities can be used to achieve what effects, so as not to ask for the wrong thing. Naturally, playing in a game run this way, one will quickly get used to what mechanical elements the DM considers appropriate for what tasks. However, in a game where the DM always tells the players what to roll, there is no need to learn what mechanical elements apply to what tasks. That's not part of the player's job in such a game.

It's kind of like saying that players not knowing how to handle a ball with their hands is a flaw of soccer versus American football. Strictly speaking that's true, but handling the ball with your hands isn't a skill a soccer player will ever need.

It could equally be said that reliance on one’s familiarity with the skill system is a flaw of the self-selecting rolls style. When players who are used to playing in games where initiating their own rolls is the norm switch to a game where the DM prefers players only to describe their actions and the DM tells them what to roll, it can be difficult for them to adjust; in fact, that is exactly the issue that this thread was initially created to get advice on addressing. Like an American football player switching to soccer, their instinct to catch the ball with their hands can get in the way. The player may have certain expectations about what to roll when that don’t match up with the DM’s style. I occasionally have players who are new to my games (but have played with other DMs who preferred the players to initiate their own rolls) to ask me if they can, for example, make a Perception check to look for something. In such cases, I usually tell them that a check might not even be necessary depending on their approach, and encourage them to tell me what they’re looking for and how. After a brief adjustment period, I’ve found that players often enjoy not having their success be so reliant on random chance. One player in particular often tells me how much he appreciates that I don’t make him roll all the time because he has terrible luck and hates failing checks his character should be good at due to low rolls.

I don’t think either style is superior to the other. It’s just a matter of personal preference. Some players, like the one I mentioned above, enjoy the immersion and freedom to succeed or fail by merit of their own creativity over stats and rolls. Some players would rather let the numbers and the dice do the talking and don’t want to come up with descriptions for everything they do. Both are equally valid play styles, and different DMing styles will serve different plauers’ preferences better.

OK so a few things and a serious disconnect from me on this...

First, this is not language police but it actually impacts meaning, where you said "roles" and i underlined it in that first graph, i think you meant to say ROLLS, as in if the players assign their own ROLLS they need to understand etc.

I am proceeding with that.

But here is why i think you are incorrect about the players no needing to know which mechanics apply to which actions... they built the character.

Unless they do not have character sheets, unless they dont have to go thru chargen of any serious degree of crunchy spending bits, then they **NEED** to know those mechanics in order to know the results of this choice vs that choice.

"Saxon is a great medic" and assigning low wis and no skill in healing are contradictory, a conflict between description and mechanics that will show in play when it comes time to determine an actual result for that effort by that character.

Similarly, in play trying to get the out of the gaol cell deciding between(describing) using a "muscle approach" (force bars ),a "dextrous approach" (lock pick) and a skilled approach (masonry) or others its a practical necessity for the player to have a clue which of his abilities should apply and really what they are.

Someone else describe the role of mechanics in resolving situations of thing, their hope, was to have them basically fade into the background while the description and interactions flow, with the players not thinking about their characters abilities and mechanics.

What i want is for them to absolutely keep those mechanics and abilities in mind *as* they choose their actions and select their approachs and work in the scene and show it through their description.

i want the *mason* to have *masonry proficiency* and to be the one who suggests and tries the "stonework to weak bars" approach as he describes his character's choices and i don't want the dexterous guy with lock skills to be the one trying to force the door and i really don't want the described "muscle guy" (who actually has an 8 strength cuz, you know, no reason for player to know) to be the one to try the masonry angle without the actual mason involved.

One character attempt intimidate the guard by being big, beefy and pushing up against them while another just stares calmly while sharpening his knife and whistling in a odd sort of way. They players should choose those approaches for their characters base on not a *lack* of knowledge of their strengths, weaknesses and how those apply to the situation but on accurate knowledge of those things.

As i have said, for various games where the detail and crunch and mechanics are built in to be mostly narrative and where honeslty "screen time" is an actual gameplay element and "hit points" really is not, the idea that you dont need to know mechanics of actions is great but for a game like this one where you do spend a lot of time on builds, on chargen and where at a moment's notice your mechanics can be called in and determine the outcome, the idea that players don't need to know this enough so that *often* they get it wrong is a very bad marriage of game system and gameplay. if and when a scene "goes to the dice" having that player not aware of how that scene will use their stats, not know whether this was good choice or bad choice, and having that player "often" surprised by the outcome... is just a hindrance to roleplaying.

In my games, R-P-G all play a roll and mostly an equal role.

ROLE is running the character to suit the charater you wanted and you built and having that chracter's mechanics match those.
PLAY is your making choices that fit your character and his personality and his past and his aptitudes and weakness reflected in both the mechanics and the choices and the expectations of results.
GAME is having the mechanics of resolution and success fail all tie together with the other things, with the decisions and choices, with the setting and scene and the narrative.

And as stated before, it is not either/or for "die roll vs description. What i am referring to is what my players do and what i have seen other players do again and again, choose character actions, describe character actions and interact with a scene keeping their character's actual definitions in mind and then rolling dice at the appropriate time they choose, with of course Gm having full option to veto or adjust as needed.

Consider this...

There is a discussion between a player and an NPC. The player is trying to sway the NPC in their favor. The discussion goes back and forth. The discussion has ebbs and flows. The outcome in uncertain.

I have no problem with the player at some point of his choosing to pick up his dice and basically decide to "call scene" on a high point, on a good line from him, and making the roll then and there. Sure, we could have continued that dialog for another 10m or 20m or whatever and it could have been fun etc but its not *me* and me alone who gets to decide "the editing" of that in my games... and letting the player decide to make that the point they want to roll is not something i have a problem with.

That is *not* the same of course as saying "and thats it, give me an answer now." and in game cutting the talk short. That is a different thing which lets the "act" itself play into the resolution of the scene.

Not everyone would like giving the player that "creative control" over their scenes, that is for sure.

In my experience, i find not having one standard of expectation for player choices and knowledge of mechanics and use of mechanics for combat resolution (i choose to use my axe because thats where i am best) and a completely different one for out-of-combat challenges does not serve the roleplaying game experience well for me and those i have seen.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
One thing I've noticed in connection with games where the players ask to roll or make rolls unprompted is that players often don't make a clear statement of goal and approach. The DM steps in after the roll and fills in the blanks, saying what the character does.

Player: I make a Perception check on the door. *rolls* 20.
DM: Okay, you spend a few minutes examining the door, giving the hinges a look-see while jiggling the door knob. You find nothing out of the ordinary, but it is locked.
Player: I make a Thieves' tools check. *rolls* 15.
DM: Alright, you take out your thieves' tools and find your lockpicks. After some careful work, you manage to unlock the door.

And so on. So not only do we have a situation where the player is stepping into the role of the DM by making rolls unprompted, the DM is now stepping into the player's role and saying what their characters are doing instead of just narrating the results. Even some of the "famous" DMs sometimes do this. It seems that failing to put forth a clear statement of goal and approach creates a vacuum that the DM feels the need to fill. If the player makes a clear statement of goal and approach instead of (or at least in addition to) making an unprompted role, this reduces the chance the DM will start overstepping his or her role in my view.

In my experience, however, the unprompted rolling and the lack of a clear description of what the player wants the character to do go hand in hand. What really cracks me up is when the DM oversteps his or her role and then the player's like "I totally didn't jiggle the door knob..." or whatever. Which leads to some stumbling around and revision all of which could have been avoided on the front end with some succinct description.

5ekyu

Hero
Which is no different from the reckless players losing a lot of PCs to death due to hitting traps, attacking dragons solo, etc. Player behavior impacts the game. It's unavoidable and not necessarily ...

i see a clear distinction between "the player rolls at the wrong time" (behavior of the player) and "the player describes his character doing some reckless activity" (player choices for his character) in very strict terms... the former cannot impact in-game activity and results and the latter must.

Some don't agree of course.

Remove ads