• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Players Self-Assigning Rolls

5ekyu

Hero
When asked for examples you replied with this...

It depends on the situation, which the DM is tasked with judging while being reasonably fair and consistent.

to be clear it was to the following questions

"What would be the auto-success description for using arcana or religion or others to RECALL info? "i think really hard and check each drawer in my mind without fail?"
What would be the auto-success description for diagnosing a disease in a world of pre-modern medicine and magical afflictions? "I use hot onyx stones applied to the stomach to drive the toad that is growing in his stomach out, placing them precisely."
What would be the auto-success description for pick pocket, tightrope walking, etc?"

Thank you for your response and as much your choice of how to respond. it tells me exactly what i needed to know.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
When asked for examples you replied with this...

to be clear it was to the following questions

"What would be the auto-success description for using arcana or religion or others to RECALL info? "i think really hard and check each drawer in my mind without fail?"
What would be the auto-success description for diagnosing a disease in a world of pre-modern medicine and magical afflictions? "I use hot onyx stones applied to the stomach to drive the toad that is growing in his stomach out, placing them precisely."
What would be the auto-success description for pick pocket, tightrope walking, etc?"

Thank you for your response and as much your choice of how to respond. it tells me exactly what i needed to know.

Your response implies that is not the case.

And I already provided examples upthread of how a player might state a goal and approach sufficient to gain automatic success in recalling lore. I even gave an example from my game that occurred recently. I invite you to go back and find them if you are truly interested.

As for others, without the exact fictional context of the scene, it is difficult to say what a successful approach might be for those tasks. And arguably, I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't, because if I provide a specific example with exact fictional context, then I open myself up to criticisms that the example was too specific to be broadly applicable at which point I'd have to unwind that whole mess. No thanks.

In any case, I think it's reasonable to say that, given the right conditions, there is a chance that any of those tasks might be automatically successful. That should be a given in my view and there's no need of examples to show that.

5ekyu

Hero
Your response implies that is not the case.

And I already provided examples upthread of how a player might state a goal and approach sufficient to gain automatic success in recalling lore. I even gave an example from my game that occurred recently. I invite you to go back and find them if you are truly interested.

As for others, without the exact fictional context of the scene, it is difficult to say what a successful approach might be for those tasks. And arguably, I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't, because if I provide a specific example with exact fictional context, then I open myself up to criticisms that the example was too specific to be broadly applicable at which point I'd have to unwind that whole mess. No thanks.

In any case, I think it's reasonable to say that, given the right conditions, there is a chance that any of those tasks might be automatically successful. That should be a given in my view and there's no need of examples to show that.

And again, thanks for your very informative choice of how to respond.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Whatever cart before horse ideas you have did not stop numerous examples to advocate for the approach at all... Usually easy cases for search for instance.

All i am asking about is to post other significant cases where the skills less obvioys to normal folks where that same strategy is just as applicable.

It seems to draw not "here is an arcana case" or "here is a disease treat case" but evasions or dodges.

Also, as shown in iirc even some published products proficiency itself can be a determinant of failure not an after thought made only once the GM decides a roll is needed.

Sent from my VS995 using EN World mobile app

Arcana:

Bob the Arcanist: "I'm going to study the scratched in runes on the altar and see if I've come across them before in my studies of the arcane."

Me, DM: "Sure thing! You recognize the markings as part of a warding that involves lots of negative energy and keyed to touching the altar. You also notice that the sigils exempt members of the faith the altar is tied to. Unfortunately, you neglected the courses on religion at Mage College, and so can't immediately recognize which deity they refer to."

Medicine:

Bob the Medic: "I'm going to examine the symptoms being shown by the ill villagers and see if I can determine what ails them."

Me, DM: "Sure thing! After examining the ill villagers, you recognize that they all bear the distinctive symptoms of Swamp Pox. You know how to treat this disease and the needed medicines, which are easy to find. You can give these people advantage on their saving throws to improve if you spend the time treating their illness.'

What's next?

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
So to the dice it approach folks. For the search questions, if a player walks into the room and says I'm going to search for the MacGuffin and gets a 7 total, so they missed the DC 10 and fail. You say you find nothing. Player B says to himself, "that glass globe on the chandelier he just described would be a great place to put a McGuffin of this size...Ok DM I smash that globe is there anything inside of it?" Assuming that is where it was does he still have to make a roll? If he rolls bad how does he miss what he is looking for even if its pretty much impossible to not find it once you look there?

And honestly as to the auto success on Arcana and such, Ovi really nailed it better than I can. I gave auto success all the time on stuff anyone with a little skill in a subject would just know when the player would frame their action intelligently. But if you lead with I make an arcane check and roll poorly well you are bound by that.

5ekyu

Hero
So to the dice it approach folks. For the search questions, if a player walks into the room and says I'm going to search for the MacGuffin and gets a 7 total, so they missed the DC 10 and fail. You say you find nothing. Player B says to himself, "that glass globe on the chandelier he just described would be a great place to put a McGuffin of this size...Ok DM I smash that globe is there anything inside of it?" Assuming that is where it was does he still have to make a roll? If he rolls bad how does he miss what he is looking for even if its pretty much impossible to not find it once you look there?

And honestly as to the auto success on Arcana and such, Ovi really nailed it better than I can. I gave auto success all the time on stuff anyone with a little skill in a subject would just know when the player would frame their action intelligently. But if you lead with I make an arcane check and roll poorly well you are bound by that.

Well for starters with a roll of 7 total my description of the result would not be as simple as "you find nothing" - almost none of my "describe results" are that simplistic. i would observe that their search found nothing but add in bits of this and that to show them that they are not clear and confident that it was a full good search. there are numerous things presented already to illustrate this. One of them might well be that some things rattle when picked up.

If players followed up on those to do more specific, more destructive things, then the results would have a chance to chenge - just like how a locked door can be attempted to get past with skill (pick locks), muscle (force the lock) or by simply destroying it. Simpkly destroying it is an option.

The catch of course to your "smash the goblet" is the result of "it contained a fragile macguffin, now destroyed" just like the "kill the door" approach comes with its own "cost for certainty" attached.

The underlying question for balance considerations is "does the narrative fiat strategy" produce such demonstrably better outcomes than the "character skill approach" or not, and in the case of the smashed goblet and the killed the door examples, the answers should clearly be no often enough to not make this such a well advocated strategy for more success as some choose to describe their other auto-success impacts on play.

5ekyu

Hero
Arcana:

Bob the Arcanist: "I'm going to study the scratched in runes on the altar and see if I've come across them before in my studies of the arcane."

Me, DM: "Sure thing! You recognize the markings as part of a warding that involves lots of negative energy and keyed to touching the altar. You also notice that the sigils exempt members of the faith the altar is tied to. Unfortunately, you neglected the courses on religion at Mage College, and so can't immediately recognize which deity they refer to."

Medicine:

Bob the Medic: "I'm going to examine the symptoms being shown by the ill villagers and see if I can determine what ails them."

Me, DM: "Sure thing! After examining the ill villagers, you recognize that they all bear the distinctive symptoms of Swamp Pox. You know how to treat this disease and the needed medicines, which are easy to find. You can give these people advantage on their saving throws to improve if you spend the time treating their illness.'

What's next?

Ok well unlike the seacrh options presented where there is a clear "say it this way and fail" vs "say it this way and succeed" your examples above tend to just list words with no real connection between the success and failure that shows a clear alternative failure.

What would be the failure words for the arcana "I'm going to study the scratched in runes on the altar and **not** see if I've come across them before in my studies of the arcane."

Would the failure for the disease check be "I try to treat them by ignoring the symptoms?"

Or do *all* such arcana checks succeed as long as they say that choice of phrase?

Or do you actually have a list of all the runes a character studied and which days in class they skipped and all diseases they know and dont know?

See, most folks i know of, would treat "did my character see this rune in class..." or "do i know this disease and how to treat it " as a case of a skill check not just a fiat and do not have or maintain master lists of every disease and rune cross referenced to classes and teachings.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Great now please can you provide examples for knowledge aracane auto success descriptions for say recignizing the origin and natures of runes? Or are their two tiers of skills as you see them - one which cannot be practicalky speaking talked to auto success and those who can often enough to be strategicalky beneficial to try for it?
Ok, so it’s worth noting here that I run Knowledge skills differently than I think most of the folks on the no-player-initiated-rolls side of this argument. See Ovinomancer’s response for one that is likely more typical of how someone in that camp might approach that.

For me, yes, there are two different “tiers” as you put it, or rather categories of checks. Ones that can be described as an action a character does, and one that passively happens in a character’s brain. I don’t like the awkward word gymnastics that have to happen to phrase wanting to know if you recognize the origin and nature of runes in the goal + approach format, and I don’t like DM-initiated “there’s a thing you might know more about, roll to see if you do” checks. So I handle such checks with the passive score (10 + Ability Mod + relevant Proficiency if trained). So, if I include some strange runes in the dungeon that players might or might not recognize, I’ll not a DC for players to recognize them. Intelligence (Arcana) 12 for easy, 17 for moderate, 22 for hard. I would probably include another DC for knowing it with Intelligence (History), and might also note that a character who can read the language the runes are written in passes automatically. Then when I describe the runes, I will include the information about their nature and origin right in the description if anyone reads the language or has a high enough passive Intelligence (Arcana). I will make sure to point out that the players are receiving this information because of so-and-so’s high passive ability or language. “Thanks to your arcane studies, you recognize these runes as...” or, “with your vast knowledge of history, you recall that these runes...” or, “being familiar with Primordial runes, you recognize these runes easily, and can tell that they say...”

Now, assuming no one met the passive DC, it might be possible to actively analyze the runes with a more typical goal-and-approach action. For example, “I translate the runes by comparing them to this handy Primordial/Dwarvish/Goblin/Orcish/Giant Rosetta Stone we found on our last expedition into the Ruins of Convenient Plot Devices.” That’s going to be an automatic pass, although it will probably take some time. “I try to translate the runes by randomly guessing” is going to be an automatic fail, because there’s no way randomly guessing will lead to the correct interpretation. “I try to translate the runes by comparing them to Dwarvish, which I am familiar with and uses the same script” I will probably allow an Intelligence check for. Off the top of my head, I can’t think of what Proficiency might apply, but if the player suggests something reasonable, “could my Proficiency with translator’s tools help?” I’d allow it.

And again, in none of these examples is the quality of the description of the action the determining factor. It’s the content of the action that I care about. The goal and the approach.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Ok well unlike the seacrh options presented where there is a clear "say it this way and fail" vs "say it this way and succeed" your examples above tend to just list words with no real connection between the success and failure that shows a clear alternative failure.

What would be the failure words for the arcana "I'm going to study the scratched in runes on the altar and **not** see if I've come across them before in my studies of the arcane."
"Hi, I'm Bob the Arcanist, and I'd like to look at those runes using my training in arcana and see if I've never seen them before."

"Could you rephrase that in a way that wasn't utterly bewildering, Bob? Thanks."

Would the failure for the disease check be "I try to treat them by ignoring the symptoms?"
Um, what?

Or do *all* such arcana checks succeed as long as they say that choice of phrase?
Which choice of phrase? You asked for examples of what an auto-success arcana check and an auto-success medicine check might look like. I provided. Now you're accusing me of requiring the specific form and fit of my examples as 'push this phrase button to win?' Are you trying to be a jerk about it?

Or do you actually have a list of all the runes a character studied and which days in class they skipped and all diseases they know and dont know?
Why would I? Seriously, if Bob the Arcanist, who has studied arcana, cannot decipher arcane runes, what was the purpose of his training?

Or, is this a weird way of asking how a similar situation might be treated as uncertain instead of autosuccess?

If that, and that's me taking an extremely charitable take on your word salad there, if the runes or archaic or of a significantly more powerful effect than what poor Bob could do. However, since Glyph of Warding is a 3rd level spell, and roughly the effect that the altar used in earlier examples would be, I'd give that a free pass to most any group, as at 5th it's in the baliwick.

But let's imagine an archway covered in runes that evoke a gate spell for a specific class of demon if activated using the proper ritual and the party being only in the second tier, so not able to cast similar magics. That might go as follows:

Bob the Arcanist: 'I rely on my training in arcane writing at Mage College to see if I can decipher the markings on that archway."

Me, DM: "Sure thing! You get a vague impression that it might have something to do with teleport magics, but you're uncertain. Bob, make me an Arcana Check, DC 20, to decipher the runes."

Bob (success): A 22!
DM: "Cool! You figure out it's a powerful summoning effect that attracts (specific demon type) from the Abyss. It's powered by a ritual, you figure, but how that works the writings don't say. You'll have to look for that information elsewhere."

Bob (failure): A 17. Shucks.
DM: "Unfortunately, you talents aren't up to fully decrypting the writings."

For the disease, a similar event might take place for a rarer or magically induced disease. As you just asked for an example of an autosuccess, I showed one with the assumption that Swamp Pox was a common and easily treatable disease.

See, most folks i know of, would treat "did my character see this rune in class..." or "do i know this disease and how to treat it " as a case of a skill check not just a fiat and do not have or maintain master lists of every disease and rune cross referenced to classes and teachings.
Well, that's not surprising as you likely play with most folks you know of and they share your preferred style. However, when I'm trying to explain my style, which differs from you, perhaps you shouldn't try to evaluate it based on what other people that use your style might say. You might find you learn something, even if you choose to continue on your current pathway.

I don't have a master list of diseases or runes either, but I can, very easily, determine if this disease or those runes are common or rare and adjudicate based on that. It's really that simple -- instead of not caring whether this set of runes or that disease is common or rare and letting dice and an arbitrarily selected DC determine if players know what it is, I figure if that piece of information is something I want to be a challenge to determine or if its something that's better off as knowledge the players should have. If the former, it's rare or special and requires a check. If the latter, proficiency in the skill will usually be enough -- although I'll often allow someone not proficient to make a check on common things, or even no check if they tie it into their backgrounds well enough. "My mom died of Swamp Pox, does this look like the same disease?" will get an automatic 'Yes, it does!" from me. That detail is now set for that character, and the game moves forward for it. If the nature of the disease wasn't critical to the rest of the adventure, I'd rewrite the scene on the spot to accommodate that, even.

Not in my lexicon.

Good roleplay is interesting and character-appropriate. If the character is a paranoid nutjob, very carefully not searching under the cardboard box because "it's obviously a trap" is good roleplaying but unlikely to achieve the stated goal...
Perhaps. In general, though, D&D characters are supposed to be competent and not insane. There are some games where you aren't supposed to play a mighty hero, and other games where you're expected to go insane, but D&D isn't usually one of those games.

In this case, though, the terms are being used as synonyms in this argument. If you disagree with them being used in interchangeably, then feel free to substitute the latter term in all cases.

Remove ads