• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Players Self-Assigning Rolls

5ekyu

Hero
If nothing is hidden, and nothing that is not hidden can be missed, what is the roll being used to determine?

Already answered as best it can be. if you actually don't get it by now, then i cannot change that. if you do get it but want to play like you don't, i don't care.

But its time i start sending out the more detailed ghost ship search emails to the various players so, i will call this one piece of the topic closed for now as far as i am concerned.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
First graph - i find it odd that as much as i have said the goal should not in my games or in appaoaches like mine play much if any role in the determination of the action and its result (exception for where the goal provides clarity for an insufficiently clear action) folks seem to think its worth it to tell me how goal is not the same as approach or method and that goal should not be the determiner of auto-s/f. That seems to be more agreeing with me than not but it often seems presented in the reverse.
Almost like the idea that goal should be the determiner of auto-s/f is something you fabricated in your own head and not actually a feature of the goal-and-approach method, and people have been trying to point that out to you to get you to stop misrepresenting their arguments.

Second graph - As i answered this in my earlier post for a case of the more generic wording of action where the GM wanted it to be that the table could not be moved or "weighs a ton" , let me cover it here in more depth for the more likely action plus roll case i would encounter in my games that you have now brought up...

**HAD** I not described the table correctly or adequately to make it clear it was heavy *AND* it was important to the scene that the table cannot be moved alone, i would tell the player that its obvious to their character that the table is way too heavy to move based on their experience with moving, pushing hauling stuff it and a closer examination. Then I would ask them to describe their approach if they still want to try and move it - pretty much as described above. this would likely be described as a case of what they figured out when they tried, not as a case of it being as obvious just by looking, given i did not include that originally... again unless that particular element is important or critical to the scene.

However, a key element is this - if it was *important to the scene* that the table cannot be moved by one person, then (barring just flat out error on my part) i *would* have thrown in a word like massive, heavy or something into the original description. Or if it was important to the scene that the table cannot be moved alone but it looks like it could (plot point of why is this table stuck here so solidly i can't move it") that might be not an error or omission in description at all.
So, pretty much exactly how someone using the goal-and-approach method would handle it. Good to know.

If it was *not* important to the scene whether or not the table can be moved, then i would at that assign in my mind up a description of the table that made it possible the table can be moved and then adjudicate the result as normally - especially if the character was a high strength proficient in athletics character. 17 is enough to beat moderate DCs so... likely its a success and i continue appropriately.
Sure, much like I would do, except that I would add “but wait for me to ask for the check next time, please. You might not have needed that Athletics check.”

Remember the rule of yes i mentioned from time to time - "say yes unless their is a compelling reason to say no." odds are with a 17 (esp for a high strength and athletic character), the result is a moved table. 17 beats moderate DC and moving a table is something even i can do and my physical abilities which are well below what would pass as moderate in that game world. heck, my own
personal stats would not be legal scores on a point buy where 8 is the lowest, but i can move every table in my house and most tables i encounter.

So, barring a compelling reason to say no... on a roll of 17, you move the table and we move on to what happens then.

hope that helps.
Definitely. Sounds like a very 4e style approach (which is a complement coming from me. I’m one of those weird ones who actually really liked 4e.) That’s a legitimate way to handle it, even if it’s not my preferred method any more.

5ekyu

Hero
I'm sorry, the point of saying "it's not a mistake" is not to avoid fault on the part of this hypothetical DM. Maybe it was a 'mistake' to omit the information, maybe it wasn't. The point was to illustrate how an action resolution method goes about refining our knowledge about the fictional world our characters inhabit. This is what I mean when I talk about engaging the fiction. It's not possible, as a DM, to completely describe every actionable detail of the game-space. Nor would that really be desirable.

No argument and from my POV filling in those details is often as much caused by player choices and PC actions than from me. As i stated earlier the player's choices and their character's rolls can help guide the details.

As i describe in my other response to IIRC another poster, a big part of your table resolution case to me would be whether it was important that this table not be able to be moved (solo) as far as the scene is setup. i would not off-hand respond with "weigh a ton" or any negative result unless there was a compelling reason to do so. otherw sie a check or a success would likely be used and the table would be movable. most "move a table" cases would be an EASY DC, some Moderate if the general descriptions had established such as the decor, but "weighs a ton" to be DC 20 (very hard) or beyond would either be a very specific "for good reason" pre-defined element of the scene (which would make it a mistake IMO) or a clue "i should have been able to move it but" which would make the description being nothing out of the ordinary a plan (and not a mistake.)

ASIDE -in my games, in the majority of cases it is the players and their characters who end up creating the need for and nature of additional details in scenes by dint of their players choices for their character's actions and the character's aptitudes. it is rare that i "reward" the intersection of intent, action, aptitude and even luck with "you find nothing" just because i had not seen that as there beforehand.

redrick

First Post
No argument and from my POV filling in those details is often as much caused by player choices and PC actions than from me. As i stated earlier the player's choices and their character's rolls can help guide the details.

As i describe in my other response to IIRC another poster, a big part of your table resolution case to me would be whether it was important that this table not be able to be moved (solo) as far as the scene is setup. i would not off-hand respond with "weigh a ton" or any negative result unless there was a compelling reason to do so. otherw sie a check or a success would likely be used and the table would be movable. most "move a table" cases would be an EASY DC, some Moderate if the general descriptions had established such as the decor, but "weighs a ton" to be DC 20 (very hard) or beyond would either be a very specific "for good reason" pre-defined element of the scene (which would make it a mistake IMO) or a clue "i should have been able to move it but" which would make the description being nothing out of the ordinary a plan (and not a mistake.)

ASIDE -in my games, in the majority of cases it is the players and their characters who end up creating the need for and nature of additional details in scenes by dint of their players choices for their character's actions and the character's aptitudes. it is rare that i "reward" the intersection of intent, action, aptitude and even luck with "you find nothing" just because i had not seen that as there beforehand.

Sounds good. Again, yeah, it sounds like you play your game in a manner that is legit. My complaint is simply that you seem to be ascribing all sorts of faults to the way other folks are playing their game, based on isolated situations, mostly because we prefer to have players state their goal and approach before the DM calls for a skill check.

I think the mutability of a game world, or the quantum uncertainty of a game world, is also going to vary from adventure to adventure and DM to DM. Personally, I like the world consistent with how I originally intended it, unless maintaining that consistency would lead to something Un-fun at the table. It just makes it easier for me. So, if I've included a bridge that is too weak to support the weight of medium-sized PCs, I won't change that just because a Medium PC walks out onto it. I will give that player the information they need to act in a reasonably intelligent fashion, and allow them to adjust their approach. The exception to this would be when maintaining the world as I imagined it completely closes off an avenue that the Players would like to explore, and I think opening that avenue up would be fun.

(So, for instance, in the case of the stone table, the weight of the table is a complication for something the players have decided to do — which is move the table. There isn't any incredibly compelling reason that one character shouldn't be able to move the table, from an overall fiction and gameplay reason, but I decided the table would be big and heavy, so I'm gonna stick with it. By working together, the characters can still move the table, and this presents a different solution than the player might have come up with on their own. On the other hand, if I had decided, without any strong reason, that the table was attached to the ground, and the players wanted to move it so they could climb on top of it (maybe to hang some sort of trap from the ceiling?), I would probably make the change in my mental notes that moving the table is now possible.)

Satyrn

First Post
So sure, your leg's caught in the bear trap now. You hear a bear approaching from the West.

>Open Trap

Your mundane words have no effect. Please try stating a goal and approach.

>Use Key on Trap

You enter the numbers scratched onto the beartrap. Congratulations! You have successfully registed your copy of Windows 3.1. You hear a storm approaching from the East. A bear blocks the West.

>

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
First graph... So you are describing a case where the player did not state a goal of jump to the moon... thats fine but has nothing to do with the stated and responded to case, right?
Nope, I'm responding to your addition of a condition (jumping above the cover that assumedly is hiding the character from being seen, a situation that the character might want to otherwise avoid?) and saying that that addition to the situation changes the adjudication. The character may define his goal as reaching the moon and his approach as jumping, but if there are other consequences to jumping, and the outcome of those consequences are uncertain, then, yes, I'm going to ask for a roll because now a failure on the roll (in this case defined as jumping too high) will have a consequence. So, since you chose to add a new element, the outcome of the approach is now uncertain and has a consequence, even if the goal is an auto-fail.

You see, being a person that doesn't execute a ridiculous set of code against all situations, I can evaluate a goal and approach declaration based on the totality of the circumstances involved. In this case, the character fails to achieve his goal -- automatically without regard to the outcome of the roll -- but there may be a consequence to the character being too good at jumping.

Ruling a goal as automatically unobtainable doesn't mean the approach doesn't have consequences or isn't uncertain.

To give a different example that illustrates this point, if there's a mimic in the middle of a room pretending to be a chest, and a player declares his character goes over to the chest and opens it, well, there's going to be an automatic failure of his goal -- no matter what, that mimic doesn't open -- but the WIS (perception) check I ask for to resolve that goal and approach isn't addressing the goal, that failed, but instead whether or not the character notices it's not a chest before touching it and starting the encounter adhered to the mimic.

Please stop assuming that everyone else but you is a robot unable to adapt to anything. Further, stop adding new things to a situation discussed and then insist that the original answers everyone gave before that addition still hold. They may, they may not, but if you add things you should give the benefit of asking how the new situation would be handled instead of assuming we'd all still do it exactly the same way. Given you offer yourself that ability, you should consider sharing.

Second graph... can you clarify where i said any of that about you or your players? Come on, sure you can because otherwise you would be inventing something "my argument hinges upon" which was just not there. So lets be clear, the post i responded too was about a case defined by others of a stated "jump to the moon" goal and then later where it was stated clearly "There is no roll. Why? Because it's a bloody waste of time. Everyone knows that it's an auto fail, so making the player roll to see whether he gets 2 feet or 3 feet into the air is useless. That's why the DMG says that you roll when the outcome is in doubt. Rolling for every little thing drags the game down like not pulling the anchor up on a boat before sailing off". In that specific case i responded to it was clear the poster was referencing players defining impossible goals, the time it takes to resolve the rolls and the frequency of those rolls and the problems they cause.
It's quite simple: you insist that my players will state obviously impossible things and that I will then adjudicate those obviously impossible things like a robot. Further, you insist that when you add or change the scenario, both my players and I will be unable to change, instead remaining exactly the same. If you continue to insist that the jumping to the moon example is anything other than you inserting what you what to make the answer given irrational and then insisting it's us asking to change the situation, then, yes, I stand by my statement that you're assuming we're all idiots and that we must play with idiots because no one would actually do that at my table, nor would any of us stand for it.

The only way you can continue to so badly misconstrue the responses you've been getting is if you're intentionally painting everyone on my 'side' (another ridiculous claim that by using 'side' you aren't painting with a broad brush) as morons. Or robots. Either way, persons unable to be rational.

So it does not seem that out of line to wonder about how often those things do indeed happen in their game that they need a process to cut down that time.
Well, you've been repeatedly told that they don't happen the way you insist they do, so, yes, it's out of line to keep insisting they happen that way despite being corrected, often and, shockingly, rather politely.

And, again, since you were not that poster, its baffling how you take that response to someone else's post as being something focused on or aimed at your or your players.
Is it? You keep painting with a broad brush and not addressing your remarks to specific posters. In fact, you often reference things said by multiple posters in your responses in defending your assertions that we use an inflexible 'right words' approach to gameplay. You've specifically referred to things I've said both in the post I quoted and in other posts you've made since then. How, exactly, should I not feel included in your remarks when you're doing such a good job of including me?

I'm the one that made the remarks about climbing the tree, and, in that context, it was to help my players achieve their end goal (as in why they wanted to be up the tree to begin with), not in the context of adjudicating the specific act of climbing the tree. I have some players that get grand ideas of cinematic actions, like climbing a tree and then jumping down on top of a mounted villain and knocking them to the ground. In that case, I'd like to know that whole plan instead of getting it piecemeal as separate action resolutions so I can work with it as much as possible. I don't want the player to spend a few actions climbing up a tree only to find out that what they thought the situation was isn't what I think it is. So, I said that not because I need that extra information to adjudicate the climbing of the tree, which is what you implied by your reference, but as a more general tool that I use to make the most of my games with my players.

Are you and the other poster the same person under different IDs? if so that might explain your transference.

Are you?
Do you know why so many posters are leveling accusations of less than honest engagement on your part? This is why. That question is insulting. Further, it has nothing to do with anything at all except your attempt to deflect. However, I'll extend you the courtesy of assuming you're just having an off moment or have some holes in your interpersonal interaction skillset and say, no, I post as myself alone, and own up to every post I've made.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Sweet! You assumed that when I said bear trap I meant trap made for catching bears. My plan worked!

*ahem*

Gotcha!

No, it's because you said my leg was caught in the bear trap. Everyone knows bear traps hug you around the torso, not the legs. You can't walk that back now, I based my whole approach on it!

Remove ads