D&D 5E Players: Why Do You Want to Roll a d20?

Rhianni32

Adventurer
ok my cynicism aside. Why do I personally like to roll a d20?
Because I don't always like to get my way. I want to have surprises in my plans and then to adjust to them.

The fickle d20 can bring surprises and challenges when you roll that 1 or several of them. I get the argument that a player playing the master thief should just be able to automatically be a maser thief because it fits their character and let them have fun. If that is the goal then why have rules just do some storytelling.
Note: I'm not saying this is the right or wrong way to play. If you like this then absolutely play how you want!

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Based on my experience with play-by-post and other messageboard games, players often put a roll in their posts in an attempt to boost efficiency. They don't want the game to be held up for hours (even days) because they did something only to have a GM come back with "Make your Wisdom (Insight) check," which then necessitates another post by the player for the roll, followed by yet another for the GM's adjudication of that roll.

I've seen similar behavior at tabletop convention games as well where there is often a time limit on the event.

I did once have to tell a messageboard player in my game,"You don't really need to make a Diplomacy roll every time you talk to someone," because it was getting a bit tedious to see it. But it's not all that problematic a behavior because, even in a game in which I'm encouraged to only call for a roll when I think it's necessary, I can ignore the roll he made in favor of the adjudication I was going to make anyway if it was going to be an auto-success or auto-fail.

jasper

Rotten DM
I'm interested in hearing why you want to roll a d20?.....because my dice talk to me in my sleep if I don't roll them often. Rolling the dice gives Jasper nice long rest. Not rolling the nice pretty dice results in short rest with little sleep and dice telling me to ..... do not nice things.
It is by sweating palm and whimpy muscles I set the dice into motion
It is the thought of be alone with DIE four I set the dice into motion
It is the plastic of Gynax that Cheesex acquire stains, stains are a warning.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
because in some player's minds it removes the decision from the arbitrary whims of the GM and frames it into perspective. You roll a 20 or a 1 and it will "force" the GM into an answer that gets confirmed.

its also "forces" the GM during any begging and pleading when the players want to do something and the GM says no "Well let me just roll a d20" really means "let me see if I roll a nat 20 then you have to let me get what I want."
I used to feel this as a player very much. The dice were objective, and therefore safe. The DM was subjective, and therefore untrustworthy. Didn’t really matter if the DM was generous with their adjudication, the fact that the could slam me with a gotcha or otherwise rule adversarially was enough to fuel my anxiety and send me clambering for the perceived fairness of the random number generators.

Last edited:

Remove ads