D&D 5E Players: Why Do You Want to Roll a d20?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Am I the only one who read this and thought it would be more efficient if 1 and 2 were swapped in the order?
I don't think it matters which extreme is first, if the answer to either one of them is no, you have to check the other before proceeding to #3.

What is your specific thinking about why it would be more efficient to go the other way?

Fanaelialae

Legend
I don't think it matters which extreme is first, if the answer to either one of them is no, you have to check the other before proceeding to #3.

What is your specific thinking about why it would be more efficient to go the other way?
Too simple for a check is far more likely than impossible IME.

If you make #2 the first step, you only need to make one check (too simple = yes, stop) the vast majority of the time, vs two checks (impossible = no, too simple = yes, stop).

I find that simple actions:
"I walk to the bar and order another ale."
are far more common than impossible:
"I walk to the End of Time and order a Pangalactic Gargleblaster."

Admittedly, this might not be true if the players constantly want to do impossible things, but I can't imagine how that would happen with regularity unless the players were getting their jollies from messing with the GM.

All that said, the question was mainly poking fun at myself. I write software for a living, so that sort of analysis is literally part of my day-to-day. It was the first thing that popped in my head when I read it, which I found amusing, so I figured I'd share.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth

If you make #2 the first step, you only need to make one check (too simple = yes, stop) the vast majority of the time, vs two checks (impossible = no, too simple = yes, stop).

Admittedly, this might not be true if the players constantly want to do impossible things, but I can't imagine how that would happen with regularity unless the players were getting their jollies from messing with the GM.

All that said, the question was mainly poking fun at myself. I write software for a living, so that sort of analysis is literally part of my day-to-day. It was the first thing that popped in my head when I read it, which I found amusing, so I figured I'd share.
XP for the Douglas Adams reference.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth

XP for the Douglas Adams reference. :)

5ekyu

Hero

While personally I think its really artificially separating what is in fact one step - is it in doubt for me is usually not actually a decision but a reaction and I cannot think of a single case where both impossible snd too easy would be both provoking a reaction - it's not that big a deal so I will throw in the towel as soon as I find it.

Remove ads