D&D 5E Playing the Game vs. Reading the Rules of the Game

How often have yoy playested 5e, and what do you think of 5e

• Poll closed .

am181d

Adventurer
Thanks for your baseless, untrue, and accusatory post. Stay classy.

To be fair, his post WAS accusatory, was SEEMINGLY untrue, but certainly wasn't baseless. You accused the original poster of putting together a biased poll without giving any good reason HOW it was unbiased, and claimed the results were suspect because they show that a lot of people on these boards are (a) following the playtest and (b) enjoying the game.

It certainly SOUNDS like you're saying "People here disagree with me, therefore there opinions must not be typical."

I don't think that's any reason to be a jerk to you, but you did not come off well in your previous post.

n00bdragon

First Post
As a matter of fact I didn't accuse the OP of anything other than creating a poll that is not representative of the larger D&D community but only representative of this one board AND that it seems to have been built with the intention to scorn those who judged the game unfit without having played it extensively. Please, by all means, correct me if I'm wrong on that [MENTION=2525]Mistwell[/MENTION], but that struck me as your intention.

Even though I have played 5e a lot (mostly through lack of choice) I don't feel its fair to the population of people who took one look at it and nope.avi'd because, as I stated before and I will repeat here for clarity of my position:
1. They typically aren't here to vote, so they are underrepresented in the poll
2. Those that are here to vote on that are, IMO, being derided for their choice which is, again IMHO, wrong

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
As a matter of fact I didn't accuse the OP of anything other than creating a poll that is not representative of the larger D&D community but only representative of this one board AND that it seems to have been built with the intention to scorn those who judged the game unfit without having played it extensively. Please, by all means, correct me if I'm wrong on that [MENTION=2525]Mistwell[/MENTION], but that struck me as your intention.

Naw I am still waiting for you to answer my questions from before. To repeat:

This poll is flawed. I bet no one in this topic has played FATAL but I would be willing to bet none of you feel that's necessary to decide if the game is for you or not.

What specifically is flawed, and how would you prefer the language be worded. I have the option to say whether you have read the rules, and then the option to say whether you've played it or not, and the option to say if it is for you or not. Seemed to cover all the bases, what's the bias there, and what change would you make to it?

There's also a severe selection bias here (to the point where we are no longer talking "statistically relevant" but "statistically bonkers"). This forum is overwhelmingly biased towards 5e and overwhelming biased towards die-hard players who've been keeping up with the playtest.

Well nothing I can do with that. I work with the audience I have. How would you have done it differently to poll people not here? And what's your evidence that the selection here is "bonkers" and the forum is "biased towards 5e"? Seems like there are lots and lots of people here, who like different flavors of D&D.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
I think your case is quite common: you own a lot of systems already, so another edition of D&D doesn't necessarily make for a significant addition to the array of games you can play. But I do think that this makes you part of the captive audience nevertheless!

By contrast, the only RPG books I own are D&D 3e. If I buy 5e, it will definitely be much more for me than just another option :)

I admit I'm a bit of an edge case here. I consider myself a role player first, D&D player second. My general concern is that if Next is attempting to be a big tent game it should be a little less forceful in pointing the game towards a particular style of play. I don't want to not like Next. It's just the overall tone of the community and the game seems rather dismissive of a large cross section of the community. The lesson learned from the launch of 4e should not be that they pointed the game in the wrong direction. It should be that in a community as diverse as the one we have you need to provide support for a variety of play styles.

I had the same feeling about that passage... I used to do similar things when I was a beginner DM, but in time I learned that I prefer to rely on written DCs and other numbers, especially for physical challenges. Of course when it comes to non-physical challenges, or more precisely to challenges that are impossible to compare with each other in absolute terms, such as convincing a guard to let you pass "because I am an old friend of the Duke", or to recall the meaning of the 247th arcane symbol you see in a dungeon, the DC are pretty much made up all the time... the range can be told by the rules, but how does the exact DC vary between bluffing Joe the guard or bluffing Jack the other guard, are pretty much random.

It wasn't setting the DC based on details of fictional positioning I took issue with, though I believe there are better ways to handle social interaction than guess the DC. It was advocating not even setting the DC before you know the results of the roll. Process is important. When you judge difficulty after the action you open yourself to judging that roll based on what you personally wish to happen. I don't want to DM that way and do not wish predetermination and illusionism to become the default way to play.

I was also not a fan of the Ignoring The Dice sidebar in the How To GM packet. I think you can talk about fudging in a broader discussion of play styles, but it should not be an assumed element of play.

Last edited:

Remove ads