D&D 5E Playing the Game vs. Reading the Rules of the Game

How often have yoy playested 5e, and what do you think of 5e

• Poll closed .

Argyle King

Legend
I will repost what I posted elsewhere.

Thoughts about 5E after a hands one session at the local gaming store tonight...

I tried to take into consideration that the rules being used were playtest rules and not the final product. However, there seemed to be a world of difference between the stock pregen characters (of which I play one,) and characters that players made themselves. System mastery appears to be very much alive in 5E. I'm unsure how I feel about the combination of a game which is less complex than 4E, but also appears less balanced than 3rd; there were a few moments when that was the worst of both worlds for me as a player.

It was not all negative though. I liked having an additional die to roll concerning certain skills with my character. I was playing the dwarven fighter pregen, but I asked the GM if I could swap out the soldier background for the guide background. After leveling up the pregen (to level 3 so I'd be on par with the other players,) I chose The Path of The Knight. Even though my charisma was terrible, the extra d4 I was able to roll on Cha checks was actually very helpful (and at worst cancelled the penalty to such checks from my 8 Cha.) So, I like the flatter math and how it seems to be implemented outside of combat. Trying something non-optimal wasn't the same as trying something suicidal or worthless in other editions.

However, combat seemed to be all over the place when it comes to balance. Somehow, even though there is (supposedly) flatter math, it certainly doesn't seem more flat in actual play. As I said above, there was a world of difference between my pregen and the character of a guy who made his own. I was struggling to do 1d8+3 (max of 11 damage,) while his gnome barbarian duel-wielding finesse weapons was rolling twice on most attacks (more accurate) and also doing way more damage; all while not have a very noticeable sacrifice in terms of defense.

Another thing that seemed to make combat feel all over the place was the perception that (this may be wrong, but it's how things worked out in play) that most everybody has a great to-hit, but a relatively crap defense. This lead to some encounters feeling a lot like rocket tag.

All-in-all, combat felt like a mixed bag. To some extent, I felt my defensive abilities as a fighter helped the party; I was able to absorb hits which were intended for other party members. However, there were a lot of times when I felt as though I could have been having a lot more fun and could have been far more useful to the party had I picked a different character. I was able to contrast this with a second table who had no fighters at all; were caster heavy, and they completely steamrolled the Encounters session. In fact, they were finished with their entire session before the group I was with even made it through one combat. In the end, I was stuck feeling as though my character had little or no impact on how things turned out. I took a ton of damage, and then used my second wind to heal, so I suppose I soaked attacks -which is good? However, I didn't feel as though I contributed to the party in any other way; I felt I was struggling to keep up with the rest of the party. Like I said, I often felt I would have had both more fun and more input on how things played out had I played something else.

added: I came away with the impression that I like some of the mentality behind 5th Edition, but have no idea how the mechanics are supposed to support that mentality. My impression of the mechanics went from apathy before playing to negativity after playing. While there were some bright spots I enjoyed, I have some concerns about how the game works in play versus how it reads. I also have some concerns that perhaps the mechanics aren't solid enough to base a modular system around without it easily breaking. To some extent, I feel there is a conflict between what the game wants to do ideologically and what the game actually does in play.

Edit: Somehow it worked out that the minimum damage the Gnome could do was 9.

Warbringer

Explorer
That is not my experience at all. While a bad group will make a bad experience out of a good game system (as defined by my tastes), for myself, the opposite does not hold true. A good group will not override my dislike for a game's mechanics and concepts unless I or the person running the game have house ruled the offending items (and, if we are bringing in house rules, we are not talking about the rules as written). So, assuming that we are sticking to discussing the rules as written, no matter how good the group might be, the mechanics or concepts that I dislike are going to be there like an itch needing to be scratched while those I strongly dislike will be grating on my nerves like fingernails across a blackboard.

Well, I wasn't posting on good vs. bad, and sorry for not being clear. My point, in relation tot he thread, is rules as played vs rules as written.

My point is simply that rules often play differently in situ as opposed to being read. Mechanics create a complexity that sometimes simply evolve out of the game play, rather than just the game rules.

Last edited:

I like what I see, and I plan to get the core books, so I can try the full system. But I really doubt it will a better system, for what I want, than Pathfinder. Playtest a number of times in a number of packets, and I like a fair amount of it, more than I liked of 4E. I'm willing to give any version of D&D a try.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I've observed it enough to analyze it already, thanks.

But you said it was hard for you to understand...so apparently analysis alone has failed you?

I am pulling your leg, of course.

But I don't think you can read an RPG rules-set and truly get a feel for how the game will play without potentially material errors in your assessment. I think it's common for the kind of guys who tend to be attracted to RPGs, to THINK they can do that without error (I used to think it myself). Hence my analogy to reading about birth and then experiencing it, or the Sheldon character on Big Bang Theory thinking he can read about how to drive a car, and then discovering that the experience of driving is much different from reading about it. RPGs are like those things. Its common to think you're cunning enough to grok the game experience from reading the game rules, and it's also common to be wrong in that thinking.

Last edited:

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
But you said you didn't understand...so apparently analysis alone has failed you.
No, I understand what I need to. People are odd. I said as much. There's nothing really for me to really "understand" when it comes down to it. Analysis has shown me this. I'm just smart enough to let it go, and say "play what you like :)" rather than try to bang my head against the Wall of Force that is made of odd people holding odd views.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
No, I understand what I need to. People are odd. I said as much. There's nothing really for me to really "understand" when it comes down to it. Analysis has shown me this. I'm just smart enough to let it go, and say "play what you like :)" rather than try to bang my head against the Wall of Force that is made of odd people holding odd views.

Sorry i was editing my response while you were responding...

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
I am pulling your leg, of course.
I know.
But I don't think you can read an RPG rules-set and truly get a feel for how the game will play without potentially material errors in your assessment.
I know you think that. You're wrong, of course; I can certainly do that with great accuracy nearly 100% of the time, from my experience.
Its common to think you're cunning enough to grok the game experience from reading the game rules, and it's also common to be wrong in that thinking.
That's certainly true of many people. It's not true with me.

I think the fact that you seem to think that it's impossible for anybody to be able to assess whether or not they'll like something (only RPGs? If so, that's weird) without trying it to be outrageous, personally. But that's just my view. As always, play what you like :)

Libramarian

Adventurer
Playtested once and disliked it greatly, and I dislike most of what I read in the packet, and I haven't read anything from the developers since Monte Cook left that excited me, so I conclude that it is probably not for me.
@Mistwell is the most irritating 5e homer currently posting, IMO.

You know if you do not like what people post, ignore them. Don't go around making more or less veiled insults. Such behaviour is indeed irritating. -Lwaxy

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads