D&D (2024) Playtest Druid and Paladin One D&D survey is live.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
They reduced the ceiling for a Paladin Nova, but the average over and Adventure Day is probavly about the same. One suspects the nova potential was underestimated in 2014.
Nothing people like better than seeing their favorite classes nerfed. I'm sure that'll go over great.

mellored

Legend
Problem? No. But absent the arbitrary constructs of "Power Source" and "Role" there is no point.

Of course it doesn't need the 4E structure to "work," but without the 4E structure there is nothing there to speak of.
The idea of a martial support still exists.

Give them bonus action help of rogues mastermind. Commander's stike from the battle master. Share second wind of the banneret. Expertise to trip. Ect...

Stuff like that.

Really, there are enough features already in the game. They just need put them together in coherent package.

Gorck

Prince of Dorkness
Nothing people like better than seeing their favorite classes nerfed. I'm sure that'll go over great.
I was just thinking the other day how D&D forums seem like the anti-WoW forums. On WoW forums, most people boast, "my favorite class is awesome and all the other classes suck!" On D&D forums, most people lament, "my favorite class sucks and all the other classes are awesome!"
The idea of a martial support still exists.

Give them bonus action help of rogues mastermind. Commander's stike from the battle master. Share second wind of the banneret. Expertise to trip. Ect...

Stuff like that.

Really, there are enough features already in the game. They just need put them together in coherent package.
The more I think about the Warlord, the more I think of it as a combat-focused Bard crossed with the Battle Master Fighter's Commander's Strike maneuver. The Bard for the Control/Support/Healing aspects and the Commander's Strike for the . . . well, 4e Commander's Strike at-will power.

Which I guess could be made into a subclass similar to College of Valor or College of Swords, but with a more defensive leaning. Give Proficiency with Medium Armor (perhaps Heavy as well), Shields, and Martial Weapons, maybe some Battle Master maneuvers (including Commander's Strike), yada, yada, yada . . .

Last edited:

mellored

Legend
The more I think about the Warlord, the more I think of it as a combat-focused Bard crossed with the Battle Master Fighter's Commander's Strike maneuver. The Bard for the Control/Support/Healing aspects and the Commander's Strike for the . . . well, 4e Commander's Strike at-will power.
Kinda.

But it's explicitly non-magical. Which kind or rules out this iteration of the bard.

I guess my litmus test for the warlord is that making attacks yourself should be the backup option.

Even just a..

If you help with an attack as an action, it gives advantage to the next Int attacks against that target instead of just one.
You may then make a single weapon attack as a bonus action against that target.

Gorck

Prince of Dorkness
Kinda.

But it's explicitly non-magical. Which kind or rules out this iteration of the bard.
Ah, I knew there was something I was missing. It was never really a fully fleshed out thought, just the germ of an idea marinating in the back of my brain while I was at work doing boring accounting stuff.

On the ride home I thought that the “performance” part of this made up subclass would be oratory- battle shouts and barking orders to the rest of the party. But then I realized that maneuvers were very similar to the College of Valor “Flourishes.”

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
They reduced the ceiling for a Paladin Nova, but the average over and Adventure Day is probavly about the same. One suspects the nova potential was underestimated in 2014.
I keep hearing how you don't need 6-8 encounters per day to challenge a group and you can do it with only 1 or 2 encounters. If that's true then damage over the day is going to vary quite a bit based on DM encounter choices. The fewer the number of encounters, the bigger the hit the new paladin will take.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
I keep hearing how you don't need 6-8 encounters per day to challenge a group and you can do it with only 1 or 2 encounters. If that's true then damage over the day is going to vary quite a bit based on DM encounter choices. The fewer the number of encounters, the bigger the hit the new paladin will take.
If you play in AL, for example, most sessions will be something like 3 encounters and maybe one short rest.

I've played in home games where this is the norm, as the DM wants to have big setpiece battles that challenge the players, and doesn't want to bother with 6-8 encounters where some of those fights are "three orcs in a room".

I played a Paladin in AL during the Curse of Strahd season, and I just smote everything I could until I ran out of spell slots (after briefly trying to be a spellcaster and falling flat on my face thanks to failed concentration checks), figuring ending fights faster was the most effective use of my resources.

The New Paladin can't do that, but is, as you noted, forced to spread their power out more, which does limit them in shorter adventuring days. I'm not against this change, as I like the idea that Paladins might not be able to use all their slots smiting (and will thus have spells to use outside of combat), but it does reinforce a balance model that has proven to be undesired by many groups.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I was just thinking the other day how D&D forums seem like the anti-WoW forums. On WoW forums, most people boast, "my favorite class is awesome and all the other classes suck!" On D&D forums, most people lament, "my favorite class sucks and all the other classes are awesome!"

Which I guess could be made into a subclass similar to College of Valor or College of Swords, but with a more defensive leaning. Give Proficiency with Medium Armor (perhaps Heavy as well), Shields, and Martial Weapons, maybe some Battle Master maneuvers (including Commander's Strike), yada, yada, yada . . .
Obsession with mechanical fairness (often referred to as, "balance") is the bane of the WotC editions, in that it crowds out other conversation.

Remove ads