Please Help Me With Cleric Spell Choice

Amazing Triangle

First Post
My spells from Spell Compendium:
1st level - Blessed Aim, Grave Strike, Ebon eyes

2nd level - Quick March, Divine Insight, Deific Vengence, Close Wounds

3rd level - Mass Conviction, Mass Aid, Girallon's Blessing, Ring of Blades, Knight's Move

4th level - Moon Bolt, Lesser Holy Transformation, Spell Vulnerability, Recitation

5th level - Blistering Radiance, Divine Agility, Righteous Wrath of the Faithful

6th level - Bolt of Glory, Cometfall, Visage of the Diety, Spider Plague, Lucent Lance

7th level - Radiant Assault, Holy Transformation

8th level - Brilliant Aura, (Possible sub spell) Stormrage

9th level - Summon Elemental Monolith

How do these look?

Thanee

First Post
Not sure what feats you got, but if you got Quicken Spell (which is highly recommendable at this level), you can prepare some of the better buff spells of the lower levels (i.e. and esp. Divine Power) as quickened for those surprise encounters. :)

Bye
Thanee

Vanye

Explorer
Amazing Triangle said:
It is a battle cleric so a mix of boost and damage. I can only use the PHB and Spell Compendium. Miricle would be great if not for the cost per spell of XP and it is a 9th level spell and as a 17th level character I can only cast at level 8.

Light of Lumia, 1st level. You glow with a silvery light (30ft radius) , and during the duratino of the spell you can release the light in 2 bolts, each doing 1d6 damage (double to undead), with a 30ft range.

Not a lot of damage, but it's a 1st level spell, of which you get quite a few, and it's a light source for something like 10minutes/level.

The 2nd and 3rd level spells do more damage (2d6 & 3d6, respectively) and generate light as well.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Vanye said:
Light of Lumia, 1st level. You glow with a silvery light (30ft radius) , and during the duratino of the spell you can release the light in 2 bolts, each doing 1d6 damage (double to undead), with a 30ft range.

Not a lot of damage, but it's a 1st level spell, of which you get quite a few, and it's a light source for something like 10minutes/level.

The 2nd and 3rd level spells do more damage (2d6 & 3d6, respectively) and generate light as well.
My PC just hit 16th level (14th-level clerical power) and my experience has been that if you're resorting to 1st and 2nd level spells for damage dealing, you're already in a heck of a lot of trouble and should be fleeing for your life.

At high levels, 1st and 2nd level spells are best used for buff and utility spells, preferably those you can cast outside of combat (like Resist Energy). For direct damage dealing, you should be using your high-end spell repertoire.

Amazing Triangle

First Post
Thanee: I choose the feats Extra turning, Divine Might, Sacred Boost, Agument Healing, Divine Shield, Combat Casting, Quicken Spell

Extra Turning to fuel all my other turn using feats. As I only have 5 turns a day this gives me 9 so I can boost and still turn.

I have to agree with Pendragon with the amount of high level damage spells a first level damage spell is better used as a buff.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Amazing Triangle said:
Divine Shield...I only have 5 turns a day
With only a +2 charisma bonus at 17th level, I recommend you drop Divine Shield and pick up something else. The +2 bonus to AC isn't worth the standard action required to activate the ability. At 17th-level, one round can mean the difference between life and death.

Nail

First Post
Lord Pendragon said:
With only a +2 charisma bonus at 17th level, I recommend you drop Divine Shield and pick up something else. The +2 bonus to AC isn't worth the standard action required to activate the ability. At 17th-level, one round can mean the difference between life and death.
Exactly.

Your best bet is to play to the Cleric's strengths: as a support character. By level 17, my cleric was making it pretty tough for the bad guys to harm is at all. :] And the damage I was able to get our Ftr and Rog to do was truely astounding.

Consider re-doing your feat list. If I were you, I'd completely scrap every feat you've selected except for Quicken Spell. Take feats that improve your spell potential, like Divine Spell Power and Divine Metamagic (Quicken Spell). If your DM balks, propose an ammendment to the Divine Metamagic feat to limit it to spell levels you can cast.

I'd also ditch those domains, as they don't play to the Clerics strengths...but that's IMO. YMMV.

Then look over the spells (PH, PH II, SC) that have durations of 1 hr/lvl or greater. These are spells you should be casting on all party members as often as possible. I particularly enjoyed Energy Immunity, Magic Vestment, and Greater Magic Weapon....but there are many others.

As for healing: If I were you, I'd just invest in a few wands of Lesser Vigor. Save your spells for buffing the good guys and limiting the bad guys.

And really: let the fighter kill the bad guys. You're just making it possible.

Nail

First Post
BTW:

Miracle is the be-all, end-all spell for clerics. Use it frequently (and especially to buff...oh, the combinations you can come up with!).

Amazing Triangle

First Post
The reasons for the domain choice was to show what he was standing for / believing in. That and I choose Augement healing and Sacred Boost to push my healing higher. I choose Divine Shield because the DM has cut the 17th level funds to 112,000.

Well Nail, what domains would you choose? Healing seemed like a standard choice. I mean I don't want to be the main damage dealer of the party, nor do I want to spend every round buffing or taking care of the party in some way. IMHO Miracle has its downfall in that you prepare a 9th level slot for a 7th level spell. With only one 9th level spell other than my domain I would rather prepare something like Summon Elemental Monolith or Storm of Vengence. But I could be wrong.

Thanee

First Post
Amazing Triangle said:
Thanee: I choose the feats Extra turning, Divine Might, Sacred Boost, Agument Healing, Divine Shield, Combat Casting, Quicken Spell

Divine Might requires Power Attack, AFAIK.

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads