D&D 5E Please un-NERF Magic Items in 5e

The more fantastic magic items are, the less they affect game balance.
bland +2 swords, everyone can create and needs to be replaced soon: a tool.
a chain shirt +3 that stacks with your armor, but you will only find only once: exciting.

StAlda

Explorer
There is no arguement that some 1e/2e/3e magic items were too powerful(game breaking powerful), ok so nerf them. But the example I gave, +1 or 2 to AC, does that really make the character too powerful or useless when the ring is lost? I think not, but it does make you excited to get it. In the 4e design a wand of fireballs is less needed because of at-wills and encounters, so I can see them and similar items being changed. Because really, after a fight, why do we search the bodies and room, WE ARE LOOKING FOR MAGIC! (or money or something unique)

Rampant

First Post
Well that's the problem isn't it?

3e and 4e nerfed magic items because they needed to fit within the framework of the character's normal progression.

If you don't assume everyone is going to be completely kitted out then you can make them more potent.

It depends on whether you have items as inside or outside the standard character progression.

StAlda

Explorer
Grant it, this is just my opinion, but magic items should have never been considered part of character progression.

Although it may have a difficult implemantation, Firelance may have something. A 5th level fighter with a +3 sword is considered a 6th level when determining party strength. So on a character sheet you would have class level and character level. If you run a high magic campaign, a fifth (class) level party would be appropriate in a 7-9th level adventure. I can see that.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
I'm with the OP...but I don't know if "unnerfing" is the right term.

It sounds, and correct me if I'm wrong, that it's not a matter of having "powerful or useless" items...but items that "feel" magical...the "wondrous", the "fantastic"...again.

Yes, sure. We were all in campaigns in the pre-3e days where you stocked your character up with a bajillion magic items (a BAJILLION, I tell you!) that did everything from give you a place to sleep to make you un-hit-able to taking out Orcus in one shot.

The party that had 3 fighters and a ranger and ALL of them had a flaming sword and plate +3.

But that, from what I read/have heard, isn't what is "missing" from magic items in post-3e games.

There's a place for +1 swords (how else are you going to hit gargoyles or wraiths! ;) ). And everyone, I hope, remembers that first "aw cool!" moment when your piddly level 2 fighter got his first magic weapon...or a 2nd level wizard got their first ring or cloak of protection (FINALLY! I'm not automatically getting hit by EVERything!)

Yes, they became a part of what made your character cool...but they weren't entirely your defining character. A powergamer is a powergamer in any edition and obviously will find/take advantage when they can. That's up to the DM to control/limit...if possible. It's not really the kind of thing that rules can provide.

I think, with the whole introduction of "crafting items" and the "magic wal-mart at the next town" are what did the most harm to magic items "feeling" magic.

There was no "wonder" anymore. There was no (or severely limited/eroded) "aw cool". Nothing the DM could throw at the PCs that they hadn't seen before. There was just "This is what I want. How many gp?"

Let alone the "entitlement" of what I understand to be 4e's system of a "wish list" or automatic "parcels" of loot that are player requested.

Get out into the world and try to find what you want! Research, rumors, ancient legends...and if/when you are high enough level to craft your own...actually getting out to find the materials. Everything shouldn't be down at "Mortimer's Magic Emporium-orium-orium! Flash for cash, guaranteed! If it's not Mortimer's, it just ain't magic."

I am all for magic items returning to that magical feel.

And yes, some might have "AMAAAAAzING COSMIC POWER!!!!" and some might be [metaphorically] "teeeeeeny tiny living space." Another thing that it is up to the DM of their particular group to..."police" is not the right term...but adjudicate, I suppose.

Why begrudge the character who got the girdle of giant strength? Get some cool stuff of your own. "He has a 24 strength and I don't" is just whining to my ears. It's not about "balance." It's about being jealous...and, <duck and cover for the onslaught> being childish. It's a game, a game of magical heroes in a magical heroes' world.

They should be rare. They should not amount to the defining qualities of a character. But nor should they be something that you can duplicate by talking ABZ feats or just going up in level. Nor should they be something that, if they get taken away/stolen/lost/used up...the character just becomes "nothing."

I dunno where I'm going exactly with this...but yes, make magic items feel magical again.

Have fun and happy gaming.
--Steel Dragons

And remember when you got caught without your items and it was so totally lame we couldn't hear your crying over the bad guys' laughter? A DM still has the ability to create any items he wants, but in general I think that the Nerfing of magical items was one of the best changes made ot the game.

Don't make magic items expected or required gear and the problem is solved.

drothgery

First Post
Don't make magic items expected or required gear and the problem is solved.
Only if magic items are far less common than they've been in any edition of D&D, ever (save for Dark Sun and house-ruled low-magic item games). Which would be a game far more 'not D&D' to me than one that ditched, say, Vancian casting.

harlokin

First Post
I couldn't agree less with the OP.

The focus should be on the character's abilities, not a generic Belt of Giant Strength which doubles his strength.

No creatures should require a spoon of +1 to hurt it.

I want magic items to be rare, named, with histories (akin to artefacts).

Remove ads