Podcast #225: What We Would Change in Dragonlance

This week, Morrus, Peter, and Jessica talk about what they’d change in the Dragonlance setting. In the news, more Dragonlance previews, new Dungeons & Dragons toys announced, the original Forgotten Realms map found, CY_BORG hardcover release, and more! Plus a brand new sketch about a party member’s disappointing performance. Subscribe on iTunes | Google Play | YouTube | TuneIn | Stitcher |...

Status
Not open for further replies.
This week, Morrus, Peter, and Jessica talk about what they’d change in the Dragonlance setting. In the news, more Dragonlance previews, new Dungeons & Dragons toys announced, the original Forgotten Realms map found, CY_BORG hardcover release, and more! Plus a brand new sketch about a party member’s disappointing performance.

DragonlanceLordSothTheDarthVaderofDeadGuys.png

Subscribe on iTunes | Google Play | YouTube | TuneIn | Stitcher | Blubrry | Podbean | Spotify | Android

This week, Morrus, Peter, and Jessica talk about what they’d change in the Dragonlance setting. In the news, more Dragonlance previews, new Dungeons & Dragons toys announced, the original Forgotten Realms map found, CY_BORG hardcover release, and more! Plus a brand new sketch about a party member’s disappointing performance.

--------------------

News

Peter will guest on a charity live stream on Sunday, November 6
Introducing Dragonlance’s Iconic – And Upgradedc! – Death Knight, Lord Soth! Dragonlance - Introducing Dragonlance's Iconic - And Upgraded! - Death Knight, Lord Soth!

Dragonlance: Solamnic Knights & Mages of High Sorcery Preview Dragonlance - Dragonlance: Solamnic Knights & Mages of High Sorcery Preview

Coverage of the posted-then-removed Wizards of the Coast video on the Flying Citadel Dragonlance - WotC Talks About Dragonlance's Flying Citadel

Dragonlance Creators Reveal Why There Are No Orcs on Krynn Dragonlance - Dragonlance Creators Reveal Why There Are No Orcs On Krynn

First Map of the Forgotten Realms D&D General - The First Map of the Forgotten Realms

News Digest for the Week of November 4 (Dicelings dice transformers, ESPN SportsCenter segment on D&D, Noble Knight Games refuses to voluntarily recognize employee union, Penguin Random House and Simon & Schuster Merger Blocked, CY_BORG hardcover announced) News Digest for the Week of November 4

Heroes Old and New from Roll Them Bones Gaming for Level Up: Advanced 5th Edition Heroes Old and New - Roll them Bones Gaming | DriveThruRPG.com

Cowboy Bebop The Roleplaying Game https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/manaprojectstudio/cowboy-bebop-the-roleplaying-game

Kids on Bikes 2nd Edition https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/huntersbooks/kids-on-bikes-second-edition

Pinebox Middle School & The Horror Companion Double Feature https://www.kickstarter.com/project...chool-and-the-horror-companion-double-feature

The Copy-editor’s Guide to Writing D&D by Danny Kodicek The Copy-editor's Guide to Writing D&D - Dungeon Masters Guild | Dungeon Masters Guild

Koriko: A Magical Year https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jhrrsn/koriko-a-magical-year

--------------------

What We’d Update About Dragonlance

Dragonlance: Shadow of the Dragon Queen Dragonlance: Shadow of the Dragon Queen (Dungeons & Dragons Adventure Book): Wizards RPG Team: 9780786968282: Amazon.com: Books

Dragons of Autumn Twilight: Dragonlance Chronicles Book 1 Amazon.com: Dragons of Autumn Twilight: Dragonlance: Chronicles, Book 1 (Audible Audio Edition): Margaret Weis, Paul Boehmer, Tracy Hickman, Audible Studios: Audible Books & Originals

--------------------

Please support us on Patreon at http://patreon.com/morrus

Don’t forget to join the Morrus’ Unofficial Tabletop RPG Talk Facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/1033145023517295/ and join us on Discord at https://discord.gg/VAuxX8M

Ask your Awfully Cheerful Question on Twitter using the hashtag #AwfullyCheerfulQuestion, email morruspodcast@gmail.com, or contact us on TikTok at TikTok

--------------------

Hosts: Russ “Morrus” Morrissey, Peter Coffey, and Jessica Hancock

Editing and post-production: Darryl Mott

Theme Song: Steve Arnott

Malach the Maleficent played by Darren Morrissey

Check out all the media content from EN World at http://enliverpg.com

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

Ixal

Hero
There’s a lot of reasons that a woman might be called Goldmoon besides her hair color. I know that’s the reason stated in the book, but it need not be so. I think you could leave the essential parts of the characters intact while giving them more of an authentic indigenous portrayal.
Why?
1. Authentic for which indigenious people? They are not one monolithic group
2. Why does she need to authentically represent a real world group instead of being a fantasy character with loose inspirations? I don't see you or other people complaining that the Knights are not authentic (Hospitaler? Teutons? Templar? Same problem as Nr. 1 here). And whenever "too much" reality comes up like economic models one of the first responses is thats its fantasy with dragons so it does not need to mirror reality. So why shouldn't Goldmoon come from a fantasy culture?

Last edited:

whimsychris123

Adventurer
Why?
1. Authentic for which indigenious people? They are not one monolithic group
2. Why does she need to authentically represent a real world group instead of being a fantasy character with loose inspirations? I don't see you or other people complaining that the Knights are not authentic (Hospitaler? Teutons? Templar? Same problem as Nr. 1 here). And whenever "too much" reality comes up like economic models one of the first responses is thats its fantasy with dragons so it does not need to mirror reality. So why shouldn't Goldmoon come from a fantasy culture?
1. In the context of the conversation, I'm talking about Native American tribes, specifically of the midwestern plains.
2. The main issue is that the characters are white. All the characters in old Dragonlance are basically white. Why not make one based on indigenous people of North America a more authentic skin color? Why make them white unless you are coming from a white-centric point of view? As for everything being fantasy, therefore, authenticity isn't important: Fantasy tropes are coming from somewhere. Are they based on stereotypical "Western" points of view of native tribes, or something more true to the culture? That's what's being asked. Like I said, I don't think you have to change that much, but I would start with making them less white.

Ixal

Hero
1. In the context of the conversation, I'm talking about Native American tribes, specifically of the midwestern plains.
2. The main issue is that the characters are white. All the characters in old Dragonlance are basically white. Why not make one based on indigenous people of North America a more authentic skin color? Why make them white unless you are coming from a white-centric point of view? As for everything being fantasy, therefore, authenticity isn't important: Fantasy tropes are coming from somewhere. Are they based on stereotypical "Western" points of view of native tribes, or something more true to the culture? That's what's being asked. Like I said, I don't think you have to change that much, but I would start with making them less white.
And why is she being white a problem? Why does her style of clothing need to be skin colour locked?
When you are ok with PoC characters wearing "Europan culture" clothes in fantasy settings and belonging to European inspired cultures, and I assume you are, then its also ok for a white character to belong to a indigenous inspired culture.

And in game the area where Goldmoon comes from is close to Solace, so there is no reason for her being different than for example Tika (no colonial history as far as I am aware).

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
And why is she being white a problem? Why does her style of clothing need to be skin colour locked?
When you are ok with PoC characters wearing "Europan culture" clothes in fantasy settings and belonging to European inspired cultures, and I assume you are, then its also ok for a white character to belong to a indigenous inspired culture.

And in game the area where Goldmoon comes from is close to Solace, so there is no reason for her being different than for example Tika (no colonial history as far as I am aware).
That’s an easy one to answer.

It’s about representation and appropriation of a minority culture.

Now, you might be one of those people who think those things don’t matter (or even stronger beliefs). But I do find it a stretch to believe that in 2022 people on the internet are unaware that that is the issue under discussion.

Ixal

Hero
That’s an easy one to answer.

It’s about representation and appropriation of a minority culture.

Now, you might be one of those people who think those things don’t matter (or even stronger beliefs). But I do find it a stretch to believe that in 2022 people on the internet are unaware that that is the issue under discussion.
Oh I am aware of it. I just do not agree with that some cultures being skin colour locked and deserve special treatment.
Either fantasy is free to reinvent their cultures, meaning white Native American inspired culture are equally valid as Asian victorian England inspired cultures, or fantasy has to be highly segregated with each culture must faithfully adhere to a real world culture with no room for creativity.
Not surprising, I prefer the former.
And no, I also do not believe in the common double standard that "white" cultures are up for grabs and no care has to be given to them while other cultures are not. The same rules apply to all of them.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Oh I am aware of it. I just do not agree with that some cultures being skin colour locked and deserve special treatment.
Either fantasy is free to reinvent their cultures, meaning white Native American inspired culture are equally valid as Asian victorian England inspired cultures, or fantasy has to be highly segregated with each culture must faithfully adhere to a real world culture with no room for creativity.
Not surprising, I prefer the former.
And no, I also do not believe in the common double standard that "white" cultures are up for grabs and no care has to be given to them while other cultures are not. The same rules apply to all of them.
Well there you go. And you know that others feel strongly otherwise. I don’t understand why you’re asking questions; you clearly understand the situation and which side of the issue you stand.

But I don’t think we’re going to turn this forum into a battleground for that same tired old argument yet again where people just repeat the same things over and over and sealion at each other, and as this exchange shows the thread has now reached that tedious and predictable stage, it’s time to close it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads