D&D 5E Point buy vs roll

Which method fo you use for generating ability scores?

• Point buy

• Roll

• Both

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Oofta

Legend
The size is pretty bad, but the sampling methodology wouldn't pass muster for peer review, either.
Yeah, polls here don't really tell us much. If nothing else there really should have been a "standard array" option because a lot of people who checked "other" seemed to do it because they use the standard array even if I would just consider that point buy. DndBeyond might have a clue based on their demographics, but even then it would probably have to be analysis based on the scores people have so it would be a bit suspect.

I wouldn't be surprised if next release puts rolling and point buy on equal footing and just says "ask your DM". In any case, I have my preference and even if someone is creating a couple dozen sock puppet accounts to skew the results it wouldn't change my mind.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah, polls here don't really tell us much. If nothing else there really should have been a "standard array" option because a lot of people who checked "other" seemed to do it because they use the standard array even if I would just consider that point buy. DndBeyond might have a clue based on their demographics, but even then it would probably have to be analysis based on the scores people have so it would be a bit suspect.

I wouldn't be surprised if next release puts rolling and point buy on equal footing and just says "ask your DM". In any case, I have my preference and even if someone is creating a couple dozen sock puppet accounts to skew the results it wouldn't change my mind.
I mean, that's the current situation, and I wouldn't expect any changes if they aren't changing any fundamental math (which appears to be the case).

If it ain't broke...

BrokenTwin

Biological Disaster
If I'm playing D&D 5E, standard array all the way. If the group wanted to roll, I'd probably do something like 2d6+4 instead of 3d6.

Hmm. I wonder what it would look like if you just had players roll 18d6 and arrange them into any grouping of 3 that they wanted? I have no idea how one would go about modeling that statistically, but it would probably be fun to do for a game.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Yeah, polls here don't really tell us much. If nothing else there really should have been a "standard array" option because a lot of people who checked "other" seemed to do it because they use the standard array even if I would just consider that point buy.
Since the threat title emphasized point buy vs. rolling, I just went with "Both", instead of "Other" even though we allow standard array as an option.

I, for one, don't consider standard array to be point buy. Although you can achieve the standard array with point buy, you could also roll up the standard array. The standard array also has a lower average (albeit barely) than your average point-buy sequence.

At any rate, I agree that if the poll wanted to include standard array, it should have had an option for it besides "Other". Of course, that might not be what they were looking for, perhaps just point buy vs. roll? 🤷‍♂️

Hmm. I wonder what it would look like if you just had players roll 18d6 and arrange them into any grouping of 3 that they wanted? I have no idea how one would go about modeling that statistically, but it would probably be fun to do for a game.
It would depend on how you wanted to assume people would use them.

Some people might maximum (best 3, next best 3, etc.) to get the highest scores (and lowest with worst 3) feasible.
Others might want balance to get some average 10's, but then the rest would be the highest scores possible.
And still others might group them to generate "even" scores, to get the best modifier totals since odd scores don't help.

Since you really don't know which approach a player would take, it would be impossible without making that part of the criteria. If you wanted to do that, then you could perform an analysis on it.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
If I'm playing D&D 5E, standard array all the way. If the group wanted to roll, I'd probably do something like 2d6+4 instead of 3d6.

Thank you for the distraction :)

If they dumped their low stats, the median on each of the lowest, next lowest, ... highest would be 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18.

There would be about a 60% chance of being able to get an 18, about a 6.5% chance of two 18s, and about a 1 in a 1,000 chance of having three 18s. (Similarly for the probability of having 1, 2, or 3 3s).

Remove ads