D&D 5E Point Buy vs Rolling for Stats

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Huh? It doesn't mention rolling for stats. It only give you options for rolling for general abilities, mannerisms, etc.

Which still doesn't say what any of this has to do with point buy vs rolling. One of the options is rolling for ability scores for NPCs if you really want. Or point buy. Or just don't bother with detailed ability scores.

Really? No mention of rolling stats?

Page 89: "You don't need to roll ability scores for the NPC...". Mentions rolling stats right there.

Oofta

Legend
Really? No mention of rolling stats?

Page 89: "You don't need to roll ability scores for the NPC...". Mentions rolling stats right there.

Where it says "You don't need to roll ability scores for the NPC"? You do know that "don't" is a contraction of "do not", right? As in
  • No, I do not have the entire book memorized, but that section is simply saying you only need a general idea of what someone's abilities are, which is what I've been saying for a while. So thanks for agreeing with me I guess?
  • You do not seem to understand that it means you do not roll.
  • I do not understand why you think that is something that supports your point of view.
  • You do not need to roll for abilities even if you decide to create a detailed character with classes and levels because you use whatever method you use to generate PCs including point buy or standard array?
  • We do not need to continue this conversation any more.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Where it says "You don't need to roll ability scores for the NPC"? You do know that "don't" is a contraction of "do not", right? As in No, I do not have the entire book memorized, but that section is simply saying you only need a general idea of what someone's abilities are, which is what I've been saying for a while. So thanks for agreeing with me I guess?
You do realize that "You do not need to do X" means "This is the way it's done, but you don't have to do it that way if you don't want to" right? Just because you don't need to do it, doesn't mean that you do not do that thing.

You do not seem to understand that it means you do not roll.
Probably because "do not need to roll" doesn't mean "do not roll". "Do not roll" means "Do not roll" and it doesn't say that. We've found your problem!

I do not understand why you think that is something that supports your point of view.

Because it does. It doesn't say or mean that you don't roll, only that you don't have to if you don't want to, which is completely different from what you are claiming.
We do not need to continue this conversation any more.

Perfect example! You do not need to continue the conversation, and yet you have for many pages. "Do no need" is not a directive not to do something, as you've demonstrated for quite some time now.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
duty_calls.png

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I know, I know. I need to stop feeding the troll. :blush:

Maybe this will help you understand.

You don't need to play D&D.

You don't need to shop at the grocery store.

You don't need a car.

You don't need a job.

Do you really think the fact that you don't need those things is you being told not to have or do them, or even that you shouldn't have or do them?

The statement that you don't need to roll is just letting you know that you don't have to roll stats. It's not a directive not to roll, nor is it even saying that you shouldn't roll.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Oofta said:
I know, I know. I need to stop feeding the troll.
How do you know you're not the troll?
side thought

On reading this it occurred me that - as written in most editions - groups of D&D Trolls almost never need to forage for food!

Why's that, you ask?

Because with their stupendous regeneration rates they can get by with nibbling on each other...

/side thought

Caliban

Rules Monkey
side thought

On reading this it occurred me that - as written in most editions - groups of D&D Trolls almost never need to forage for food!

Why's that, you ask?

Because with their stupendous regeneration rates they can get by with nibbling on each other...

/side thought

or the infamous "Troll Jerky" rations...

Remove ads