Polearm Build - Help

Bloodweaver1

First Post
I could use some advice on optimizing a polearm build I am putting together. The constrants I have to work are as follows:

Race: Dwarf
Level: 6
Core Classes only and must be able to enter the Kensia PrC (CW) by lvl 8, however feats can come from any WoTC book.

Thanks in advance!!

-Blood

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Before we continue, does your DM allow stuff from Dragon? (Despite not being WotC, Paizo's stuff in Dragon is "100% Official Content.")

If so, your first move it to pick up DCv1- its full of Polearm feats and polearms of all kinds.

Beyond that, you'll want some kind of way to deal with opponents that get within your reach area- usually meaning IUC or Armor Spikes. Using armor spikes spares you a feat, but depending on your build, IUC can be more effective (in other words, your PC takes levels of Monk or the 3.5 updated OA Shaman, so your unarmed attacks increase in potency with level advancement).

As I recall, there is a FR regional feat that allows you to get +5' reach with a polearm. There is a completely different but functionally identical one in DCv1.

The most recent version of a polearm-using PC had an ultra-high dex and Combat Reflexes, used a Bisento (Martial, 1d12 x2 slashing reach 10') from AEG's version of Rokugan/OA. Because of the particular build, Feats were at a premium, otherwise I would have chosen a GreatSpear, which adds being a ranged weapon to the mix.

pawsplay

Hero
Reach or no reach? Depending on what you're looking for, your weapon is probably a greatspear, halberd, or glaive. If you have reach, you definitely want Combat Reflexes and Hold the Line, and if you have a halberd, you definitely want Combat Expertise and Improved Trip.

Bloodweaver1

First Post
Dragon magazine is a 'no-go'.
There is a feat in PHBII called 'Short Haft' that allows you to attack those adjacent to you with a polearm via a swift action. I was thinking of a high dex with combat reflexes as well.
Now that I think about it, if AoO is going to be a large means of attacking, then Deft Opportunist would be a good investment. No? Other thoughts on the matter???

Thanks again!!

-Blood

FalcWP

Explorer
Go with a guisearme. Get a high dex, good strength, at least a 13 intelligence. Pick up Combat Reflexes, Combat Expertise, and Improved Trip.

Person moves through a square you threaten - you take an AoO and attempt to trip him. If you succeed, he's prone (-4 to melee AC) and you get a free attack. If he attempts to stand up, he provokes an AoO. Rinse and repeat.

As far as getting to be a Kensai by level 8:

You already have Combat Expertise. You need Weapon Focus, which can be easily gained by a level of fighter (I'd suggest 4 levels of fighter, though more is acceptable).

You need 5 ranks each in Concentration, Ride, and Diplomacy. Ride, obviously, is easy. Concentration and Diplomacy are cross-class skills for a Fighter. However, they are class skills for a Paladin.

My suggestion might be a Dwarven Fighter 4/Paladin 2. (You're actually eligible at Fighter 4/Paladin 1 or Fighter 3/Paladin 2, but Weapon Spec and Divine Grace are both really handy, so...) In addition to Combat Reflexes, Combat Expertise, and Improved Trip, add Short Haft, Weapon Focus (Guisearme) and Weapon Specialization (Guisearme). Bump your Charisma up as high as you can get it, for the bonus to saves. If you're willing to give up being a Dwarf (human is likely your next best bet, though an elf gets you +2 Dex), you can avoid the Charisma penalty, but it's entirely your call. Also notice that one of a dwarf's benefits, the ability to move full speed in heavy or medium armor, is likely to be negated by your high dex build. Note that if you did go with an Elf, you may want to go either Fighter 4/Paladin 3, or Paladin 3/Fighter 2, to avoid the multiclassing penalty.

Last edited:

pawsplay

Hero
A dwarf with a 12 Int (which you will have for Combat Expertise) can have 5 ranks in each of those skills as a 7th level fighter. Bumping Charisma seems like a wasted endeavor, and dwarves already have pretty good saves. Most of the time, you can just maneuver, but with a lot invested in a polearm, Short Haft isn't a bad investment.

82 points straight up?
Str 16, Dex 16, Con 18, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 8

Feats
1 Combat Expertise, Improved Trip
2 Combat Reflexes
3 Hold the Line
4 Weapon Focus (polearm with reach)
6 Short Haft, Weapon Specialization

From there, you can start taking things like Deft Opportunist, Robilar's Gambit, Improved Critical and so forth.

Skillwise, with a 13 Int, you'll have 5 ranks in Ride, Concentration, and Diplomacy, with 5 more ranks in Fighter skills to play around with.

In terms of gear, you might as well go with heavy armor. Your Dex isn't so high to make that a bad choice, even if you cap out your bonus. Until you get mithril, full plate or a breatplate are your best options.

Bloodweaver1

First Post
I kinda agree with the fighter/paladin combo for weapon spec and divine grace. Plus it allows one to get into the Kensai PrC one level quicker. Though I adimt that at first glance at the 2d4 for damage, I was a bit skeptical. However, I guess damage is not the main reason of this build. Its trips and AoO are. For stats, how this? Str: 18 - Dex: 14 - Con: 14 - Int: 13 - Wis: 10 - Cha: 14.
For gear I was given 8k: any suggestions?

Thanks for all the help

-Blood

Bloodweaver1

First Post
Going straight fighter at lvl 7 only gives me one more feat and gives me less ranks into concentration which helps with the 'Withstand' ability within the PrC. Granted the extra BaB is nice, but the difference seems nominal.. no?

7 fighter = 5 ranks
4/2 fig/pld = 7 ranks

-Blood

Remove ads