• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [Poll for the front page] Nominate your ONE favourite thing about D&D 5E

Status
Not open for further replies.

redrick

First Post
So many things to like! But since it hasn't been said yet:

Quick level 1-3 with subclasses separate from character creation.

(It's hard for me to articulate exactly, but I love that a new player can pick a class at level 1 but wait a level or two to worry about nailing down a concept.)

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
Adventure format.

I'm not sure how to say it, but I love the way the 5e adventures are presented and organized. Encounter descriptions are compact, succinct, yet packed with information. Something about the design of 5e allows this -- whether it is simplified, standardized monster stat blocks, or very flexible approach towards things like terrain hazards, saving throw DCs, etc., I am not sure. But somehow, 5e adventures are just put together in a way that is more "useful" than the previous two editions.

The adventures themselves are awesome, too, but you said I could only pick one thing, and to me the format is the more impressive thing.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
The 3 Pillars!

I had forgotten that it is a distinct thing. I like that the game is specifically written to support combat, interaction, and exploration. It gives direction to authors making new splats and adventures to ensure they have the latter 2.

Sezarious

Explorer
The stripping away of some higher level spells that were simply replaced with "expend a greater spell slot in the 1st level equivalent of the spell to get the same effect". This also means that 1st level spells can still be really amazing at 20th level if cast, with say a 9th level slot. This was a great streamlining mechanic in its own right.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Oops. I read the first paragraph (that you were collecting suggestions) and then got distracted by my son, walked away, then came back and assumed I'd read it all. I'll edit when I know my one favourite...

I couldn't select just one either. Too many have equal billing in my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads