• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

POLL: Furry Races

What kind of "Furry" PC race do you prefer?

• I like sentient animals.

Votes: 51 30.4%
  • I like anthropomorphic bipedal animal-men with definite species (like in Savage Species).

Votes: 75 44.6%
  • I like animal-men of indeterminate species (like in Eberron)

Votes: 44 26.2%
  • I like shapechangers with animal, hybrid, & fully manlike forms (like in Oriental Adventures).

Votes: 55 32.7%
  • I don't like any "furry" races.

Votes: 54 32.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 13 7.7%

The_Gneech

Explorer
Don't you know that furries are considered WrongBadFun by gamers? :p

(Unless you're John Kovalic, of course. Or me.)

Seriously tho, it depends on what's right for your setting. For something closer to standard fare fantasy, I'd recommend the lycanthrope idea, although if your game has an Egyptian feel, humans with animal heads not only fit, but evoke the setting particularly well ("Children of Bast" = catlike, "Children of Sobek" = lizardfolk, "Children of Horus" = hawklike, etc.).

-The Gneech :cool:

I dont like furrys because of the type of player they seem to attract.
Sentiant animals are ok and those humanoid/Animals that have a back story that fit the setting.

smootrk

First Post
I like some ani-men, but only the ones that are developed fully as alternate races...

Gnolls
Nezumi
Lizard Folk
Ibixian

Not generic races developed soley to placate lovers of animal/girl hybrids (looking at you Catfolk, of all the various incarnations).

geek.gif

I'm old enough to call anime "japanimation", so I sit a comfortable 2.5 geek levels above furries.

Thanks to http://jamillan.com/ for not blocking my hotlinking.

Wombat

First Post
I like the bipedal ani-humans...

BUT...

Only if they are animals first, humanoids second.

I don't like "people in fur suits" as characters -- I like races that are noticeably different in their attitudes, abilities (especially senses) and likes & dislikes.

The best version that I ever dealt with this was was a version of Arcana Unearthed that I ran where the players really understood that the litorians and sibeccai were not fuzzy people, but rather animals who had altered.

The difference is that between Omaha the Cat Dancer (yuk!) and the manimals of The Island of Dr. Moreau (book version -- yay!).

Klaus

First Post
smootrk said:
I like some ani-men, but only the ones that are developed fully as alternate races...

Gnolls
Nezumi
Lizard Folk
Ibixian

Not generic races developed soley to placate lovers of animal/girl hybrids (looking at you Catfolk, of all the various incarnations).
This is why the best cat-like race in D&D were the Rakasta, with their samurai-like culture. Or my own Kathos, with their mongol-like culture.

The_Gneech

Explorer
Deset Gled said:
I'm old enough to call anime "japanimation", so I sit a comfortable 2.5 geek levels above furries.

Thanks to http://jamillan.com/ for not blocking my hotlinking.

What so few people seem to notice about that chart, is that the hierarchical arrows on "furries" point in both directions!

Seems to me it would be clearer if it was rotated 90°.

-The Gneech :cool:

Danny,
Normally furries aren't on my list of things that make me happy... but since you asked, there are enough furry type races (as mentioned previously) that you should be able to fit them in quite nicely. If you don't have the Oriental Adventures book, you might want to get it. The Nezumi (Rats), Vanara (Monkey) and Hengeyokai (shape shifters) area already stated out, so basically, don't reinvent the wheel. :D
Rock on brother.

Kaodi

Hero
I gots nothin' against them thar furries.

I like shifters, though it would not have occurred to me to call them furries. Furries generally refers to anthropomorphic humanoids based on some animal or another...

frankthedm

First Post
Furry to be furry has no place at my table. Degenerate mockeries of man and wicked elder races utterly divorced from humanity are fine however.

Gnolls, warhammer Beastmen and evil lycanthropes are fine foes that should be slaughtered for the world to be a better place.

Lizards and snake men with cold reptilian minds and occasional allegiances to Evil Powers are perfectly acceptable.

An evil fox shape shifter disguised as an innkeeper to cause misery is cool.

An anthropomorphic fox running the inn is NOT cool.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads