• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

POLL: Furry Races

What kind of "Furry" PC race do you prefer?

• I like sentient animals.

Votes: 51 30.4%
  • I like anthropomorphic bipedal animal-men with definite species (like in Savage Species).

Votes: 75 44.6%
  • I like animal-men of indeterminate species (like in Eberron)

Votes: 44 26.2%
  • I like shapechangers with animal, hybrid, & fully manlike forms (like in Oriental Adventures).

Votes: 55 32.7%
  • I don't like any "furry" races.

Votes: 54 32.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 13 7.7%

Klaus

First Post
GreatLemur said:
I had to choose "other", because my position on the matter is full of ifs and excepts. For the most part, I'm kind of against "animal people" because they're just kinda dumb and bland (as are elves and dwarves, really). But, at the same time, I've got to confess a weakness for lizardfolk. I just kinda dig the whole reptile people angle, as long as they're not going to be presented as anthropomorphic iguanas or something. They've gotta be their own thing, no more lizards than humans are monkeys.

Also, there is nothing that makes a new arrival to the House Rules forum stand out as a somebody to be scorned faster than a "Check out my cat-people race! PEACH" thread*.

But when it really comes down to it, I don't violently dislike "furry" characters so much as furry players. I'm aware that there are sane furries out there, but their ratio to the completely intolerable furries is not a favorable one. My primary objection to playable animal people would simply be the danger of attracting more irredeemable nutjobs to D&D.

Ha. I know your campaign has cultists who turn themselves into gnolls. :)

* "They have +2 to Dex and Cha, claws that do 1d6 damage, and are always Chaotic Good. They are somewhat flighty and always curious. The females of their race rarely wear clothing."
Hey! I posted my cat-people in the House Rules forum!

;)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The background to why I'm asking this question is this:

One aspect of my homebrew WIP is an island where a Druid Awakened 3 Aspen (as per post #41 here: http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=102706&page=2&pp=40) who took up the study of the druidic way. After the druid was killed, per their mentor, the Aspen in turn Awakened other trees, forming The Green Council, and creatures on the island as their followers.

Then (as inspired by Lords of Madness & When the Sky Falls), Illithids caused an extinction level event (ELE) to hasten the day when Flayerkind would rule the Universe. Most surface life bigger than Large was wiped out, and surface civilization is in ruins. Subterranean life & civilization- especially Illithids- fared somewhat better. Much time has passed since the initial ELE, but lesser versions of the disaster reoccur periodically, stunting the resurgence of surface life and civilization.

The Green Council their Awakened followers are the main proponents of the druidic way, and their "kind" are among the few survivors of the ELE. As such, they are also one of the few "civilizing" forces on the surface world.

So I'm trying to determine (via this poll) what kind of critters would likely be best recieved by my players- simple awakened creatures, anthropomorphs, etc.

The Goblin King

First Post
I checked every box but the hate one. I'm going to Furry Hell arn't I?

Although I must admit that I do prefer worlds that are all furry species as opposed to mixing them in with traditional fantasy races.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
GreatLemur said:
It's true. I deliberately populate my world with furries that can be killed freely, without any ethical questions or "orc baby" issues.

They die in fireballs, and the world is a better place.

Cheers, -- N

Gez

First Post
GreatLemur said:

* "They have +2 to Dex and Cha, claws that do 1d6 damage, and are always Chaotic Good. They are somewhat flighty and always curious. The females of their race rarely wear clothing."
I'm learning more about Nifft's campaign than I would ever want to. :eek:

:p

I'm okay with them all because none of the players in my group is a furry adept. So it's all cool. It's not so much the fantasy race as the people behind it...

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Gez said:
I'm learning more about Nifft's campaign than I would ever want to. :eek:
I'm sure you know already, but that second part you quoted was a footnote to something completely different.

Gez said:
It's not so much the fantasy race as the people behind it...
I wonder how much they have in common with Drow fans.

In other words, I wonder if it's the fetishism that annoys us, or the muchkinism.

Cheers, -- N

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads