D&D General Poll: Have You Lost a Character to Ghouls.

Have You Lost a Character to Ghouls.

• Yes

Votes: 25 30.5%
  • No

Votes: 33 40.2%
  • Yes, but I got better

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • No, but a ghoul killed a character while I was DMing.

Votes: 22 26.8%

Len

Prodigal Member
Not me, but a couple of party-mates. None of them came back undead, sadly.

Savage Worlds / Shadowrun campaign: Ghouls were throwing grenades at us. A PC tried to throw one back but it blew up in his hand. We had to flee, leaving his body behind. Does that count?

Pathfinder 1: A PC was killed by a giant ghast golem. We were able to raise her before she became undead. Close enough?

DwarfHammer

Explorer
I loved the fear of death of fighting such deadly creatures like ghouls pre 3.x. The only reason I hated energy drain was the book keeping at higher levels. I think that is why I am playing COC in addition to d&d 5E right now. The fear of death in BRP games from a single roll just do it for me and my group at the moment. Talk about players that really do anything possible to avoid combat and enter it only when necessary and really try to optimize it if they have to go in. There is no casually jumping in Combat sloppily because someone is a hothead.

Ghouls did killed a few PCs over the years in my game. Even in 5ed they're still dangerous. The saving throw might be a little low (12 would have been just fine in my book, but the game's the game). A ghoul will definitely attack and try to kill a player that is paralyzed. That alone is a threat not to be ignored. In fact, it is enough for my players to take an action to move the paralyzed character away from the other ghouls if it can be done.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Yeah, they dumbed down a few monsters more than I'd like in D&D, though the 3.5 version = nasty. Still, if properly run, the first time one of those ghouls in a pack managed to paralyze someone (solid chance with low level characters), I'd be having them all turn on that character. 2 hits when down to 0hp is autokill. There's no logical reason they'd be stupid or forget their eternal hunger to be "fair."
Not only is it logical, it’s the kinder option. Maybe not for the PC they eat, but if you do have your ghouls ignore paralyzed PCs in favor of attacking active ones, a TPK becomes significantly more likely. I speak from experience.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Not only is it logical, it’s the kinder option. Maybe not for the PC they eat, but if you do have your ghouls ignore paralyzed PCs in favor of attacking active ones, a TPK becomes significantly more likely. I speak from experience.

It's not only how paralysis changed & coup de gras got removed but also the difference of -5v rs
-anything but maxhp+1 then fail 3 death saves before someone does healing word or something swung the dial over to supermanesque leels of durability.

Remove ads