[Poll] Weapon style used by your Fighters ?

Your Fighters fighting style ?

• Weapon & Shield

Votes: 58 40.8%
  • One Big Weapon (2-hand)

Votes: 60 42.3%
  • Double Weapon

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • 2 Weapons

Votes: 23 16.2%
  • Reach Weapon

Votes: 19 13.4%
  • Archer / Missiles

Votes: 33 23.2%
  • 1 Weapon only (1 free hand)

Votes: 12 8.5%
  • Unarmed / Gauntlet

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Whip

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • What´s a weapon for ?

Votes: 2 1.4%

A2Z

Explorer
I picked double weapon because I like the idea of someone fighting with a bladed quarterstaff type weapon. What is the name of the japaese weapon like that? Is it the naginata?

[Edit: Spelling]

Last edited:

med stud

First Post
A2Z said:
I picked double weapon because I like the idea of someone fighting with a bladed quarterstaff type weapon. What is the name of the japaese weapon like that? Is it the naginata?

[Edit: Spelling]

I think you are thinking of a lajatang. Naginata = glaive

Well, in my group we have the typical longsword-shield warrior, who sometimes switches over to his brilliant energy great-axe.

But the crowning glory is one of my villains. She wields a rapier in her off hand, and a whip-dagger in her good hand. As a 20th level fighter (well, she has some levels of lasher and duelist too), she can get 8 attacks per round.

Kichwas

Half-breed, still living despite WotC racism
I'm playing a Sovereign Stone Archer.
Which is a lot like a fighter who's had all her bonus feats chosen for her ahead of time. Lost some BaB and dropped one die size but gained one or two tricks along the way.

I really enjoy the combination. Ranged combat is highly effective; as it should be, when you make the right choices.

At level 1 my PC had
point blank shot
precise shot
rapid shot
and a class ability that gives her +2 to hit with a longbow +1 more every 5 levels.

I follow the group from a distance and shoot down anyone who gets too close. Considering I'm at +4 to hit anyone within 100 feet twice in a round it's rather effective. :D +2 to get them while they're still in the first 200 feet.

Even underground it's proven very effective with proper positioning on my part.

I've only ever had to draw out my short sword once when facing an animated torch immune to piercing damage or something...

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Regdar-style, mostly (i.e., big two-handed weapons) but then, we don't have many fighters (or barbarians, rangers, paladins, etc.)... :p

Jack Haggerty

First Post
The last fighter I played used multiple styles...

He carried a bastard sword, a longspear, a mighty comp. longbow and a buckler.

He always wore the buckler, and so never had to ready it when switching from 1-hand to 2-hands.

He'd use the longspear for reach and to set against charges. When the enemy closed, he dropped it, and drew his bastard sword for toe to toe combat... Either two handed for extra damage, or one handed for extra defense with the buckler. The bow and arrows were the stand by for ranged attacks (usually if the enemy was retreating).

At 6th level, when he got multipple attacks, I picked up Quick Draw, so he could swap weapons in the middle of a full attack. Kill one kobold with the bastard sword, sheath it and shoot an arrow at the evil sorcerer, then pull out the longspear in case an AoO presents itself.

He was quite a versatile character, combat-wise.

Acmite

First Post
I have a Cleric/Fighter in Cor Azer's email game who uses a bastard sword and spiked shield.

I eventually plan on duel-wielding them (right now I use whatever is easiest, which is generally just the bastard sword 1-handed), but I'm focussing on gaining all the shield feats first (Improved Shield Bash, Shield Expert, etc)

trimeulose

First Post
A good favorite of mine (though never used) is a monk that takes the feat eagle claw attack. After using sunder to get rid of an opponents weapons (and armor pieces if nesscessary), Monks tend to have the advantage :D .

Ussually I wind up making a character that uses either a mercurial longsword or a mercurial greatsword. I keep the fighters off of our sniper. The sniper generally dishes out enough damage to take out the mages on the other side (or other snipers) and the mage uses area effects to attack the guys surrounding me. I generally have a lot of hp (and a ring of evasion just in case). I also favor blinking while I attack (ghost touched weapons are your friends).

Remove ads