D&D 5E Poll: What adventures would you want officially updated for 5E

What modules would you want officially adapted to 5E?

• A Paladin in Hell

Votes: 9 8.3%
  • A1-A4: Scourge of the Slave Lords

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • Age of Worms

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • X2: Castle Amber

Votes: 14 12.8%
  • D1-D3: Descent into the Depths of the Earth

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • I3-I5: Desert of Desolation

Votes: 33 30.3%
  • Gorgoldand's Gauntlet

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • B5: Horror on the Hill

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • X1: The Isle of Dread

Votes: 14 12.8%
  • B2: The Keep on the Borderlands

• Keep on the Shadowfell

• Kill Bargle

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Kingdom of the Ghouls

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • L1-L3: The Secret of Bone Hill, the Assassin's Knot, Deep Dwarven Delve

Votes: 15 13.8%
  • Labyrinth of Madness

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • N1: Against the Cult of the Reptile God

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Night Below

Votes: 27 24.8%
  • Q1: Queen of the Demonweb Pits

Votes: 22 20.2%
  • Rahasia

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • Red Hand of Doom

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • Shackled City

Votes: 13 11.9%
  • The Awakening

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • WG4: The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun

Votes: 16 14.7%
  • I10: The House on Gryphon Hill

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • S4: The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth

Votes: 20 18.3%
  • The Shattered Circle

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • UK2-UK3: The Sentinel, The Gauntlet

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • Savage Tides

Votes: 8 7.3%

I voted for the Shackled City. Just a great all around campaign.
Other than that I'd love Age of Worms because of the Greyhawk feel. I'm not worried about a Paizo feel to it as they feel Dungeon magazine-like (for lack of a better term) more than anything, and that always feels like D&D to me. Besides, Kyuss screams Greyhawk which cements it as D&D.

There were some phenomenal freelance writers back then too like Tito Leati, etc. Current 5e campaign books are not written nearly as well with the exception of Chris Perkins' work. I'm a fan of Strahd and Tomb, the rest needs heavy modification. I'm currently prepping Phandelver cut to level 3 into Princes of the Apocalypse for my normally Pathfinder crew because of the ToEE nostalgia and PC choices. It's been hell to organize the latter and I needed to add more into the story as usual. Should be fun regardless.

GuyBoy

Hero
All this talk of 50th Anniversary is sending my nostalgia-counter whizzing. My single favourite would be an update of the Night Below, closely followed by running D1-3 and Demonweb pits, perhaps as an anthology following the update of G1-3 in Yawning Portal.
The “two Ts” of Tsojcanth and Tharizdun would be pretty cool.

GuyBoy

Hero
One that's not on the list - the original Dragonlance War of the Lance modules, collected into an AP.
I respect your view, though it caused me to reflect just how much one bad DM can impact one’s perception of a module; I played through this with the most appallingly railroading DM ever. He was almost religious in his attitude towards DL, and any attempt by us to deviate at all from the plan was met either by anger on his part or by hurling huge groups of monsters at us to force us along his railroad. The most extreme case was 50 minotaurs who blocked a road that we were taking so we went the other way.

It was the most bizarre zealotry I have ever experienced, and I’m always pretty tolerant of a degree of DM direction, seeing it as part of the “contract” of being part of a campaign.

It was a shame because the group of players were actually fun to be with, and it certainly left me with a bad taste for anything Dragonlance.

I respect your view, though it caused me to reflect just how much one bad DM can impact one’s perception of a module; I played through this with the most appallingly railroading DM ever. He was almost religious in his attitude towards DL, and any attempt by us to deviate at all from the plan was met either by anger on his part or by hurling huge groups of monsters at us to force us along his railroad. The most extreme case was 50 minotaurs who blocked a road that we were taking so we went the other way.

It was the most bizarre zealotry I have ever experienced, and I’m always pretty tolerant of a degree of DM direction, seeing it as part of the “contract” of being part of a campaign.

It was a shame because the group of players were actually fun to be with, and it certainly left me with a bad taste for anything Dragonlance.
I'm pretty sure the original DL modules WERE very railroady, but I'm not sure if they were quite so blatant about it as that! But yeah, you're right - there's no module so good that a bad GM (or a bad group) can't spoil it...

Lyxen

Great Old One

Same sort of experience for me. The DM was not that railroady (but the modules were), but he insisted that we roleplay the characters as in the novels, which we were not allowed to read, so it was a bit complicated...

Moreover, honestly, the modules are really poorly designed. The dungeons are enormous and lack variety, the monsters are almost always the same, and encounters are very badly designed (the black dragon at the end of the first module is sure to kill multiple party members, there is no reason for him not to do so).

After that, the mandatory switching of characters, some of which were not as interesting or balanced (I loved Laurana and was happy to play her, but technically she could not do anything properly), to follow the arbitrary path of the novels, was indeed extremely railroady and not that interesting.

What made DL stand off at the time was certainly not the adventure design, it was the fact that it was one of the first huge Adventure Path, sustained by an overall very cool and mysterious story, great characters, and above all incredible art.

And after the War of the Lance, honestly, the setting is not that interesting, which is why I don't understand why it's still such a favourite. Is it really from people who have played through it ? Or people who read the huge production of books (most of them really badly written, honestly) ? Anyway, I can't relate to the appeal, can some of the fans explain why it's such a good setting for them ?

Weiley31

Legend
Well a number of them, like Castle Amber and Isle of Dread, have already been updated by Goodman Games. Their most recent 5E update conversion, Temple of Elemental Evil, is their most recently released one. So your covered there with the ones done by them. Kingdom of Ghouls was also done by Kobold Press for 5E as well.

Of the ones not done by either WoTC or Goodman Games, I want the Drow Series(D1-D30) and City of the Spider-Queen.

I wouldn't mind A Paladin in Hell but that's because I want to have an excuse to have a Paladin MC traveling the Hells, ala Kenshiro from Fist of The Norse Star, with his mount replaced by a customized/souped up Infernal Machine(modified to run on Demon/Devil souls instead of the Soul Coins) while solving problems and having complicated moments with his succubus girlfriend. (who may or not be an ex.)

two from planescape:

Tales From the Infinite Staircase: modular planar adventures connected by a staircase

Dead Gods/Great Modron March: the original adventures are pretty linear/railroads, but had a bunch of neat ideas and were great for plane-hopping. The premise of Dead Gods could be used for an astral-plane centric sandbox with forays into various outer planes

GuyBoy

Hero
The D series with Spider Queen would be great, as @Weiley31 states. I’d marginally prefer Night Below, if only for the wonderful adventures in Haranshire that leads into the Underdark stuff.

I can't speak for the full series, but I recently re-read the very first module, and it's less railroady than I remembered. It's essentially a small sandbox with timed events in the beginning. That being said, it really steers you to use the pregens, and while it gives you the option to play using your own characters, doesn't do as good a job as guiding the DM if you go that route.

I'm pretty sure the original DL modules WERE very railroady, but I'm not sure if they were quite so blatant about it as that! But yeah, you're right - there's no module so good that a bad GM (or a bad group) can't spoil it...

Remove ads