D&D 5E (Poll) Which base class' mechanics invoke its archetype the best?

Which class has mechanics that best invoke that archetypes flavor?

• Barbarian

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Bard

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Cleric

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Druid

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Fighter

• Monk

• Paladin

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Ranger

• Rogue

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Sorcerer

• Warlock

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Wizard

Votes: 3 10.3%

• Poll closed .

Stalker0

Legend
Ignoring power for a moment, which base class has a mechanic package that really helps you "feel" the archetype, incentives you to roleplay as that class?

For me, its likely the barbarian. Its been interesting to watch my players when they play that class. My most timid cautious players suddenly become screaming cannonballs of doom, rushing laughing into danger, ripping apart monsters in melee, its been a real joy to see. That class just incentives that style so well, and players seem to natural gravitate to that immediately when they start playing the class.

Even before reading the original post my head went right to Barbarian. Basically all the core features range from on theme to incredibly on theme and (other than losing your rage sometimes not making sense) don't feel overly gamey.

I think it is worth mentioning that "base class mechanics" are a lot more important to the characters of some classes than others. Especially if you consider the class spell list to be something separate from base mechanics.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
That’s tough. Barbarian sure, but just as much Ranger, Monk, Paladin, Druid, Rogue, nearly as much the Cleric Warlock and Sorcerer.

All the 5e classes do it very well.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I went with druid, specifically moon. Once you ignore "FR's Mielikki sez metal armor bad" it does a remarkably good job as an flexible animalistic gap filler I've seen quite a few moon druids do animalistic things ovr the years

Paladin is the best designed class in the game for story creating. Lots of little tools and whistles to bring the fantasy to life and to recontexualize it through other lens. Also, despite its power, probably top 3 best designed classes.

Remove ads