• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[POLL] Which Xanathar's Guide Cover Do You Prefer?

I think it's awesome. It really pops out at you. IMHO it's better than JACP (Just Another Cover Pic).

I think it's awesome. It really pops out at you. IMHO it's better than JACP (Just Another Cover Pic).

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
Initially I liked the standard better but I've come around to the collector's. The fact that I pre-ordered the collector's on day 1 and that it's now only a few days away from being picked up is probably heavily influencing this decision though.

In fact, when I have the spare change, I'll probably pick up the standard edition as well because I like the cover and want to keep the collector's one in pristine condition.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I have the special edition version on preorder at my FLGS, entirely for the collectibility factor. I VASTLY prefer the art on the standard edition.

Spookyboots

Explorer
I really like them both. It's nice to have a companion piece for Volo's SE. I'll be placing my SE Xanathar's next to Volo's on the shelf and will be carrying the standard edition to my table. Beer will not be spilled on my special edition book, haha.

Yaarel

He-Mage
Definitely standard cover. I like Fantasy art. Don't like abstract art so much (or how you call it).

I love abstract art.

Yet for a fantasy game (or a comic book), it is important to visualize what that world is like, and I strongly prefer the art to be as realistic as possible, especially if it is magical and otherworldly.

One of my favorite D&D artists is Michael Komarck. While having an excellent sense of color and composition, his work is hyperrealistic ... of things like a Githyanki. How did he get a photo of a Githyanki? Sometimes I cant believe my eyes. It conveys a sense of a vivid world.

Another favorite is Jason Engel. His work is more stylized. His fields of color are gemmy. The visual abstraction conveys a mood, while still portraying a realistic presentation of what the world looks like.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
The special cover is cool but that piece of art on the standard cover is *very* strong - that may be one of the best cover published so far!

Yaarel

He-Mage
An other favorite is Teresa Nielsen. Her work is highly iconographic. It reminds me of a fusion of stainedglass church windows and tarot cards. It is possible to play with abstract aspects an image while still presenting a realistic portrait.

briggart

Adventurer
The special cover is cool but that piece of art on the standard cover is *very* strong - that may be one of the best cover published so far!

I do prefer the variant cover, but I agree that the regular version is one of the best covers we had so far. With Volo's for me there was no doubt in getting the variant cover, this time I had an harder time deciding.

Remove ads

Remove ads