• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Polyhedron - Shadow Chasers

Lizard

Explorer
I liked the highly stylized, very 2-D, art. The "graffitti beholder" was very cool...that image alone could inspire an entire major story arc, as the PCs begin dealing with what seems to be a normal turf war, but which keeps getting stranger and stranger until they meet the source of it all in a final climactic battle.

Bran Blackbyrd

Explorer
Sir Osis of Liver said:
You guys are pretty harsh on the art, personnaly i think Jim Mahfood's(that would be"the cover artist guy") underground, indie, style fit well with the concept for the game. I thought all the art was great. I would love to see more good comic artists get to show cases thier work in polyhedron, especially somebody like Brett Booth, or really any other big name comic artists.

I'm with you. Just because someone doesn't like the style, does not mean that it is "bad art". A lot of people don't care for Mignola's style, but that didn't stop Disney from asking him to help with Atlantis.
If you have to complain, say you don't care for it, or that you didn't think the art appropriately complimented the flavor of the subject matter, but please try to be polite. A lot of industry people view these boards and I'm sure some of them come away feeling hurt at the insults.
You can try to have a thick skin and rationalize that it's just some netizens shooting their mouths off because of the relative anonymity the web gives them, but at the end of the day the insults probably still sting.
Just stomping all over someone's work because it didn't suit your mood is not helpful, and it certainly isn't very nice.

Erik Mona

Adventurer
>>>
The system seems okay, but the art was so crappy for the most part, that I was completely turned off. I was not excited in the slightest. It was like horrible comic book art gone awry. While the name shadowchasers was cool, either have decent (read decent, not necessarily awesome) art or expect to lose sales. Surely that is obvious.
>>>

I knew that art would be challenging to people, but since the game was a step removed from "normal" D&D, I decided it needed really special art to help sell it. You can't really publish a game that's such a clone of a silly property without bringing some levity to the art. For all those folks who would have preferred Wayne Renolds drawing business men covered in blood holding huge greatswords, sorry. There are plenty of places to get that sort of art. Shadowchasers isn't one of them.

As an aside, it's been a delight to see the response to the art in this game (most of it has been very positive). We'll continue to populate Polyhedron with fresh images that make you work a little harder than the regular stable of D&D artists.

--Erik Mona
Editor, Polyhedron

Erik Mona

Adventurer
>>>
That wasn't a 'vampire playboy'.......that was a wight. A pimp wight......and that's the joke. It case you didn't get it, let me spell it out.......

It's a BLACK wight!
>>>

It's actually a githyanki dressed as Tyler Durden.

Seriously.

--Erik

Agamon

Adventurer
I liked the art, I thought it fit the game well. I'm looking forward to d20 Modern...well, I hope it comes out.

Speaking of which, Erik, I hope you made your Reflex save against the chopping axe (by the looks of things, it looks like its a pretty high DC...)

Psychotic Dreamer

First Post
I must say that Shadow Chasers sounds very interesting. This is one of those many times I have being unemployed. My subscription to Dungeon ran out the issue before this one. Oh well lifes tough.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads