• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Polymorph - Gone?!?

Kishin

First Post
GreyWanderer said:
I heard that polymorph (and other shapechange spells) are gone - any info?!?

Yup. All gone, from what I've seen through folks.

Blessedly so, Polymorph was incredibly broken.

Zimri

First Post
For now. if I recall correctly it will be making a comeback (very heavily revamped) in the book that gives us druids.

Samurai

Adventurer
Not entirely gone... the Warlock has several powers with the Polymorph descriptor, including Shadow Form, Wings of the Fiend, and Shroud of Black Steel. However, each has just 1 specific effect, you can't change into anything you want.

Tenebras

First Post
And good riddance.

----

The Races and Classes preview book has a short bit at the end about druids. It seemed to indicate that druids will be more focused in their role as "nature-y people who turn into animals and then kill you but good." The impression that I got was that there would be powers that allowed you to turn into specific creatures. So, for instance, you might have a power that lets you become a hawk and another power that lets you become a bear or a wolf or what have you.

My hope is that there is a generic "turn into a melee animal" power that lets you do exactly that. What you actually look like is flavor and generated by the player. That way you don't have to drag out the Monster Manual every time you want to use your class powers. Also, when they publish new books it doesn't make the druid that much more powerful. (War Troll?)

ptolemy18

First Post
GreyWanderer said:
I heard that polymorph (and other shapechange spells) are gone - any info?!?

That completely sucks.

I gather that summoning is also much restricted. There goes my two favorite character types. :/ It's not about brokenness -- it's about AWESOMENESS.

Well, hopefully they'll create a Conjurer class in some unspecified future Player's Handbook, after the Druid.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Aeolius said:
So night hags have no means to alter their appearance, in 4e?
I believe there's a "change shape" polymorph power that hags, doppelgangers, etc. have. I don't think it's like the "I polymorph into an ogre" ability of 3e, but it disguises them.

Remove ads