• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) possible way of fixing carrying capacity

I agree that tracking things like this is not much fun, but it's also not much fun to hamper our ability to play in adventures where tracking this stuff is significant. I think most of the time this stuff could be generally ignored, but it would be nice to be able to quickly track it when it becomes significant.

Quite voluntarily, I always divide my character's equipment into three locations: Pack, Pouch(es), and stuff that is Worn* on the body. It never comes into play, it's just something I like to do; however, I always thought it could be the basis for some kind of rule or system of rules**.

For instance, the Pack represents stuff that is packed away and is thus less accessible. Perhaps we use the Use an Object action to retrieve something from it***. Pack would be a game term that could be a backpack, a satchel, a large sack over the shoulder (which would also require a Hand), or anything that you pack things away in. Things in the Pack are harder to steal and impose disadvantage on Sleight of Hand checks.

The Pouch or Pouches are readily accessible so don't require the Use an Object action and the same goes for stuff that is Worn, but these things are more vulnerable to theft. Pouch would be another game term that encompasses belt pouches, purses (as in the kind with strings), pockets, or anything that is convenient for the character to access (as well as the pickpockets).

Things that are Worn are much like the things in the Pouch, but things can only be Worn if they're designed to be worn. The Pouch gives us the ability to "wear" things that are not designed to be worn, like potions and money.

This would give us the incentive to think more about our encumbrance, and would help support the Exploration Pillar in a more meaningful way.

*Is there a P-word for "worn"?
**Although, I think more rules tend to limit gameplay (yet, arguing over rulings tends to muddle gameplay).
***I get the impression from reading Heward's Handy Haversack that this is actually what is intended, but I don't know--do you?

I think 5e as-written handles this fine. 15x strength is a simple baseline for those who don’t want to have to worry about it unless someone tries carrying an absurd amount of stuff (which I would argue is most groups).

Yeah, my experience has been that it really isn't that hard to hit the limit on carrying capacity, even if you are trying to maintain some semblence of suspension of disbelief. It was even worse in 3e, where the rulebook had a statement that always bugged me due to its blatant misrepresentation: "Unless your character is weak or carrying a lot of gear, that’s all you need to know. The extra gear your character carries, such as weapons and rope, won’t slow your character down any more than his or her armor already does."

It would be more accurate to say, "Unless you character is strong, or you don't like to carry much gear, the weight you're carrying is likely to slow you down more than your armor does."

Rogues are the ones that always run into it, just from carrying things they should have, like caltrops, ball bearing, rope, a crowbar, a few daggers hidden on their person, etc. It wasn't hard to encumber yourself in 3e. In 5e it's harder, but it still happens. Characters that fight with Strength aren't going to have a problem, but 5e rewards Dex over Str, and that's where carrying capacity can come in.

jgsugden

Legend
This is an area where less is more.

I typically introduce a bag of holding, portable hole, or other method by which PCs can transport a large amount of 'non-combat' materials with trivial ease at 3rd level or lower. I want the players to be able to focus on the story, not the accounting for weight.

How many fantasy novels have you read where they spend an exciting chapter redistributing the weights of their backpacks, deciding if they still need to carry a crowbar, or whether they need to bring their fuzzy boots on a trek into a forest in September?

I apprecite that this book is an attempt to add complexity, but figuring out how and what to pack in excrutiating detail is... excrutiating.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
@vincegetorix I tried the same for a ravenloft game but there were so many ways around it like leomund's secret chest powerful build, bear aspect, bag of holding, & god knows what else that thwarted it because all of those things are so generous they take a thing that is nearly meaningless on a mechanical level & make it completely irrelevant.

They are, right?!

I dont really mind spell-fueled solutions, just as long as they arent cost-less rituals. This actually makes Power Build and such a little more looked for in term of racial choice (I go with +5 slots when I use this system.)

But I know what you mean, the minute the players are inventory is full, instead of having to make a choice (which is the goal of such system), they start complaining that they dont have those damn Bags of Holding.

I wish low level magic items would be convenient rather over-ridding a whole subsystem, thus making a bunch of features feel useless. Something like +X slots of carried loot per bag.

ThatGuySteve

Explorer
I would like to track what is being carried, but have never bothered due to the generous weight allowance and prevalence of bags of holding. When you never reach the limit, why bother.

Tracking each pound isn't fun, I don't want to count up tent items weighing 1-3lbs each. Broader weight classes, that take into account bulkiness, make sense.

You could assign items a size, following the creature size scale, with the addition of a 'negligible' category for things like coins. You can a number of items of your size equal to half your strength score unencumbered, up to your full strength encumbered. Items one size smaller count a half, two sizes smaller are negligible. Items one size larger than you count double, two sizes larger count as four.

Containers follow the same scale and rules. A tiny pouch can carry one tiny or any number of negligible items. A small satchel can carry one small, 2 tiny or any number of negligible items, etc. Alternatively assign them a capacity like "backpack: 2 medium" which can carry two medium items, four small, etc, but you couldn't fit a large item.

As a general rule for weapons, light weapons are tiny, heavy weapons are large, everything else is medium. Armour could count as 1/2/3 items of your size depending on being light/medium/heavy. Other equipment should be pretty simple to categorise.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I typically introduce a bag of holding, portable hole, or other method by which PCs can transport a large amount of 'non-combat' materials with trivial ease at 3rd level or lower. I want the players to be able to focus on the story, not the accounting for weight.

Then wouldnt it be better to just remove the weight mechanic entirelly? No need to waste space and time for carrying mechanics when everybody ignores it, just like the lifestyle rules.

chapter redistributing the weights of their backpacks, deciding if they still need to carry a crowbar, or whether they need to bring their fuzzy boots on a trek into a forest in September?

I, and its a personal preference, think that in an attrition-based game where you character's power is based on their managing of resource between rest, this is exactly the kind of stuff you should be asking yourself as a character: ''do I bring an healer's kit, a spare weapon or do keep free space to bring back treasures?''.

In my opinion, we only need two systems:

1) A "how much can you carry" system (which most people will ignore, but it's nice to have.
2) A "what happens when I'm carrying a double bass or some other kind of very cumbersome object" system.

Any encumbrance system that I would even consider using, would need to eliminate the need to do math on the exact weight of what you are carrying. I lean more towards a system of slots based on your strength, although there are obviously loopholes for any such system if you look closely.

Remove ads