post apocalyptic barberian action

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Back in the day, there was a comic book I followed; Vampire Planet, the would was Post Apocalyptic, man became barbarians with the higher tech level being a vampire race. The vamps lived in fortresses and would hunt humans for their blood and create monsters from them. Radiation would create other creatures.

Ha and there's a savage worlds version too...that could make it surprisingly easy. :)

in that case, Hook, Line and Sinker time.

Hook: The IzNots (until I can get a better title) are trying to get an artifact known as "The Princess." It is rumored that it was one of the many devices that caused the world to become the way it was.
Line: Your motley crew must get to the princess first. They must bipass the defences and get there.
Sinker: The Princess is actually an upgraded Tamagotchi that was sick of being neglected and has somehow merged with a missile silo. She needs apeasement or she's going to be angry.

How's that?
Missile silos use data systems so old they are unhackable. They also require massive power systems to launch.

MattW has an excellent idea.

The core idea of capturing a superweapon (by the age's standard) is not a bad one; after all, it is a mainstay of the fantasy genre. But a more practical system would be a functioning 3D printer, and for secondary missions, templates for it. Requiring only a moderate power supply and wire, it could equip a force with small arms and the non-propellant components of ammunition.

It could also be used to build copies of itself, so as to function as a 'seed' for an entire industrial system. So rather than one expendable, impractical weapon the target would be something that could, in just a few years, transform a faction into a regional or even national power.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Hmmm...that 3D printer idea gives ME an idea.

Knowledge is power.

Somebody finds a small computer (and working power supply- maybe solar?) with a large hard drive of info (and/or a stash of removable drives) might be able to be a king. Or nearly oracular kingmaker.

Depending on the original owner’s interests, there could be data on locations of natural resources, useful scientific/engineer formulae, farming techniques, nutrition, toxic plants, etc.

Think Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court on steroids.

Possession of such a thing might be worth killing for in a post-apocalyptic setting.

Hmmm...that 3D printer idea gives ME an idea.

Knowledge is power.

Somebody finds a small computer (and working power supply- maybe solar?) with a large hard drive of info (and/or a stash of removable drives) might be able to be a king. Or nearly oracular kingmaker.

Depending on the original owner’s interests, there could be data on locations of natural resources, useful scientific/engineer formulae, farming techniques, nutrition, toxic plants, etc.

Think Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court on steroids.

Possession of such a thing might be worth killing for in a post-apocalyptic setting.
Very good.

One issue that few post-apoc settings takes into account is that nearly all shallow-deposit resources have long since been exhausted, making salvage the only source for metals. Fossil fuels will be limited without heavy equipment and infrastructure; coal could be obtained for a while from existing mountain-cropping, but oil and natural gas won't be available a couple years after a fall.

That would make data on producing grain and wood alcohol vital, as they are the only real fuel that will be available a generation past the fall.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
As always, the exact natural environment and surviving societal structures will depend HEAVILY on the nature of the apocalypse.

A world where contagion or zombie horde wiped out most sentient creatures would look different from one doomed by climate change, “Grey goo”, global/multiplanet/multiplanar conflict or one that suffered a celestial bombardment.

Well, we are using my handy, dandy generic post-apocalyptic map.

max.png

Using the city of Styxx from Darwin's world (it's where landmark city is on the map).

Long story short my players dived into an underground bunker in the house to trounce IzNotz.

The place smelt of Saurkraut and fear.

They collected suspiciously cribbed treasure.

They rescued Scorpia and her little friend Snappy.

They also found the Journal of Otto Skorzeny on the 23rd (where they found out their Tamagotchi Nora is actually spelled Norad, and one character is seriously jealous because he outright says he has a Jetpack: neener, neener).

After cleaning out the area, they are in the trader's district of Styxx where half the party wants downtime to purchase stuff and the other half wants to incite a slave rebellion.

They also want payback on the gargantuan-headed psychic guy Doctor Henrich von Megamind as they killed his puppet doppelganger an episode earlier.
I do like the idea of a 3d printer. the party has already smashed a computer and a radio station so I expect similar results.

They have been horking guns off the opponent and using them because yesh Savage Worlds loves their guns. Been only using single shot guns and if the opponents had been wildcards, they probably would have been heavily wounded.

open to suggestions on how to proceed.

edit: here's the twitch stream for your own horror and amusement.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1025299518

Last edited:

Remove ads