• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Potential Player to DM: "What Is Your Mortality Rate?"

Psion

Adventurer
Undead Pete said:
Most likely this is due to 2 house rules I use
a) Death occurs when a PC passes negative CON, not -10. It just makes sense to me that hardier individuals would cling to life longer.

OTOH, my "instead of -10" rule is the result of a secretly rolled con check. Which makes combat more daunting... as it should be!

Chimera

First Post
Hey, it's yet another PC Death thread!

No death, no risk, no fun. For me, anyways. Yeah, the availability of Raise Dead cuts into the risk and the tension, but removing those spells altogether just irritates me. As do GMs who won't kill me no matter what I do. As noted by someone else, my experience has shown that those are the same guys who absolutely WILL NOT tolerate any deviation from their scripts. (your milage may vary.)

Raise Dead should come with a cost, and it does. It should also be more difficult to obtain than simply walking up to your local Walmart and slapping down a small fortune. Archbishop Fezzlewinkle may have better things to do than raise some yokel and it might take a bit of effort to convince him otherwise.

Also, remember the time limit. I have seen PCs not be able to be raised if only because of that. They couldn't get to a high enough level cleric *of the right religion* in time. There have also been times where 'gee sorry' it's just not available due to in-game circumstances, such as wars and major events ("sorry, we're too busy raising the Duke's men").

Rahkan

First Post
I'm surprised no one thinks of the Brust Solution

In Steven Brust's novels ressurection was incredibly common and most assassins charged a little bit extra to make the target unrevivifiable. In a fantasy campaign there should be no reason why a character should ever be let go with simply death (if there is spare time). His head should be cut off or his body burnt. When facing level 6+ characters its as good as saying 'Come back and kill me' if you don't at least try to destroy the body of a dead or unconscious character (so he can't be raised with raise dead).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads