D&D 5E Potions of spells which require concentration

baradtgnome

First Post
Last adventure my character went to zero hp while invisible. 2nd level spell from potion. This raised the question I had not considered - does the imbiber of a potion have to concentrate on the spell if that spell normally requires same?

I only have the basic rules at the moment, not sure if this questioned is answered anywhere. I get the implications both ways. Just wanted to know if there was a rule somewhere on this... or is this a ruling. :)

KarinsDad

Adventurer
The person drinking the potion is not casting a spell. The person who put the spell into the potion cast the spell. I suspect that the answer in the DMG will be that drinking a potion does not require concentration.

Jaelommiss

First Post
The LMoP booklet makes no mention of requiring concentration for either potion of invisibility or potion of flying. Both say that they affect the user for one hour, and until you attack or cast a spell in the case of the invisibility potion. No other conditions for ending the effect are mentioned.

Tormyr

Adventurer
Check the Potion of Growth in the Rise of Tiamat supplement. It specifically mentions that no concentration is required to maintain the enlarged size for the duration. I imagine that other concentration spells will be similar.

Not requiring concentration also has the benefit of providing an in-game reason for why spellcasters would spend time making all of these potions you get handed to you like candy, when it's generally a lot cheaper and easier to just cast the spell.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Publisher
Yeah this makes potions more valuable. I think that's good, provided potions cant be bought ie are relatively rare. If potions are easily bought, caster utility becomes considerably less valuable.

Chocolategravy

First Post
Not requiring concentration also has the benefit of providing an in-game reason for why spellcasters would spend time making all of these potions you get handed to you like candy, when it's generally a lot cheaper and easier to just cast the spell.
It's also cheaper and easier to hire a bunch of low level casters to follow you along and buff you with all that gold you can't spend on magic items and have a hard time spending on poison since it's illegal.

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
Yeah this makes potions more valuable. I think that's good, provided potions cant be bought ie are relatively rare. If potions are easily bought, caster utility becomes considerably less valuable.

It worries me that you could end up stacking a bunch of potions to fly around while
Invisible and stoneskinned. Obviously the DM can prevent that, if they keep a close tally of what the pcs have stashed away in their bags for 10 levels.

Tortoise

First Post
It worries me that you could end up stacking a bunch of potions to fly around while
Invisible and stoneskinned. Obviously the DM can prevent that, if they keep a close tally of what the pcs have stashed away in their bags for 10 levels.

This makes me think bringing back the Potion Miscibility Table would be a fun idea.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases