• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Potterdammerung: Prepared?

What Will You Be Doing For The Last Book?

• Standing in line before midnight

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • Going to the bookstore for the midnight party

Votes: 13 18.3%
  • Preordered from Amazon or other source

Votes: 20 28.2%
  • Getting the book later after all the fuss has died down

Votes: 21 29.6%
  • 972nd on the library waiting list

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Other

Votes: 15 21.1%

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
We pre-ordered from Amazon back in January, received it Saturday morning before 11 a.m.

I really like the UK adult cover, although I find it kind of amusing that booksellers in Britain think that adults would be ashamed to be seen reading the kiddie version.

And yes, closure is good. It's not like the world won't welcome JKR returning to the world of Hogwarts any time she feels like it. Tell the story, move on and do, well, whatever you want to do, Richest Woman in Britain.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Tell the story, move on and do, well, whatever you want to do, Richest Woman in Britain.
Tsk, tsk, tsk. HRH Prince Charles missed the boat on this woman. But hey, ugly attracts ugly.

:p

(Thank Gawd Princes William and Harry are more like their beloved mother.)

Randolpho

First Post
Ranger REG said:
Tsk, tsk, tsk. HRH Prince Charles missed the boat on this woman.
Maybe Harry or William will marry Jessica Rowling (who will be legal in a few years, I think) to seal the alliance.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Mouseferatu said:
Bwah?!

She's said from almost day one that her plan was to write seven books and bring it to an end. This is hardly a surprise.

But more to the point, I personally prefer that the series--and that most series--have some closure. Very few completely open-ended series (not counting licensed settings, where people are telling different stories in different areas with different characters) are worth it, IMO. I prefer an author go into it with a plan, and a story arc. Beginning, middle, and end.

I agree totally.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Mouseferatu said:
Bwah?!

She's said from almost day one that her plan was to write seven books and bring it to an end. This is hardly a surprise.

But more to the point, I personally prefer that the series--and that most series--have some closure. Very few completely open-ended series (not counting licensed settings, where people are telling different stories in different areas with different characters) are worth it, IMO. I prefer an author go into it with a plan, and a story arc. Beginning, middle, and end.
But does that means she's through with Harry Potter on the literary front? Or will she start up a new series of books for the Potter-verse franchise?

Ranger REG said:
But does that means she's through with Harry Potter on the literary front? Or will she start up a new series of books for the Potter-verse franchise?

Dunno. But I'd be okay with it if she did, as long as it really was a brand new story.

Ranger REG said:
She's said several times that once the seven book cycle, she was pretty much done with Potterverse. The only new Potter-related tome she might release is an encyclopedia with all the background fluff on the setting, which would be a for-charity book like Quidditch and Creatures books were.

She has made it a point to avoid saying she'll "never" do another Potter book, admitting that while there's no immediate desire to do so, things may change down the road. But that's in the future, which always in motion it is, difficult to see.

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
I'm glad it had a finite number of books. I don't know how many people I've talked to (myself included) just got burnt out when the Wheel of Time went on and on and on....and on....

and on....

and on....

and is still going on and on and on...

JediSoth

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads