• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Power Lunge

DM2

First Post
reapersaurus said:
Frank - you're too "young" here to be dismissing people's statements.

We're TELLING you, Power Lunge gives +8 damage to someone with a +4 STR mod.
No more, no less.
That's the way it is played across the world - you are werlcome to argue it, and I agree that it is a far cry from the original language, but that's the way it was erratted by WotC.

I disagree with most of what I see Frank write, but he does still warrant an explanation from people who counter his arguments, regardless of their post count though.

I know what you mean, about his dismissive attitude, but could someone who understands why the "world" plays that way explain why?

The errata doesn't really clear anything up. The sentence is still fairly ambiguous after the addition of "regardless of whether you’re using one- or two-handed weapons.".

DM2, or "He who also has a low post count"

Corwin

Explorer
I got a couple of comments for this thread...

1st: Pah-lease! Post count means squat (if even that). I've been around for years and my post count is still way under 1,000. Why? I tend not to bother putting up innane, superfluous, MeToo or OT posts just to get some arbitrary number up. I think we can all agree that it is obvious that post count has little to do with anything substantial. And people who dwell on their post count and work to get their number up is quit alien to me.

I don't recall seeing Monte Cook around here. Is he a registered user around these parts? If he were to show up and start posting, I'm sure we would dismiss him for his silly, puny post count and lack of seniority, right? :rolleyes:

Anyway, dismiss a person's points or comments based on their content or substance, not because they don't have a high post count. That's just lame, IMO.

2nd: We do Power Lunge as a +1x multiplier. So one-handed does x2 and two-handed does x2.5. "Eratta" be darned. It's silly to do it as a flat x2 regardless of weapon or handedness. Works for us, anyway.

DM2

First Post
This feat really probably should have been restricted to one handed piercing weapons as well, given the name of the feat.

You are basically lunging forward deep onto one leg to put extra power behind a thrust, as I imagine it (based on fencing), which leaves you open to attack of opportunity as you overcommit to a thrust.

But it wasn't, so no argument here...just an aside.

DM2

FrankTrollman

First Post
Never-the-less, regardless of what the writer intended that is the way it is played.

By you. It is also played the other way.

That is because 'normal' str mod, is your str mod. Regardless of whether you are using one or two handed weapon.

Right. And then it doesn't tell you to not add the two handed weapon modifier. All that "regardless of whether you are using a one or two handed weapon" statement means is that you don't multiply the doubling by the 1.5 to get x3 like you do when you score a critical or use headlong rush.

This was clarified by the Sage in an e-mail reply.

No. It was "clarified" by Skip Williams' office that way in an e-mail reply. His office also "clarified" it the other way on numerous occassions, because it's unclear and Skip Williams answers his email with a staff of people just like WotC's custserv.

There was a whole thing about this on the WotC boards about two years ago.

So I'm sorry if I'm sounding dismissive of you - this is a very complicated issue with a lot of evidence on both sides which has been resolved.

The total damage is 1d12+10. Really. That's common sense, that's author intent, and it's what the rules say.

It's really very confusing, and poorly written, but it's true.

-Frank

AGGEMAM

First Post
Corwin said:
I don't recall seeing Monte Cook around here. Is he a registered user around these parts?

Yes, he is registered as monte@home

2nd: We do Power Lunge as a +1x multiplier. So one-handed does x2 and two-handed does x2.5. "Eratta" be darned. It's silly to do it as a flat x2 regardless of weapon or handedness. Works for us, anyway.

He actually gave a reason for his ruling, but we have to invoke the powers of Artoomis', Kreynolds, or Hypersmurfs impressive memory to get that.

Btw, no, it was not his 'office', it was him personally.

AGGEMAM

First Post
FrankTrollman said:
So I'm sorry if I'm sounding dismissive of you - this is a very complicated issue with a lot of evidence on both sides which has been resolved.

I couldn't care less whether you think you are being dismissive or not.

Your opinion has been noted. That you are wrong IMO is also evident.

But also since this is going nowhere, I'll refrain from divulding any further ..

Corwin

Explorer
AGGEMAM said:
Yes, he is registered as monte@home

Hmmm, yeah. I think I recall seeing him around way back now that you mention it.

My point still stands regarding post counts and the lack of weight they should hold when determining the value of someone's comments.

AGGEMAM said:
He actually gave a reason for his ruling, but we have to invoke the powers of Artoomis', Kreynolds, or Hypersmurfs impressive memory to get that.

I'm not sure why you are responding to me with this? Who's ruling and what does that have to do with my comment about how we do it in our game?

AGGEMAM said:
Btw, no, it was not his 'office', it was him personally.

I don't think you are responding to me, but rather to Frank, right? Otherwise I'm at a loss as to your point.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
AGGEMAM said:

Not as impressive as all that, I'm afraid.

I know that the ruling I've seen, and use (with 3E, since it's a 3E feat), is that with a weapon used in one hand, you add your Str bonus to your normal damage; with a weapon used in two hands, you add 1.5x Str bonus to your normal damage; and with Power Lunge, you add 2x Str bonus to your normal damage, regardless of whether the weapon is used in one or two hands.

So with a longsword and 18 Str:

One-handed: 1d8+4
Two-handed: 1d8+6
One-handed w/ Power Lunge: 1d8+8
Two-handed w/ Power Lunge: 1d8+8

... or in other words, I agree with Aggemam, Dwarmaj, and Reapersaurus.

-Hyp.

AGGEMAM

First Post
Corwin said:
I'm not sure why you are responding to me with this? Who's ruling and what does that have to do with my comment about how we do it in our game?

I don't think you are responding to me, but rather to Frank, right? Otherwise I'm at a loss as to your point.

Both of these point were directed at the discussion in the thread. While the first was a comment directed at you. Sorry for any confusion that might have arisen.

Anyway, postcount really doesn't matter, IMO. However someone who has been here a long time and has many posts, will generally be regarded as having more 'weight' behind his words. Off course that hinges on whether the poster has a good reputation for being correct in rules questions. Many people here have 1000s of posts but haven't really posted in the rules forum at all. Others vice-versa. I never dismiss anyones opinion just for being newbies, never.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads