Power Sources purely cosmetic?

Khuxan

First Post
When the three PH 1 power sources were annouced, I anticipated they would have a significant effect on characters - maybe that all martial classes would draw from a single pool of powers.

However, as it has turned out, it seems power sources are purely cosmetic. Warlocks have completely different powers to wizards, and the same is true for paladins and clerics, and so on.

Is my interpretation correct? Could we dispense with power sources altogether for no mechanical changes?

Khaalis

Adventurer
The impression I get, and this is purely speculation at this point, is that Power Source is the defining characteristic that determines the TYPE of powers that fall within that category. For instance, Radiance is primarily (or even exclusively?) a part of the Divine shtick. We also know that they have said that the Psionic Power Source will be the best at Mind-Affecting / Charm style powers. The Martial Power Source has rule over melee and ranged physical attack powers, etc. So this is how Power Source comes into play. You would not for instance see a power like "Stunning Fist" as a Divine Power as it should be a Martial Power. JMHO.

MaelStorm

First Post
Honestly, I think power sources are all messed up. Illusion should be linked to Shadow and elements with Primal, yet Wizards can cast all these spells and is linked to the Arcane power source! The class roles are clearly defined, but what really define power sources? I tend to agree with you Khuxan, maybe we should dispense of power source.

Or Wizard of the Coast should explain (or define) more clearly what mechanic is behind power sources in a future PHB or DMG feature article.

DreamChaser

Explorer
My take is that power source is 60% cosmetic and 40% crunch.

Within the 40%, we have the variations we have seen so far:

Martial
- non-magical (though impressive)
- weapon / skill driven
- broadly reliable powers

Divine
- holy symbol implement; sometimes weapon driven
- multiple powers drawing from the same well (such as channeling: several things that could be done with the single "encounter" ability.)
- tend toward dual attack / buff effects rather than one powerful effect (increase damage and protect ally)

Arcane
- orb/wand/staff implement
- focused effects (powerful attack) or dual attack de-buff effects
- with wizard at least, option of multiple effect options within a single daily slot.

For other sources, I would expect similar distinctions.

DC

FadedC

First Post
I don't think we have seen any evidence yet that power sources are anything but cosmetic. Martial characters have exploits, divine have prayers and arcane have spells.....but we haven't seen any significant differences between these besides the flavor.

I guess the one difference we have seen is in what they hold in their main hand. Martial characters tend to use weapons, divine holy symbols, and arcane arcane implements. Though it's worth noting that divine characters appear to have powers based on both weapons and holy symbols, while the sword mage will almost certainly use weapons too.

DreamChaser

Explorer
MaelStorm said:
Honestly, I think power sources are all messed up. Illusion should be linked to Shadow and elements with Primal, yet Wizards can cast all these spells and is linked to the Arcane power source!

I think they are. I bet the sorcerer will blow the wizard out of the water (pun intended) for elemental "Rites" and the Illusionist will have tricked out illusions just like the psion will have tricked out charm effects. They have said that they were wanting to focus the wizard (who was really a do everything guy in past editions) and allow other classes to shine but they did not say they were stripping the wizard of all archetypal elements.

DC

Khaalis

Adventurer
Well I believe they have always said that there will be some cross-over in power sources, such as a Wizard having access to minor forms of Charm/Enchantment powers, but each Power Source has a defining character to its power that makes up the "bulk" of that power source's type of powers.

For instance in Worlds & Monsters, they specifically state (though granted this may have changed somewhat since then):
"Shadow is a power source. Involved with stealth, illusion, dread, 'devastating enemies' and 'necrotic energy'"

However, this does not mean that a Wizard cannot have some access to Illusion powers. It just isn't their primary shtick.

Power Sources are more a flavor defining "mechanic" than a purely game stat mechanic. You can't simply say that only Shadow Power Source classes can use "Illusion" or "Necrotic" powers. Its not that black and white. What SHOULD be able to say is that Shadow classes will be the BEST at these types of powers - both in having the best overall powers and having the widest range of powers within their shtick.

At least this is my understanding of everything we have seen so far.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
I think one main difference, besides for fluff is yeah as some have put, the manner inwhich the classes use their powers.

Martial with their weaponry and physical prowess.

Arcane with their knowledge and implements/spells.

Divine with their wisdom and divine powers/radiance.

PeterWeller

First Post
Like roles, I see power sources as rough guidelines as to what kinds of powers a character possesses. Neither of these two terms is meant to define restrictions and create strict categories. Instead, they (the terminology) are an example of the design transparency that is built into 4E D&D. I.E. the terms define general and rough categories that influenced the design decisions of 4E. By describing a class as a martial defender, for instance, they give a general outline of what kinds of powers that class possesses. Power source describes theme, while role describes implementation.

Remove ads