• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Preparing for 4e - What campaign will you run?

Cadfan

First Post
Homebrew, with heavy influences from Points of Light. And by "points of light," I don't mean the default setting assumptions, I mean the design principle. What are dwarves like in my homebrew? Well, if there aren't any dwarf PCs, and I don't need the PCs to visit any dwarf kingdoms, and if there aren't any dwarves in town, well, then what dwarves are like will be undefined up until the moment I actually need them. I'll focus on just the things that matter to the characters.

My current plan is to use the feywild and/or shadowfell. I'll have each one operate like a pseudo version of the real world, with events in each affecting events in the other. I want to create a plotline where feedback between events on two of the realms has led to some disaster in the real world, where switching back and forth between the two worlds in order to interact with the same locations in both forms is important, and where the game starts out with the other realm being dangerous and mysterious, and where eventually that realm becomes a safe haven from the real world once things really hit the fan.

Something like,

1: Evil Dude has performed the dreaded Dark Ritual to gain power by tapping directly into the Shadowfell, and now undead roam the countryside.
2: The PCs attempt to defeat him in the real world, make gains, but discover that his true source of power exists primarily in the Shadowfell, and must be combatted there.
3: The PCs venture carefully into the Shadowfell, which turns out to be pretty dangerous.
4: They amass power, fight against Evil Dude, and eventually wound him sorely.
5: He uses his Ultimate Weapon, resulting in zombie plague which overruns the PCs region in the real world.
6: But there are no zombies in the Shadowfell, making it safer. The PCs find refuge there, and now make occasional forays into the even-more-dangerous Real World, for supplies, food, and a chance to defeat Evil Dude once and for all.

Something like that. That's a cheesy outline, but you get the idea. Shadowfell could be replaced with Feywild pretty easily, if the nature of Evil Dude is altered. I won't use the whole planar cosmology- I just want a shadow version of reality. I don't need the rest of the baggage to accomplish what I want.

Maybe Evil Dude can only be defeated for once and for all by something accessible in the Feywild, so the PCs must journey from their refuge in the Shadowfell into the Real World, then to the even more dangerous Feywild, and back. Who knows?

Insight

Adventurer
I'm working on a setting specifically for 4E, although I'm not planning to use absolutely everything from the rules. I have some pretty specific ideas for the setting and I can't fit Eladrin (for example) very well into my concept. On the flip side, Tieflings and Dragonborn (albeit with changed names) fit very well. I'm gonna try to fit in as much 4E boilerplate as possible, but the setting concept I have is fairly solid and I don't want to warp it just to fit in a few outliers. Not sure about the Feywild and Shadowfell either. Need to see more about it.

One thing I like, and I need to see the mechanics to see how it will fit into campaign planning, but the concept of the heroic / paragon / epic tiers... I guess its something that we have been using for a while without the mechanics. It's something that I'd like to focus on more during campaign planning. Makes good organizational sense.

Last edited:

Grymar

Explorer
Eberron for me. The amount of support it has will decide how quickly I move from 3.5 to 4. If there are no rules for shifters, artificers, warforged, and so on then I won't move until the core book comes out in 09.

Conjurer

Explorer
Cadfan said:
My current plan is to use the feywild and/or shadowfell. I'll have each one operate like a pseudo version of the real world, with events in each affecting events in the other. I want to create a plotline where feedback between events on two of the realms has led to some disaster in the real world, where switching back and forth between the two worlds in order to interact with the same locations in both forms is important, and where the game starts out with the other realm being dangerous and mysterious, and where eventually that realm becomes a safe haven from the real world once things really hit the fan.

I think this is genius, and I'm not above borrowing a good idea when I see one. Thanks

Wormwood

Adventurer
My campaign will probaly begin in whatever starter town I get in the DMG (or from Dungeon), and we will chart a course through the D&D core campaign world from publiched adventure to published adventure.

kennew142

First Post
I was lucky in that my current FR campaign was already approaching a climax. I was working on a reboot/reimagining of an old campaign for 3.5 when the announcement came. Since then, I've been working on a 4e reimagining.

The campaign is set in a region called the Sea of Endymion, where all of the lands were conquered 350 years ago by Xandia the Witch Queen of Sadiroth, whose reign of terror and blood lasted for 200 years. 150 years ago, a group of heroes (the last known epic heroes in the region) defeated Xandia. The current nations of the area are coping with many issues, such as the Cult of Xandia (which looks forward to her return), an increasing number of shadow eruptions (intrusions from a region of shadowfell called the Shadow Labyrinth), and the growing strength of the Takkur (orc) tribes coming from the Sea of Grass.

The campaign is set (at least to start) in the city and duchy of Elocia, a wealthy trading city that has fallen under the power of the (somewhat less sophisticated but more militaristic) kingdom of Maruvan. Many factions vie for control of the city, including a royalist faction (hoping to undermine the duke to increase the power of the king in the city), a republican faction (hoping to institute a republican form of government), the orthodox church of light, several criminal gangs and various noble families - not mention the cults of the Whisperer Beneath the Waves, Zathoqua, Xandia, the King in Yellow and the mysterious Overmind.

I post regular previews at my gaming blog (URL in sig below).

Ragnar69

First Post
I'm thinking of using 4e fluff, with inspiration from my favorite settings thrown in. The starting area will be Cardolan from Middle-Earth 1412 third age (Angmar was just defeated, but not much of the northern kingdoms remained), probably with the DMG starter town thrown in somewhere.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Depending on how it comes out, the Pathfinder setting may fit the bill. It sounds like it will be a POL setting in many ways and I've enjoyed the Pathfinder series and have heard good things about their smaller modules.

Remove ads