• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Prerequisites for Multiclassing

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
I am considering in my next D&D campaign to have prerequisites for multiclassing to core classes, and I was just wondering what people thought. The intent isn't to nerf multiclassing (I would also probably get ride of MC penalties altogether), but to 'enforce concept'.

Barbarian: BAB +1 and 2 ranks of Survival
Bard: 2 ranks Perform and 2 ranks in any other Cha based skill (Bluff, Diplomacy, etc...)
Cleric: Knowledge: Religion 2 ranks and patrron deity.
Druid: Knowledge: Nature 2 ranks and either Survival 2 ranks or Handle Animal 2 ranks.
Fighter: BAB +1 and Martial Weapon Proficiency (feat or class ability)
Monk: Improved Unarmed Combat and 2 ranks of Climb, Jump or Tumble.
Ranger: Martial Weapon Proficiency (as fighter) and 2 ranks Survival.
Rogue: 2 skills at 2 ranks each from the following list: Appraise, Bluff, Disable Device, Hide, Move Silently, Open Locks, Search or Sleight of Hand.
Sorcerer: None. The blood does as it will.
Wizard: 2 ranks of spellcraft and 2 ranks of Craft:Alchemy.

As stated, the requirements aren't tough and not intended to hurt the player, but having the fighter who never snuck up on a foe in his life going Rogue for the skill points, or the wizard who hadn't swung anything more dangerous than a wand becoming a fighter bugs me a little.

TheGM

First Post
Interesting concept.

I actually put the onus on going to the new class - you have to go train, and it ain't gonna be quick. I don't limit multi-classing in any way, but do force players to "sit out" while their character is training and the rest of the party goes off and does stuff.

I never considered approaching it from the angle you are - I guess it doesn't matter much to me if George the fighter takes a hankering to cast spells at second level.

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
Interesting idea. On thing to think about, is that it will allow those who have the most skill points to (or feats for a couple) to be able to multiclass. (I.e. four points to crossclass skills might not be a big deal for a Int 18 Human rogue, but would be for an Int 8 Dwarven fighter.

Reynard said:

Maybe Knowledge (aracana) instead as a possible choice instead of Craft (Alchemy)? I've know quite a few wizarads who don't have any ranks in Alchemy, but Arcana seems to be essential.

balam_br

Explorer
Good job! i really liked your idea and even intend to use something like that in my campaign... Well, maybe if the players start to use multiclass characters.

Just one concern...
I think that the monk have a annoying requirement...a player needs to waste a valuable feat in Improved unarmed strike, something that he was supposed to gain for free in the class.

Even the Fighter and Ranger requirements can be avoided by carefull planning... But not the monk.

Quickleaf

Legend
Reynard said:
I am considering in my next D&D campaign to have prerequisites for multiclassing to core classes, and I was just wondering what people thought.
Yes, a good concept especially for a group that "cherry-picks" classes. I would recommend the following approach: Player says they want to multi-class. GM says "great, you'll get your first level in the class after the next session or two." This approach works well, but won't fit in a game where it takes years to train as a wizard.

Reynard said:
Barbarian: BAB +1 and 2 ranks of Survival
Bard: 2 ranks Perform and 2 ranks in any other Cha based skill (Bluff, Diplomacy, etc...)
Cleric: Knowledge: Religion 2 ranks and patrron deity.
Druid: Knowledge: Nature 2 ranks and either Survival 2 ranks or Handle Animal 2 ranks.
Fighter: BAB +1 and Martial Weapon Proficiency (feat or class ability)
Monk: Improved Unarmed Combat and 2 ranks of Climb, Jump or Tumble.
Ranger: Martial Weapon Proficiency (as fighter) and 2 ranks Survival.
Rogue: 2 skills at 2 ranks each from the following list: Appraise, Bluff, Disable Device, Hide, Move Silently, Open Locks, Search or Sleight of Hand.
Sorcerer: None. The blood does as it will.

A feat for Fighter, Ranger, and Monk is too steep. I'd make these revisions:
Fighter: BAB +1 seems fine. Maybe 2 ranks Knowledge (military) or Intimidate?
Monk: Keep the skill reqs. Maybe add 2 ranks Knowledge (religion) or Meditation (treat it as the Autohypnosis skill in the Psionic's Handbook)
Ranger: 2 ranks Survival, 2 ranks Knowledge (geography), 2 ranks Knowledge (nature)
Paladin: BAB +1, 2 ranks Knowledge (religion), patron deity, alignment req.

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
Because of the earlier comment about skill ranks and skill points from MJH (ie: this system is really hard for the fighter to multiclass, but fairly easy for the rogue), I would go with a feat system instead of skill system.

In order to multiclass into class X you need a feat specifically for it that also grants a +2 on one skill appropriate to said class.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Quickleaf said:
Paladin: BAB +1, 2 ranks Knowledge (religion), patron deity, alignment req.

D'oh! I completely forgot Paladin!

As for characters "training" for a while, the reason I wanted to use this system -- in some form -- is that it implies traning through skill/feat expenditures without having to give it a time frame. How long it takes to level up (in game time) varies greatly from campaign to campaign and even between levels in one campaign. I mean, a team of dungeon delvers clear cutting their way through a bottomless labrynth is going to take a much short time, in game, than the group walking halfway across the world, even with the same number of encounters per session.

A feat does seem a little hefty, but I think that if you really want to multiclass, it means taking a hit to show that your character is doing something to work toward mastering magic, etc... i'll have to think on the skill thing, though I agree that Know (Arcana) is a better choice than Craft (Alchemy).

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
Reynard said:
A feat does seem a little hefty, but I think that if you really want to multiclass, it means taking a hit to show that your character is doing something to work toward mastering magic, etc...

As it stands, there are already feat requirements for a few classes (Fighter, Monk & Ranger) - so instead of making them have these same feats they would be getting when they join the class in question, why not make them take another feat that they get some benefit from?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads