• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

prestige class for figther

Asheron

First Post
I was wondering if anyone here has a preference for a prestige class for a fighter. I will begin a new gaming session soon and decided I will play a fighter class character. It will be a high powered game, starting lvl 13 and I will be the main fighter in a party of 5 with a fighter/bard/bladesinger, 2 wizards and a rogue/dungeon delver. Overall the alignment is neutral/good

I was wondering because I was rather dissapointed with the S&F prestige classes.

Well.......I like to hear your ideas

Grz Ash

Frostmarrow

First Post
By having a bladesinger as main fighter in the group you really hand over the responsibility of party-survival to the DM. There is no way you can make it with this party-composition wihout the DM making serious amends. On the other hand if the DM is running a homebrew and only adventures of his own design it seems like an interesting party and a whole slew of fun! :)

Ps. Make sure you look up the errata for the bladesinger as it gets a lot better. Ds.

Asheron

First Post
For the record : The bladesinger is not the main fighter, my soon-to-be-made character will be the main fighter. Because the party was lacking real 'melee power' I decided to play a fighter-class. The party already has 4 characters and mine will be the 5th.

But I think you're right: without a main fighter and the lack of healing capabilities, this party will not make it.......thats why I will play a fighter.

But I was wondering if anyone has some nice ideas to make him more dangerous?

Frostmarrow

First Post
Well in that case... I've heard that the Templar is pretty broken. ;)

I guess it boils down to what kind of fighter you want to be. A pious one, a scholar, a mercenary, a swashbuckler? In any event the straight up fighter is amongst the most powerful in the game. Nothing can stand having large chunks of flesh being chopped off from their bodies. :)

Chun-tzu

First Post
What books can you use?

Off-hand, the Templar strikes me as possibly your best bet. Assuming that Forgotten Realms campaign book is available, you need to take either Cosmopolitan or Education so that you can get the required ranks of Knowledge: Religion by level 5. Templar is a powerful class for Fighters; full BAB, nice abilities, and divine spells.

Divine Champion from FRCS is another nice PrC, in that you gain a lot and lose little. With both Templar and Divine Champion, you want to choose your deity carefully, as they both spend feats on the deity's weapon of choice. So, for example, if you prefer the greatsword, you might want Torm as your deity.

The Eldritch Warrior from Book of Eldritch Might II is pretty cool.

At level 13, a cleric can make a powerful melee combatant. Something to think about. If you don't want to be a full-fledged cleric, then even just one level of cleric is still quite nice. Two domain powers, a boost to your Will save, and the ability to use cheap Cure Light Wounds wands.

If the Psionics Handbook is available, nothing absorbs damage like a Psychic Warrior with the errata's Vigor and Improved Vigor. True, they don't dish out as much damage as Fighters, but they're competent warriors, can take more punishment than anyone, and have some nice psychic powers and feats. Even better, if you take one level of Egoist and the power Lesser Body Adjustment, then take the feat Trigger Power with it, you will be able to heal yourself at a very low cost (almost free). very valuable, especially if the group has no cleric.

Nvvyn

First Post
I'm definetly thinking Tempest from the Masters of the Wild handbook. He is a great dual wielding fighitng machine. He gets off-hand parry which u will need because you'll be alone! and tons of attacks. I suggest going with 2 keen scimitars and getting imporved critical strike. ur crit range will be 12+ which is just amazing. Also with feats like mobility/expertise you can easily have 40+ ac in any given turn. And if you make an all out dexer you could have an amazing attack bonus(weapon finesse) and AC. Starting at 18 dex, +3 for ur levels thats 21, then get the gloves of dex +4 I think there only like 24Kgp. thats 25 dex so +7 to hit, +7 ac. and when u hit level 16 u'll be up to 26 dex +8/+8 :)
If you don't want to go the Keen/improved crit route, then get some defender swords. Since your going to be the only fighter in essence, your going to take the brute of all the attacks. Having a massive AC with help big time. Don't be afraid to drop ur attack -5 and pump ur AC +5 every round with expertise, it will allow you to get hit much less and let the mages do their work. Not having a cleric is another good reason to go pure defense.

In one round you could have mithral chain+2 for 7ac, 6 from dex, 5 from expertise, 1 from dodge, 4 from mobility if ur moving in/out threatened area's, 2-4 from defender weapons, and 2-4 from off-hand parry dpeending on ur level. thats 33 AC at the low-end and if ur get attacks of oppurtunity from enemies its 37 on the low. With two +2 defender weapons and the +4 off-hand parry thats 41 ac right there. plus u still had natural armor items and rings of protection etc.. anyways enough of my rambling Lemme know what u think

Nightchilde-2

First Post
DM Headaches 101

Forget the Templar. If you really wanna give your DM a headache, go for Forsaker out of Masters of the Wild. :)

We have one of these guys in my game. They're..uh..messed up. :)

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
If you want to go really munchkin then play a halfling fighter, take all the mounted combat feats and then buy a riding dog. Blag like hell to try and get a Legendary/Dire/Half Fiendish or similarly overpowered one, then claim that it's a medium sized animal and can go anywhere a human can. Yay! Dungeoneering from 'horseback'. If that isn't silly enough then you could always try mixing in a few levels of rogue so you can partake in charging ride-by sneak attacks with a lance.

If you want something that your GM isn't going to throttle you for then I'd try - Druid/Shifter (from masters of the wild). Not an amazing fighter, until you turn into some huge slavering monster. The Oriental Adventures/Rogukan books have some nice stuff in, if the GM allows it... although I've heard quite a few people claim that it's unbalanced for use in 'regular' DnD.

Asheron

First Post
tnx for the info.............

I think the Tempest will work best for me in the current party and situation. I'll go for the version with two weapon fighting; it is indeed devastating. I'll be a little more vulnerable but it turnsout we have a full cleric after all so that helps............

BTW the mounted halfling fighter is very cool :p

Grz Ash

Remove ads