• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Prestigious Classes from UA

Pax

Banned
Banned
Unless you negotiate with your DM, and play a variant Druid who gets undead turning instead of, say, wildshaping. ^_^

Then again, Druids can only be LN, NG, CN, NE, or TN. Paladins must be LG (and CG, CE, or LE if you use the variant paladins in UA). Which means, without changing alignments and losing some of your Druid-ness, no druid can become a paladin, regardless.

sledged

First Post
Pax said:
Druids can only be LN, NG, CN, NE, or TN.
That's something I hadn't considered. One of things I liked best about the 3E ranger is that it had no alignment restrictions. If hadn't already made up my mind to use martial versions of the prestigious paladin and ranger, the last two posts alone would have sold me on the idea.

Pax said:
Paladins must be LG (and CG, CE, or LE if you use the variant paladins in UA).
Which reminds me of another reason I decided to go with the prestigious paladin; I had considered allowing the UA's variant paladins, but I didn't like them because I felt they were just knock-offs of the standard paladin. "Good and evil are not simply mirror images of each other." I can't remember where I first read this, but it made complete sense when I did, and I suppose the same could be true about law and chaos. I also felt that since there's already the blackguard PrC, the LE and CE paladins were just redundant. The blackguard fills the role of anti-paladin well enough on its own. Which only left the anarchic-paladin version, and thanks to the DotF/CD, we have the holy liberator which fills that little niche nicely. Lastly, since holy liberator and blackguard were prestige classes, it only made sense to use the prestigious paladin instead of the base class version.

dcollins

Explorer
sledged said:
Which reminds me of another reason I decided to go with the prestigious paladin... The blackguard fills the role of anti-paladin well enough on its own. Which only left the anarchic-paladin version, and thanks to the DotF/CD, we have the holy liberator which fills that little niche nicely.

Totally agree with that. That's just what we've done, too.

Ranger REG

Explorer
sledged said:
Would you use a blanket rule (e.g. all races that had paladin as a favored class now have fighter as a favored class), or would you do it on a case-by-case basis?
Case-by-case. For example, the gnome's favored class is the bard. If the prestige bard class is used in lieu of the bard character class, then I have to go back to the old way: Wizard.

sledged

First Post
dcollins said:
Totally agree with that. That's just what we've done, too.
Of course now I have the problem of me wanting to use a martial version of the Holy Liberator and determining with what ability(ies) to replace its spells. Oddly enough, I've got no problem with the Blackguard using spells. Somehow, it seems fitting to me to leave it the way it is.

Remove ads